A quiet day on Blackheath, light NE breeze and a first sighting of swifts against the blue sky and bubbling cumulus.
Took the Della Porta: Eight rhomboids 1993 today but didn’t check to see if the tails were in the bag. As with the other two kites from this period the tails are actually bagged separately…
Still, no broken spars in this one and there is a chance to try it next weekend ahead of the Scarborough event the following weekend. I’ll try to sort the broken 5 spars for the big
We took all the team kit to Blackheath today for de-sanding. Many hands made relatively light work of this necessary process.
Some of the sand dust is well and truly ingrained in the mesh and fabric of the full vent sails. Only a thorough soaking will remove that!
It has been an energetic month with 21 flying days since 5th April. I did not get to fly a kite today and have been reviewing images from Cervia this afternoon. Many of them have been posted on Facebook already!
I had decided not to make notes during the event and do find myself somewhat at a loss to find the words and details to summarise Cervia. It was a very good event, needless to say!
Caterina made it known that she wanted to talk about our ‘location’ for the event and had planned to reduce the size of the single line art kite area where we have been for quite a few years now and add a new area to the south of the main arena for the displaced art kites with us as a buffer before the large ‘in
It was my 25th visit to Berck according to the records that we have. Conditions were not forecast to be good but we survived the only one really wet day and mostly coped with the offshore wind spells. The NE winds were often pushed round to a northerly flow by the sea-land tendency.
Conditions were not good for flying the JMH collection kites much of the time and there were space constraints. It is not good manners to occupy temporarily vacant space where tethered kites have landed… The
Preparations rather than the clock change meant I did not get to Blackheath until 11:15am. Quite a steady ENE breeze so we did put up full vented 1.5s with green race. All very straightforwards so far!
I hoped to test fly some of the JMH kites today and started with the Della Porta: Four rhomboids 1993. Not knowing this format of kite (same as Della Porta: 4 squares) I was anxious to find a way to manage the bridle initially and then move the kite to a safe launch point. The kite is 4 m
The forecast indicated light NW breeze and some broken cloud.
The breeze was just a bit too light for the Double / Single Eddy stack 1989. I had replaced the spreaders and found today that the main spars are very brittle which given that they are 30 years old is hardly surprising!
Did some more bridle adjustments on the Della Porta: 4 squares but something is not quite right. Probably need to start from the beginning again!
I did remember to take Rev handles but didn’t get a c
Fortunately this was the one Sunday in March that Jacob was in London so we could start assessing the JMH kites.
Ironically having been concentrating on selecting kites to try and additional equipment I had left my Rev handles at home. Spares were offered but I did not get to fly a Rev today! For those that did it was RSS sails which gives an indication of the wind speed, probably about 15mph I would guess.
First up was a set of 6 banners. Now we remember why we don’t do banners at
It was windy as forecast so I did not expect to be on site for long today. Soon after arriving there were relatively long spell where the RSS kites were quite comfortable.
Gradually the length of the calmer spells shortened and so kites on the ground time increased. It did not feel as if anything was going to break but it was sufficiently uncomfortable flying so we called it a day at about midday.
The Aarhus trip was straightforward but I have to go back to collect four more kites we
The weather for the 10th March still does not look promising. We didn’t even try today given the rain and wind!
All set for Aarhus, Wednesday. The prospect of so many unique kites to fly is a bit exciting. A whole new chapter, even.
Blue sky and sunshine in Hackney but heading towards the Blackwall Tunnel there was fog closer to the Thames with the tops of the Canary Wharf buildings appearing above it. Emerging from the tunnel south of the river it was fairly dense fog but at the top of the Sun in the Sands hill the sun was shining again in a blue sky.
A light east north easterly breeze was only just perceptible when we arrived but it did strengthen gradually and switch to more easterly before the thermal activity rea
Our arrival today coincided with the southerly breeze freshening somewhat so we eventually decided on full vented 1.5s with mostly race frames after having tried full sail and mid vents as well. The breeze was mostly c11mph but often more and with just the occasional lull.
Full sunshine as well to the point that I was feeling that I had too many layers!
Six up so mostly called and accompanied flying today. Steve Reich, Pat Metheny: Electric Counterpoint had an airing as well as some
A brief visit today as the weather forecast was not really very helpful. In the event a 15mph westerly breeze occasionally dropped off but there was a considerable wind chill, feeling as if it was only just above freezing point.
Occasional raindrops for most of the time until a settled band of rain arrived a bit before 1:00pm.
RSS kites again and it was noted how much ‘lighter’ these are compared to other high wind formats. The lack of gauze is a definite benefit especially in damp/
A light WSW breeze and mostly sunny session today.
Zens with green race and a couple of CR sails were eventually a bit overpowered but to start it must have been 4mph, if that, ending with 7 or 8mph, I guess!
Some excellent silent and close flying today along with relaxed called sequences and musical accompaniment.
It might have been good for the stacks but I was intent on checking out the 100m of 2.5mm diameter red sleeved spectra with the large JMH Rokakku and especially the li
Blustery, chilly NW breeze, probably 15 gusting 30mph. Mostly cloudy, just the occasional burst of sunshine.
RSS kites handled well, not too much of a struggle and of course dealt with the lulls. We noticed some pinching of the sails around the vertical spars which may have been due to the ‘springs’ being set on the inner of the spar rather than the outer side. Probably not of any importance but worth remembering if we decide not to use the springs…
Further work on the web site this
A hazy blue sky today, a light NNE breeze so dark glasses all round.
Zens with Green Race and a CR were not overpowered, 2-5mph probably!
I had wondered about putting up both JMH 8 stacks for a ‘photo-op’ but in the event we opted to spend time familiarising ourselves with the line settings for the 1.5 stack. Ideally I would want to have much finer steps than those on the provided leaders but today we started with the settings I had made in 9-10mph, put on much more brake and then ste
A bit of a contrast to last Sunday, the wind still from the west but 15+ gusting 30+mph.
Very bright, almost sunny with a mix of thin high and lower cloud.
Full vent 1.5s were clearly overpowered so it was the RSS kites again. Even they felt like a bit of a handful in the higher gusts.
Still suffering from a lingering ‘cold’ which has the rest of my household in their beds today!
Portsmouth and Scarborough events are going ahead in 2019 and we have fliers lined up but not fi
A bit of a struggle to get out today due to a lingering 'cold' that stopped me in my tracks on New Years Eve.
A light westerly breeze so Zens with green race, a great configuration. Landfall by Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet was a bit 'moody' but interesting to 'fly with'.
There was variable high cloud but that was doing nothing to stop the UV getting through. A very dark sunglass day.
We should be confirming Berck arrangements in the next day or so.
We will then be ma
The tops of the Canary Wharf towers were hidden in the curiously luminous, low anticyclonic cloud this morning.
On Blackheath it was very damp underfoot with worm casts in addition to the goose shit. Not exactly the stable surface I had hoped for! The breeze from the west was somewhat stronger than forecast, probably about 9mph, gusting higher.
So not the conditions for flying both stacks side by side today but I did try the full1.5 version. The slippery surface really was an issue
Early rain was forecast and as I had to collect from the local butcher this morning I had decided to miss the flying session today.
Ordered some SLK flying line in preparation for some further work with the JMH rokkakus.
Cervia flights are booked and a lineup for Berck is becoming clearer now.
We should be back on Blackheath on the 30th. A Boxing Day flight looks unlikely as I may be attending a ‘kite related’ lunch!
Clear blue sky over Hackney as we set out but we could soon see the approaching high grey cloud to the south west.
The light southerly breeze was just what we needed after a windy spell going back to early November. I set up full sail 1.5 with green race which worked ok. Ashley had a diamond LE with green race uprights. MW was working on her Rev 2 stack.
My intention was to do some more work on the 1.5 JMH stack today. I had done a bit of fettling of knots and link lengths on Satur
No rain to contend with today and while it didn’t feel it, the temperature was probably a bit over 10C. More silly coloured cloudscapes today, the sun was very bright when it did break through occasionally.
A mostly brisk westerly breeze so we were on the RSS kites again for further familiarisation. While nothing was called the sails do cope quite well with the lulls, they certainly do not drop out of the sky!
This was probably the last ‘not so many of us’ meeting before the New Year
There was drizzle in the air on the hill up to ‘Sun in the Sands’ roundabout but it had stopped by the time we got out onto the ‘heath’.
The wind was forecast at 13mph upwards so I had extracted the team RSS set so that we could get some ‘hands on’ time if conditions were appropriate. That was certainly the case today and I think that we all appreciated the ‘forgiving’ wind range of these kites.
Nothing called but there was a lot of close and slow interaction interspersed with faster
It was a token session today really. The damp easterly breeze was fairly consistent under low grey clouds with an occasional brighter moment.
Somehow the combination of a cold damp ‘strongish’ breeze was not conducive to contemplative ‘flying’. It was certainly not good for fettling the stacks. I might have to do some more measurement checking indoors rather than waiting for ideal outdoor condition.
I hope to do some more work on our Jørgen Møeller Hansen project soon. In the meant
Bright and sunny with a brisk easterly breeze today, probably 12mph gusting much more…
Full vented with green race mostly, I was on the RSS again which meant that I occasionally needed to move a bit faster. Some called moves today, nothing too challenging but it was the free flying interaction that impressed me most…
I have located this text and all that precede it in an orderly manner at www.felixmottram.com/kiteblog. I will eventually deal with the remaining ‘translation’ issues wh
I arrived on Blackheath today in bright sunshine with a mostly blue sky. While showers had been forecast I had for some reason assumed that they would be elsewhere but on the SW horizon there was a very dark area of cloud. After a few minutes it was apparent that it was approaching fast.
I set up an RSS ( it was a fairly brisk SW breeze) assuming that it was going to be a fairly sharp shower and that the rest of the kit should stay in the dry. It was only when the sun was obscured by the