B-Series, B-Series Vented or Mid Vented?

dean750

Question

I am getting back into flying my Rev 1 (thanks to a new friend who let me try 90# 50' lines) and will buy a new Rev before I buy my next dual line kite.

So my question is, which one would be the best buy? Our winds here are typically 1 to maaaaybe 10mph with ocassional wind above that. The new friend, RescueRev let me fly his 1.5 SLE with the 2 wrap rods in it. Wind bouncing around between 3.5 and 8mph. 85' 90# line and man it was a dream to fly compared to my Rev 1. Granted I was on short lines, but it seemed like the 1.5 was a little easier to control. It definatly side slid better and faster than mine.

Just curious. The B-Series just seems a little more versitle than a standard 1.5

I was thinking the Mid Vented, but how would that do in light (2 to 5mph) wind? Or would it be wiser to start with the Std.?

Dean :matrix:

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Although I have limited time on one (mine come this week), I think you'd find a mid-vent underpowered in anything under 3mph... Anyone else attest to this?

For a common 1-10mph wind range, the B-Series STD will be your most versatile choice... It'll also go up to about 15mph or so, using both leading edges.

Clearly you are not a beginner, although having got back into revs recently maybe a little rusty. Given the wind you are describing I would say a standard or a mid-vent. My personal choice would be both (It would be wouldn't it) but if someone was holding a gun to my head and forcing me to choose one it would be the mid-vent. The venting smooths things out, covers up my fluffs. But as always there is a down side - it would be a little more difficult to fly in very light winds (sub-5mph). I would certainly go for a 2 Wrap as well as a 3W frame, or alternatively just a Race frame. If funds permitted a RR frame + a 3W for the rare occasions it does blow up a little.

My take is that the venting smooth's things out.. but adds weight and obviously reduces lift so its very wind dependant .... if you really get under 5 mph 80% of the time then Std would have my vote, if its a bit more varied then mid-vent would give you a nicer feel in the 5 + range.

Of course if it was me and the conditions were predominantly light I would be flying my 2~4 most of the time ;)

It definatly side slid better and faster than mine.

Just curious. The B-Series just seems a little more versitle than a standard 1.5

Hi,

It depends what you wanna do with the kite.

Does fast = better ?

I have only 'flown' a Rev 1 very briefly.

I have enjoyed watching other proficient fliers doing graceful stuff on their Rev 1's.

This is very different from a 1.5 SLE and the 1.5 B is different again (more precise).

Try and have a go on all the different sails etc if you can and decide what suits your style of flying best..

I had a go with Jonesey's Supersonic and that was all speed and fun and no precision :lol:

Personally I always prefer the 1.5 B vented as we have buffeting strong gusts here.

The Std. B-Series sounds about right as 80% or more of the time I'll be in lighter wind. If I'm really going to dive into Rev flying I better go head first. I don't know that I'll be trying tricks for a while. Just working on control.

My Rev 1 is way better than I remember it due to the lighter lines. What I meant by the 1.5 side sliding faster is that the 1.5 actually slides sideways. My 1 doesn't really seem to like to slide and so it really lolly gags.

Pull is kind of a thing with me too. I want to be able to fly and feel the kite. I don't want to have to fight it. My Rev1 is OLD. I think it has the 7 wrap rods in it. From what I experienced yesterday, and the advice here I should get the B-Series Std and rerod my 1 for the 0 to 5mph range so I can fly anytime. Then later I could get the Vented and I'd be completly covered. Sound like a plan?

The Std. B-Series sounds about right as 80% or more of the time I'll be in lighter wind. If I'm really going to dive into Rev flying I better go head first. I don't know that I'll be trying tricks for a while. Just working on control.

My Rev 1 is way better than I remember it due to the lighter lines. What I meant by the 1.5 side sliding faster is that the 1.5 actually slides sideways. My 1 doesn't really seem to like to slide and so it really lolly gags.

Pull is kind of a thing with me too. I want to be able to fly and feel the kite. I don't want to have to fight it. My Rev1 is OLD. I think it has the 7 wrap rods in it. From what I experienced yesterday, and the advice here I should get the B-Series Std and rerod my 1 for the 0 to 5mph range so I can fly anytime. Then later I could get the Vented and I'd be completly covered. Sound like a plan?

Its a start .. but remember we have to keep the average over 11 kites per flyer ;)

Standard then a Vented B and your good to go .. will cover all conditions.... just wish I could listen to my own advice!

B Series is the best value for Money kite if bought as a package[cost effective].Its a little bit gorgeous to fly to[sex appeal].Vented and none vented[variety].As your just getting back into it[L plates not required].Take care with the two wrap rods[parts slush fund sorted].MY Pal breaks them quite regular and hes just getting going[everyone does it not your fault].

Please do your best to keep up the average[pier pressure],11 is a minimum std here my freind[skys the limit now bud].

Now get the Mrs to read this.Your well sorted for at least a set streight away and if you play your cards proper.She will never let ya be a Mr average or God forbid,Below average.

ENJOY

BRIAN...making bs an art form

I have 3 versions of the B-Series and have found that the Mid-Vent gets flown the most.

It does give up something at each end of the wind scale compared to the Full Sail and Vented, but it has been pure enjoyment in the range in between.

I would recommend a set of Race Rods and 4 Wrap Equipped, along with 50# light wind lines and 90# lines for maximum wind range.

If the winds are smooth and steady, the Full Sail definitely has the low wind advantage, but I've found that the Mid-Vent handles light and turbulent winds with more control. The Full Sail can be sensitive to poor winds and can tend to luff, where the Mid-Vent filters out a lot of the swirls and gusts and flies smoother in the bumpy stuff.

There are no free lunches- if you gain something at one end, you lose something else at another. The Full Vent can be slightly 'mushy' at times, where the Full Sail can be a bit 'skittish'. The venting filters out a lot of minor over-corrections and bumps in the wind, giving it a smooth and forgiving flight style. You do lose some of the Full Sail's quick response and tighter feel though.

IMO, the Mid-Vent is the best of both worlds. It keeps most of the strongest points of both models while not giving up too much at ether end.

disclaimer: I'm just a guy who likes to fly kites. An Expert wouldn't have the same limitations as I do.

Actually I have a total of 13 kites now. But only one is a Rev. The others are all dual line. My wind range coverage is indoor 0 to 30 mph if I want to powerkite. Just not into fighting the kite anymore.

You mean there are kites other then Rev's ???? sorry youve lost me ;)

I have 3 versions of the B-Series and have found that the Mid-Vent gets flown the most.

It does give up something at each end of the wind scale compared to the Full Sail and Vented, but it has been pure enjoyment in the range in between.

I would recommend a set of Race Rods and 4 Wrap Equipped, along with 50# light wind lines and 90# lines for maximum wind range.

If the winds are smooth and steady, the Full Sail definitely has the low wind advantage, but I've found that the Mid-Vent handles light and turbulent winds with more control. The Full Sail can be sensitive to poor winds and can tend to luff, where the Mid-Vent filters out a lot of the swirls and gusts and flies smoother in the bumpy stuff.

There are no free lunches- if you gain something at one end, you lose something else at another. The Full Vent can be slightly 'mushy' at times, where the Full Sail can be a bit 'skittish'. The venting filters out a lot of minor over-corrections and bumps in the wind, giving it a smooth and forgiving flight style. You do lose some of the Full Sail's quick response and tighter feel though.

IMO, the Mid-Vent is the best of both worlds. It keeps most of the strongest points of both models while not giving up too much at ether end.

disclaimer: I'm just a guy who likes to fly kites. An Expert wouldn't have the same limitations as I do.

Cant wait to get my set.Everyone that has a Mid Vent loves um.Its a conspiracy just to tease me.Nice discription.

Must Pm Lolly. :blue-love: .

BRIAN..

order an SUL B-series, with a race frame,.... Then you will actually look forward to low wind flying. After a while you'll have ALL the REV 1.5 versions, but you might as well start with their lightest model. You aren't learning, just improving.

80 percent of the time this is the kite to pull out first and you'll learn faster if you do some of the work yourself instead of the wind!

It can take a 10 - 12 mph breeze and survive just fine. If your local conditions are turbulent then a mid-vent 1.5 is sure to smooth things out, but it's heavier in weight and the wind range is higher on the bottom end.

Now for the really big question.

What are the differences between the inner mid vent and the outter ?

Does anyone have or have flown both, I tend to think the inner midvent would be the more efficient of the 2 as far as smoothness without sacrafice.

I can fly my B-Vented with race rods comfortably in the 2-5mph range but a bit more sail would make it less physical.

i havent flown one with outside vents yet .. i have the b midvent with inside vents and i love it its a great kite i think for the gusty stuff .. i get the stop and go winds at my local ballfield and this has been the best kite for that type of wind so far.. plus its like a smoother version of a standerd.. i dont know why but i can fly this kite better then my other ones..

When I experimented with a Variable Vent, I made blockers for the inner panels.

I figured that a lot of the kite's flight performance is generated in the middle panel's 'bowl', and I didn't want to lose too much drive and precision.

I wanted to keep as much low wind performance as possible and I thought that inner vents would dump too much sail pressure.

I've been wrong before, though. :huh:

post-1987-1214532287_thumb.jpgpost-1987-1214532253_thumb.jpg

When I experimented with a Variable Vent, I made blockers for the inner panels.

I figured that a lot of the kite's flight performance is generated in the middle panel's 'bowl', and I didn't want to lose too much drive and precision.

I wanted to keep as much low wind performance as possible and I thought that inner vents would dump too much sail pressure.

I've been wrong before, though. :huh:

Can you block the outer panel on that to see the comparison at all ??

Dave Ashworth has triple removable vent panels on one of his kites (he's only a builder though, having NEVER purchased a kite in the 8 or 10 years I've known him!) We like affecting the center portion of the sail best w/the venting on his model.

Adding covers over the venting is more weight to carry around though, . . . it's okay with a smooth 5mph, but low wind and the swirls make this option too much work. It's nice at the beach though, 'cause you can keep opening more and more vents as the wind increases throughout the day.

Hey folks, finally got over an hour on each version of the mid-vent...

Inner and outer venting, on 120' of 90, tons of brake as usual (see photo below).

post-2-1214619653_thumb.jpg

Flew with a 3 wrap frame in both kites...

All in a variable 6-12 mph at Delta Park in Portland, OR.

==

I'm here to tell you, outer vents is where it's at, at least in my opinion, modest as it is. ;)

==

post-2-1214619679_thumb.jpg

The inner vent gave me a bit of a Rev I kind of flight, where the right and left wings were arguing for control, two independent wings, flying on either side of very little sail... Corners for example, were very "dual-liney", turning around the wings.

Axels and flic flacs weren't as sweet as a vented, due to the wind resistance provided by the additional sail in the wings.

==

post-2-1214619692_thumb.jpg

The outer vents gave me every bit of the performance I'm accustomed to, and look for from the B-Series... Great control on the axis, stabilized the gusts and turbulence, better reverse and hovers than a standard, absolutely killer all in all.

Axels and flic flacs were almost as sweet as a full vented.

==

Rev made the right call in going to full-term production with the outer vent model, absolutely a great kite for the middle wind range.

(all photos taken on my iPhone)

Rev made the right call in going to full-term production with the outer vent model, absolutely a great kite for the middle wind range.

You mean this will be part of the Revolution lineup :w00t: sweet deal.

Thanks for the description between the 2, much appreciated as I've been going out of my mind trying to decide between them.

But since you don't like the inner vented you can send it to me I'm sure I'll fine some use for it :kid_smartass:

Actually, I suppose it's premature to say "full production"...

I actually haven't confirmed that, but it seems a given at this point. ;)

As for the inner, well, it's got those neat little iQuad dudes all over it... Think I'll hold onto it. <grin>

Well I personally fly light. So even out doors I fly like I do indoors. So maybe the outter vented with the race rods might be what I want? Damn it, now I'm conflicted and it's all your all fault :w00t:

The Rev 1 seems like two sides fighting each other for control. The 1.5 I've flown with the 2 wrap rods and the std. both have been quicker to react to my input and easier to control. Hmmmmm, ask for help and make the decision harder. :w00t:

I know it's a B-Series, just which one? LOL. Guess I'll start with the Standard and work my way up? :huh: Someone make my mind up.

John? I've got the Rev 1, I could rerod it for light wind. But what do you think?

P.S. I appreciate IQuad and all, but I'd almost rather conform to the norm than have an off looking panel on a kite. ;)