No Arvo Flight Yesterday, Responsibilities are beginning to creep in on my flying time
Well I Joined up to KiteLife… Very Happy about that. I feel that the Contribution that KiteLife makes to the Community needs to be supported.
And all those Sweet Tutorials are Pretty good too
I have been Downloading them onto My Ipod Touch.
To Paraphrase SparkieRob, I have a John Barresi In my Pocket.
This morning was nice, Light to Moderate winds when I set up the STD with 3 Wrap and 80# lines
I got i
Soon, turns out to be the end of March, which is when, subject to continuing success in the reduction of pandemic numbers we will be able to meet in a small group and fly kites.
This news came almost at the same time as an announcement from Artevento that the dates for the next Cervia event would be 25th September - 3rd October 2021. This gave me hope that things would be returning to normal but of course there are many details to take into account before booking that flight.
There is a possibility that meeting a small group for outside sports activity will be allowed again soon. The announcement may occur on Monday evening; tomorrow!
The Peter Malinski Hexagonal Train replacement sail is almost complete. Just the centre fitting to cut and drill and the main flying line attachments sewn. I’ll then have to fit the split rings on this set of 24 sails. It will be a fiddly task but, I think, worth the effort long term for ease of attaching/detaching the tails on
An icy week was somewhat lifted by the invitation I received on the Monday morning to arrange an appointment for my first vaccine injection. Duly arranged for Friday morning a 10 minutes walk from home across London Fields and dispensed within a matter of minutes by one of about a dozen medics assisted by many others.
No cycling this week because of the ice…
The second set of the Peter Malinski Hexagonal Train are in better condition and only two pockets needed attention. There were,
I took deliver of a 1992 Rev 2 sail on Monday 1st February after a search for a Rev 1 sail that has been progressing slowly since last May. The project was to get a set of the Jørgen Møller Hansen 1992 design re-made in the Zen format. I had not remembered that there might be a problem in re-creating the graphic as it had been somewhat compromised in the manufacturing process. Jacob duly advised that this was the case.
So with reference to the Rev 2 sail, the images that we have of the R
Another lockdown week has passed quite quickly as I did succeed in re-arranging the kite room and work on the first set of the Peter Malinski Hexagonal Train proceeded smoothly. There are just two more spar pockets to fix and two flying line attachments on one sail. Then I can move on to the second set.
I have to take the bicycle in for annual service this week. I have already discussed the work needed and I will have a complete new drive train in place by Wednesday all being well. As I
Another lockdown Sunday and today the weather prevented a bicycle circuit. In younger days a sprinkling of snow would not be a deterrent but more recently slippery conditions are simply too difficult to handle.
I have sewn 50 ‘spar boot’ pockets for the Peter Malinski Hexagonal Train and hope to start fitting them in the coming week. This will require some re-arrangement of the kite room and setting up a work surface with additional support for the bulk of the sails.
I had hoped to p
Second Sunday in the lockdown and I did get out in the sunny conditions to do a near normal bicycle circuit. The parks were very busy so it was on the roads around Victoria Park. QE Park was busier than normal and the River Lea was fast moving although not as high as I have seen it.
The package of kite components arrived from Denmark during the week and the presence of two 1cm D-rings led to some speculation regarding the JMH 120 cell Expansible Box Kite from 1996. The D-rings in it are
Today was the first Sunday in the new lockdown and I did not get out on the cycle route as we had a broadband and landline outage. An engineer called first thing this morning to check that access to the termination point was available!
During the week I received images of the Peter Malinski Hexagonal Train and we can now date it as 1987 or earlier. The images were from Sylt, Germany in spring 1987. I had started to look at the restoration issues and have purchased 10mm split rings in sta
There was a bit of rain in the air on my way up to the Sun in the Sands junction but it had passed by the time I arrived on Blackheath.
The NNE breeze was light but steady 6 rather than 8mph but I didn’t measure it. Full sail 1.5s with race rods were just right and we flew for an hour or so before the cold crept in to Martin’s finger tips. He was more than ready to stop but was determined that it should not be his call.
I had taken the Hex Pilot kite that I made in 2019 and flew succ
Having expected the overnight storm to clear slowly I did not expect to fly today but as the indications were positive first thing this morning I decided to go and have a look.
I arrived on Blackheath at about 10:45am just as the sun cleared the trailing edges of the last heavy shower associated with the storm.
While it was not exactly warm I did fly for an hour or so before the low level cloud built up and breeze strengthened. I had been flying a full vented 1.5 with green race today
The weather was looking promising but sadly circumstances changed on Saturday so it was another ‘no fly’ day today.
First off, I had an unfortunate accident while fixing a bicycle puncture Saturday morning. Two finger tips quite deeply cut on a shard of glass that had penetrated the tyre. This was enough to count myself out for Sunday morning.
Then there was the revision of pandemic measures which set us back to the two person outdoor meeting limit.
I’ll just have to focus on ki
While it was not actually raining at 7:44am this morning I had elected for a lie-in and was not at all surprised at the steady rainfall an hour an a half later.
After a slow start during the past week the intermittent work on the JMH Della Porta: Four rhomboids 1993 had proceeded successfully. All the rusty steel elements have been replaced. I’ll just need to decide whether to replace some of the spars now or wait until the ‘split ends’ become too difficult to manage. Spare spars are ava
There was quite a bit of heavy rain about first thing and it looked as if it would be slow to clear but the sun broke through as I was leaving Hackney.
It did not last and Blackheath was under a curiously well articulated and varied cloudscape with brightness on east, south and west horizons. There was a steady NNE breeze which measured up to 6mph briefly but was mostly 4-5mph.
It was noticeably muddy underfoot but the Zens with green race did not really need much walking.
A damp and dark grey morning. The cloud was not thick enough to filter out all the UV light so it appeared to me even darker through the filtering lenses. There was a breeze though, 4-8.5 mph as measured but with a few lulls as well.
Zens with green race with Miles Davis In a Silent Way and Kind of Blue to keep the silent flying moving. It will probably be good to try these tunes with a larger group at some point.
I’m going to be doing a bit of metal work with the 3mm stainless stee
Very wet underfoot and covered in worm casts but the suggested 4mph westerly breeze was mostly steady and measured 4.8mph in a ‘gust’. There was even some sunshine through the varied high altitude clouds with some blue spaces in-between.
So Zens with green race rods as expected and for a while the right hand side of the window showed the sparkly characteristic of the white sails.
Less apparent back in the centre of the window but some Frisell/Morgan ‘Small Town’ kept us occupied along
Heavy rain did arrive before 8:00am today with a following band at about 10am. There were some very heavy short showers later.
Given that the forecast was for 15-30mph wind I did not plan to travel to Blackheath today.
If the lockdown does end on 2nd December we may only miss two more Sunday sessions. Last year all four November Sundays had light breezes.
I’ll hope to fly solo next Sunday and at the moment one of the forecasts is suggesting a sunny day with a moderate westerly b
The combination of the first weekend of lockdown and the prospect of very light wind and wet, muddy grass led me to suggest on Thursday evening that we should not attempt any flying today. The breeze on the day was even lighter than that forecast previously so it seems like it was a good call.
I did set out to do my usual cycle circuit instead but the pedestrians and others in Victoria Park were out in such numbers that I reverted to my alternative road route.
I will certainly hope to
Took a chance on the weather and while it was wet at about 10:30am the shower cleared and there was a good long break before the next one was closing in about 2 hours later.
The wind was measuring 17-20mph on the wind meter with stronger gusts and occasional lulls relatively speaking so the RSS Rev 1.5 sails were a handful but not overpowered most of the time.
We continued the no calls video recording but, somewhat as expected, the wind noise was too much for the camera to cope with so
It was raining quite heavily as I set off for Blackheath from Hackney this morning. There had been an indication that showers would clear by 10am. On Blackheath there was some sign of clearing from the west but the shower cloud was slow in moving.
We set up full sail 1.5 Revs while it was still raining and were eventually rewarded with blue sky and sunshine. The wind was SSW and steady but nowhere near the forecast 11-22mph.
No JMH kites today as it was just too wet underfoot and th
The synoptic chart was lacking in isobars so I was not expecting much flying today. Zens with green race were ok when the air was moving. The new meter did show 2.5 - 3mph maximum.
Having figured out some minimal editing with iPhone video I have been planning to try the GoPro5 on the field again, on a tripod mount. I will do some more work on this but suspect that the best viewpoint is going to be at head height which should be possible if the tripod is weighted. Did a small trial today but
There is still talk about changes in the Pandemic regime but we did get to fly today without issue. The breeze was quite variable when I arrived on Blackheath and it was really full sail 1.5 Revs that worked in the lighter moments.
With the Revs it is quite easy to take them all and choose the appropriate one on site. For the JMH kites a little more planning is required. The forecast was for 8-9mph gusting 16-20mph. On that basis I had hoped that we would be able to fly the 1990 and 199
During lockdown which ended in the middle of May there was one Sunday when the weather would not have been conducive for kite flying. Since then there was one day when there was no practical breeze so we were walking the Rev Zens. There have also been a couple of windy days!
Today was very wet, relatively cold and very windy so we simply did not make any attempt to fly. When the remaining projected festivals cancelled back in June a decision was made to concentrate on flying, photographi
Low flat grey clouds occasionally thinned to fleetingly show the disc of the sun. There was a Northerly breeze which measured about 11 - 15mph once I found the magic key press on the new wind meter! It was initially showing ‘hold’.
RSS Revs were fine until shortly after 1:00pm when there was a longer lull which provided a convenient hint that it was time for lunch off site. Terry Riley Assassin Reverie, Tread on the Trail played by Arte Quartett had just come to an end as well…