newbie question. Handle orientation

grd750

I think this is something most rev flyers do to some extent, I know I do. It's an unconsious move on my part, sort of like leaning into a curve on a bike, probably also tied in with hand and eye co ordination. What ever it is, it works. Is it required? Probably not. More the individuals own style and what works for them.

I generally have the bottom of the handles pointed left (horizontal) when hovering facing the right, vice versa for left, and they're vertical when I'm flying upright or inverted... When they're vertical, they are splayed out ever so slightly though... Probably so they don't whack each other when I'm making fast movements.

• 2 weeks later...
Why do people change the handle orientation from vertical to horizontial sometimes? Is it just to keep the line from having a twist or does it affect the flying.

Thanks

I also do this.... I think it is because I just feel like i need to have my hands in the same possition to the kite as usual while holing it side ways... If that makes any sense...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

For me I do it because when my kite is on its side it becomes similar to flying in the normal position. If you want a challenge turn your hands in the opposite direction your kite is pointing. It becomes a lot more difficult for me :huh: . It's also a style thing also.

From personal experience I can say that handles to the side provide a slightly different angle to the kite depending on what your doing, it could make it allot easier, one example is when the kite is upside down in a slide I actually face both bottoms directly horizontal this is even more effective with the speed series as well.

I also do this.... I think it is because I just feel like i need to have my hands in the same possition to the kite as usual while holing it side ways... If that makes any sense...

It's the same as leaning over when speeding round a bend on Playstation, or ducking when a baddie shoots you! LOL

I think I just noticed an other reason for doing this. I was thinking about this while I was flying my rev, and I realized that when ever I flip the kite upside down, my hands are sideways. I think this helps me remember wich way to turn the kite to get the lines untwisted. (I alwayse know witch handle is on top is the one I need to push my thumb forward with)

• 11 months later...
Guest QuadQrazy

I use the standard rev handles for 1.5 SLE, but I was wondering if I used the longer handles like the ones used for the Rev Blast, would I get more control out of the 1.5 ???

I use the standard rev handles for 1.5 SLE, but I was wondering if I used the longer handles like the ones used for the Rev Blast, would I get more control out of the 1.5 ???

Well the blast comes with 15" Extended and I have to say that for me I only fly now with extended. Better control and yes, I think you have better control.

It's possible depending on the age of the SLE, that you are using the even shorter handles.

Ian

• 9 months later...
Well the blast comes with 15" Extended and I have to say that for me I only fly now with extended. Better control and yes, I think you have better control.

It's possible depending on the age of the SLE, that you are using the even shorter handles.

Ian

First post for me. I've owned a SLE 1.5 for about 2yrs now, have flown it 3times(ya, I know. Long story). One of the reasons is that I used to fly with a girlfriend and now she is no longer around. I realized now I need a stake!!

My question to all this is....besides longer handles what about line extensions(I think is the term). WHere you add 4"-6" of line to the upper line for better control?

The extensions are long leaders attached your handles, replacing the leaders that are already there. It's even more important than upgrading your handles.

Search the forum, or someone will post a link, for adding additional brake with leaders attached to your handles.

Just read the opening question.

Concentrated on what I was doing the other Day, I found I also tend to roll the handles in my hand at times. Strange!!

I feel the answer to the question is almost another question, a bit like "Why do I stick my tounge out when I am concentrating?"

I think the handle orientation theng helps you concentrate.

One of the reasons is that I used to fly with a girlfriend and now she is no longer around. I realized now I need a stake!!

Well you have clearly learnt the most important lesson. If you use your girlfriend as a kite stake more than once then she will go and find another boyfriend. Women, they're fussy like that ;)

What mike said on the leaders. Look for Kitelife's recent post on brakes and all sorts of other stuff here:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?sh...ic=1870&hl=

Well you have clearly learnt the most important lesson. If you use your girlfriend as a kite stake more than once then she will go and find another boyfriend. Women, they're fussy like that ;)

What mike said on the leaders. Look for Kitelife's recent post on brakes and all sorts of other stuff here:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?sh...ic=1870&hl=

Buhahahahaaaa.....actually I left her but VERY funny none the less :P .

After searching for a while last night I managed to find a pretty good explanation on the "lead lines". I kept searching for "lead" rather than "brake" and voila!!

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2013

Found some great pointers!! Now all I need to do is head down to Kitehenge meet up with good 'ole Walt and buy one of his fancy looking stakes with my NEW gal friend :):P .

As they say..."cheers mate" ;)

Bernie