Back at the usual time and place today. NNW breeze was supposed to be 6mph but it was not consistent.
Full sails with Diamond LE and Race uprights seemed fine when there was some air movement.
Quite a bit of called flying today not least because we finally (after how many years?) acquired a viable rechargeable music playing ‘device’. Somehow, even for intermittent flying, having something to counter the A2 traffic noise was very welcome.
Having been dazzled in the sunny interval
A music event on Blackheath meant that we had to find an alternative venue today. There was a pop-up running event on the Olympic park so we flew in the east end of Victoria Park.
There was a running event in Victoria Park as well as a cricket match but there was still some space in the NE ‘corner’.
The westerly breeze was somewhat erratic and gradually strengthening. Mid vents with race rods were OK most of the time.
Nothing called but there was a sax, bass and drums combo that
SSE breeze today, probably 10mph and upwards, not that I measured it, so full vents with race rods of various flavours.
The approaching weather front which affected the rest of the country N,S and W looked threatening with slate grey clouds but the forecast held good and there was no rain on Blackheath while we were there!
No calls again today, end of season discussions about recent events and thoughts about priorities for next year took precedence.
We will not plan a formal tea
A very light 3mph northerly breeze was not entirely consistent so we did not get much flying today. Full sails with diamond LE and race or diamond uprights worked when the breeze was present. Rowan clocked some 360’s but I was certainly not going to make that effort!
In these circumstances the great thing about Blackheath is that there is plenty of space and we are not going to impinge on anyone else’s kite flying space.
Jade flew his Portsmouth auction purchase, one of Martin Lester
Westerly breeze today, often dropping away as thermals passed by in the sunny spells. Full sails with diamond LE and race uprights were just fine.
No calls today as after the last two weekends Ashley was taking a break. I was almost doing the same (break wise) as taking delivery of a not ‘new’ car has been slightly delayed.
We may venture further afield next weekend subject to transport arrangements and weather conditions.
In the meantime I will be looking out for reports from L
Everyone arrived in a timely manner for this event with some kites being delivered on site first thing on Saturday morning after transatlantic routing via Hackney and Bexleyheath!
It was a good breeze on Saturday from the west. Our dilemma was that we did not have the mid vented option which would have been ideal… The full sails with diamond leading edges and race uprights were OK for the regular fliers but others showed their inexperience.
In the lighter breezes on Sunday this theme
We did eventually arrive in Exmouth on Friday 4th August just before midnight after considerable assistance from the roadside rescue company and in the replacement vehicle that was eventually provided…
All the travel aggravation quickly faded as it was a bright and breezy day on Saturday with just an occasional light shower. The breeze was actually at the higher end of our comfort window with the JMH vented kites. We did not have to resort to four wrap spars though; green race were
The Cycle events of the weekend meant that our arrival at Blackheath was a bit delayed this morning. I must not complain as a spin round the City and Westminster yesterday was, as ever, a bit of a treat!
Slightly blustery SW breeze today so we were on full vents with race rods.
Some called moves today produced some very enthusiastic responses from passers by! Eventually it becomes a bit difficult to know exactly how to respond to “I’ve never seen anything like it before”.
Damon Meheux was already on site when we arrived today. The wind dropped as the sun broke through so it was a case of us switching from full vented as Damon had been flying to full sail with a short time with the mid vents in between.
Rowan decided to stick with the mid vent as a ‘training’ strategy ahead of Exmouth.
Some discussion today about stacking in the air and how there should not be any ‘pressure’ or need to resist unless a flier is really ‘not capable’ or not paying attentio
Another gentle day with thick low cloud and increasing humidity. The breeze was relatively steady so we were on mid vent/full vented 1.5 sails with race rods.
Nothing called but discussion was about the Canada events and ancillary plans for the 2017 Exmouth and Portsmouth events.
Some thoughts about 2018 plans as well…
Bright but with gradually increasing cloud today. The breeze was nominally from the SW but once again we had considerable variations in direction and wind speed, far from constant.
Mostly diamond LE and race/UL uprights.
Another quiet fly. We did decant the flight box, probably for the last time as we’ll need to replace it!
Hoping to finalise arrangements for the remaining UK events soon…
Clear blue skies today with only an occasional small cloud… Wind supposedly from the NW but we were seeing 90 degree plus shifts in a typical Blackheath summer breeze.
Full sails with ultra light, race and diamond spars. Nothing called, just winding down from the last two weekends!
The annual race/stroll event was taking place today so we did not bring the broken kite box to re-distribute team kites. That will have to happen another day. Plenty of opportunity ahead of Exmouth, the
We arrived back in the UK today after a fairly intense 10 days travelling and kiting in Canada.
The first weekend was at Saint-Honore in Quebec. The site for this event is a live airport. Flying kites on or close to the third runway was a novel experience. The other two runways were in use all the time, mostly light aircraft but also military and firefighting craft.
There was some rain on the first day. The second day was mostly sunny and ended with one of the best Rev Night Flie
A residual cold front passed over Blackheath around midday with some unusual cloud formations. There was some hope, once we realized what was happening, that the blustery SW air stream would calm down. It did not happen!
We were on full vented mostly with race rods which were definitely overstressed in the gusts. At lighter moments we were able to keep the kites in the air without trouble.
All set, such as one can be, for the visits to Saint Honore and Swift Current… Watching the we
Not so hot today but there was a mostly steady SW breeze so vented sails with race rods to cope with the lulls. Typical summer Blackheath wind shifts were in evidence and the swifts were occasionally out in force again.
Nothing called today but we were set to prepare the kites for the Canada trip. 30 kites were duly checked and boxed along with spare spars and the ‘tent’. Excess sand was discarded as well...
I am now 2 clear months in to my new regime. It seems that the world at la
The forecast was for 2mph switching from north to south or maybe the other way around at midday. Not a great prospect…
The net result was predictable, no wind!
The thick high cloud kept the temperature a reasonable c23c and the swifts were putting on a fine display with the very occasional (once today) head height pass.
The thundery depression moving up from the Bay of Biscay lost its bite soon after passing the Channel Islands and did not appear to be very intense when it reache
Another pre-11:00am start today. The wind was from the south but variable in the summer Blackheath way with thermal effect moving through, from very light to ‘quite strong’ and 90 degree direction shifts within a short, c2 minute, interval.
Mostly full sails with diamond LE and race uprights. One flier left diamond uprights in and lost one in a gust at the usual fail point…
Rowan opted for the mid vent and was able to use his rapidly expanding light wind skills and the extended handl
Arrived just after 10:30am today as we had arranged to receive the team kites back from Cervia, courtesy Tom.
Bright and breezy from the west, 12 – 20 mph at a guess so we were on full vented sails with mostly race rods. Six up for a while as Damon had joined us again.
A mostly called session once we got going and even when we were down to four Ashley kept up the pace. We actually ran through one of the old prepared routines as well which seemed very short and un-demanding compared t
We were late arriving today, c11:30am and found Maggie already flying with Damon and his brother Justin.
I had to switch back to a 120ft line-set so as the beach events for the year are done I rolled out a new set of lines.
We flew six for a while with Damon and Justin but as they had been on the Heath since 8:30am they did not stay for long!
Some lazy free flying followed but as the northerly breeze was on the cool side we wrapped at about 1:00pm.
And then it was all over. Monday started with a light onshore breeze. All very encouraging. We went to lunch hoping for a classic Cervia afternoon.
What we got was a quickly increasing breeze which was probably a consistent 30 mph which simply closed the event…
We managed to get the kites and kit safely stowed without loss or accident but it was a close call…
We will hope to be back next year!
The JMH Rokakku was OK on the light offshore breeze first thing today. We did not really attempt to fly the Revs in the stop/start conditions.
As with yesterday an early lunch coincided with the breeze switching to onshore! We did not get into the arena early enough after lunch but will try harder tomorrow!
The 2 meter JMH Roks had an airing during the afternoon but the yellow one was not settled. A bit more fine tuning is required.
The final arena performance saw Tom getting i
Another fine day in Cervia. The wind switched at about 12:15 at which point we had adjourned to 111 for an early lunch.
We were intent on taking the opportunity to get some time in the arena after the early lunch which we duly did. Team for Fun joined us soon after 2:00 pm so we were able to combine forces for a while before vacating the space for the formal events which start at 2:30pm.
I had the opportunity to see Trevor’s portrait kite during the afternoon. Along with the other s
The second day wind set in steadily from the SE again so there was a full Cervia sky
Not much room in the arena but we did get six kites up in the morning around the JMH rokakku.
Arena slots at 5:30pm and then the night fly where once again the JMH rokakku was the right kite for the conditions…
An excellent first day here in Cervia. Good onshore breeze form the start of play this morning…
Got to pitch the ‘tent’ in the usual place and get warmed up before lunch at 111.
The afternoon fly was a good rehearsal prior to an arena presentation called by Tom just before 5:00pm.