Which Handles?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• 9 inch
    • 13 inch
    • other

Question

23 answers to this question

I prefer the 15"-17" custom extended handles, as i dont grip them like handlebars on a bicycle i pretty much hang them on my forfingers and tap with my pinky's to turn.

the slightly longer handles for me makes inverted flying easier and less movement to control therfore less oversteer and very quick clock turns.

now those Italians they fly with ski poles :kid_smartass:

I prefer my extended 15" handles. Most of the Italians also use 15" or 16", an idea adapted from me.

I have been using them since about 1995.

I find I can do much more with longer handles, in particular in the tricks area.

Once you are in depth used to 15" handles, using shorter handles can be a slight problem.

I'm a 13" handle kind of guy...

They're long enough to get strong movements out of the kite and provide the sensitivity I need, but they don't over control the kite like I find with longer "ski pole" handles.

I use the same handles for all my Revs... II, 1.5 and 1.

13" All the way. They are just the right length where I have penty of control, and it's easier to do axels and ground pancakes and such. Plus it doesn't overcontrol the kite as much as some longer handles would. And another bonus, it's easier to fly in lighter winds.

Depends on the kite and the type of flying. I've been using my custom 16" handles (stock handles extended with scrap Easton AC 330) since '94, mostly for bridleless RevII flying, though I also used them for my 1 back when I used to fly it regularly.

When I built my first 1.5 back in '95, I found I wasn't crazy about my custom handles with it, but my extended wooden handles built by Mike Van Meers were perfect -- they happen to be 13s. I still really like 13s with a 1.5, though I'm as likely to be using a set that came with a B-series as I am to use my wooden set.

13" All the way. They are just the right length where I have penty of control, and it's easier to do axels and ground pancakes and such. Plus it doesn't overcontrol the kite as much as some longer handles would. And another bonus, it's easier to fly in lighter winds.

Just curious, have you flown a lot with long handles or was it just a once try it and didn't like them?

I prefer my extended 15" handles. Most of the Italians also use 15" or 16", an idea adapted from me.

I have been using them since about 1995.

I find I can do much more with longer handles, in particular in the tricks area.

Once you are in depth used to 15" handles, using shorter handles can be a slight problem.

Another thing, for a REV II they are too long. I prefer a 13" or shorter for a REV II.

For my Indoor REV, I use the aluminum carbon wrapped handles that came with it.

For all of my REV Is and REV 1.5s I prefer the 15".

For trains I preferred the longer carbon wrapped handles I got from REV years ago. I really don't remember their length.

I picked up a set of 11" handles last week and really like them for the most part. With my vented in lighter wind they aren't as responsive as the 13" handles are though. After seeing the poll results I guess I should spend more time with my 13" handles.

Denny

:rev_clockwork:

Just curious, have you flown a lot with long handles or was it just a once try it and didn't like them?

What do you mean???

I've always flown on 13" Handles. I tried shorter once, but I didn't like them as much. I've also tried longer, and I didn't like them as much either.

What do you mean???

I've always flown on 13" Handles. I tried shorter once, but I didn't like them as much. I've also tried longer, and I didn't like them as much either.

Sorry, I was referring to 15" handles.

When you get time spend a few hours with longer 15" handles.

Try the tricks and light wind flying.

A favorite topic of mine!

I use long throw handles whenever possible, I like 'em best on the tricks end and low-wind flying efforts though. For team flying/120s I'll go to shorter, otherwise people get stabbed in the ribs if they stand too close to me<HA!> I have handles from 17 inches, measured across the gap between the two attachment points, down to 10 inch gaps in different materials aluminum tubes (and rods), steel tubes, wrapped graphite tubes and titanium tubes.

I probably reach for the titanium handles the most often, they are very long throws and so light in weight, it's almost as if the mass were missing entirely. A thumb flick down on the top of the handle moves the bottom leader backwards over a foot of distance, that's how you dump the air and flick the thing around!

I was instructed with long throw by Jeff Burka, blame him, I'm just following along with the crowd.

-plm

The common denominator in our bag seems to be the standard 13"s. Last summer I made some aluminum 15"s and find them quite enjoyable on a bridleless 1.5 SUL. Haven't quite wrapped my mind around using indoor handles on that kite instead of the indoor.

One time I got a hairbrained idea to use Blast handles on the shockwave... what that little bit of an angle can make a difference.

I was wondering which handles are your favorites and why.

I wanted to add something that my better 3/4 forgot to mention...

The only issue I have with the standard rev handles is the material that the grips are made of.

I don't know if this happens anywhere else, because I have only flown for 2 weeks outside of Alaska, but the moisture we have in the air here seems to cause the handle grips to get sticky and start shedding, so it feels like I have fine sand in my hands when I use them. I started taping them with masking tape, but that has it's own disadvantages, as they are then rather slippery to handle when flying.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to solve it?

--TaK

No, can't say I have but I'm wondering if it may be due to them being porous. If they absorb moisture that freezes and expands in the cold air damaging the structure of the foam which then crumbles when the moisture thaws, in the same way repeated freezing breaks up a poorly maintained road. I am thinking the only way to stop it in such extreme conditions (assuming my first assumption is correct is to stop the foam from absorbing any moisture, maybe those aerosols used to reproof outdoor clothing may help to stop the rot but I don't really know what is in them or how they will react with the grips. I'm guessing that the re proofing stuff is at least partly oil based which would not be good if the foam grips contain any rubber.

Perhaps others on the forum may be able to help further.

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob

You certainly have an unusual problem, but the weather has got to be the difference up there, I agree. Replacing the foam grips is possible, hack the old ones off, clean as well as you possibly can with solvent. Then affix new ones.

A guy that makes fishing grips is who you want to seek out. You want a set fishing grip foams made for your REV handles and there's got to be a guy making custom fish poles up in Alaska! The stuff comes in different densities, porous sounds like a bad choice. Try a thinner diameter of foam that is very firm.

Here's a picture of mine (glenn haynes foam) They're red, white & black diagonal foam strips, assembled it's much longer than a regular grip on a REV handle. Since the handles basically "drag on the ground" 'cause they are so long, 17 inches between the two attachment points, (19" grade 5, titanium tubes, 3/8 diameter) A long piece of foam doesn't look unusual. Eventually I'll have to get around to making 'em "no-snag" thru the nail technique.

You could also go the way of the TC Ultra Handles, they are plexi and the winder's built in!

You could wrap your handles with synthetic leather (or some funky hide available no where else?) instead of using foam.

The coolest set of handles I've ever seen are made by Mike Van Meers, Wood layers with a pistol grip that fits your finger outlines, . . .... you can rock 'em on different fingers, so comfortable. I'm still waiting for Burka to have sympathy on me and donate his extended length set to me in an effort to further my education in quad. Jeff has the only long set I'm aware of, I'm so envious of him!

post-92-128022712674_thumb.jpg