Revolution Event 2008

Felix

What is the protocal/etiquette on these kind of evening events ?

Is it like a members only 'club' ?

Can anyone just turn up, or do you require a pass/ticket ?

At Bristol, the Saturday night party is open to all Festival guests and flyers - the on-site bar is open and we have the general auction (raises money for the Festival), followed by night flying and fireworks. The on-site meal is by ticket (usually £10), which can be purchased on the day or reserved in advance. We are hoping to provide a meal ticket to all registered Rev flyers, but that depends on funding/sponsorship (as do most things in Festival-land)! We are also planning to have a Friday night 'Rev only' auction that will be open to all - we're just waiting for the hotel to confirm the details.

Hope that helps! We'll be updating the Rev pages of the Festival website (www.kite-festival.org.uk) with info, and will add anything relevant to the forum as well. But if you have any questions/concerns, feel free to drop us an email on [email protected].

Cheers,

Lynn

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Felix I will definatly be at Blackheath whenever you want, will be going to Bristol one way or other, don't know if I'm up to the standard required for team flying though, maybe we could meet up the heath one sunday if your not too busy and judge for yourself, any tips would of course be greatly recieved.

Jade

Hi Jade,

We have recently been getting to Blackheath at about 11:00am on Sunday and are there for a couple of hours. Please feel free to introduce yourself.

Best wishes

Felix

Thanks for invite Felix will be up Sunday week, got a fishing competition this coming sunday.

What part of the heath you normally fly on?

Baloo that hotel on the heath called the Clarendon www.clarendonhotel.com make sure your sitting when you look at their prices tho. I know it's London (Just) but they crazy!!!

Hi from across the pond,

I tried to email via address in Lynn's post, It kicked back as an error?

I would like to contact Bristol orgnizers? Help!!

Scott Weider

Hi Scott,

Sorry about that - try [email protected] or [email protected], they both go to the same inbox (think I didn't do the link properly... :blushing: ). I'm in the Kite Office on Thursday so will be able to get back to you then.

Cheers,

Lynn

I'm with Sailor on this, we need to keep it simple but we will need a briefing and some clearly defined rules of engagement.

As for language barriers, I don't se that being a major problem with ground crew, are there any language barriers in sign?

I've got some signs.... think people'll understand 'em OK though..... :kid_devlish:

Hi Felix,

We are finally planning to participate in Bristol Festival, due mainly to logistics reasons.

Here you have our complete names (and our 2nd languages, just in case):

Fernan (Fernando Villaverde) (Basque)

Tonet (Toño Alonso) (Basque)

Jose (Jose Fernandez) (Basque)

Giuseppe (Jose Luis Rodriguez) (English)

Nati (Nati Crespo) (English)

See you soon...

JL

www.bolau.org

Hi Felix,

We are finally planning to participate in Bristol Festival, due mainly to logistics reasons.

See you soon...

JL

www.bolau.org

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for the news and the details!

I have updated the list and will upload it later in the week.

Best wishes

Felix

JL

www.bolau.org

I think the second language point may be something to consider. Communication is going to be one of the biggest challenges and so it is important that know in advance what the calls will be. It seems that English is the most common spoken language and for that reason alone it seems sensible to use that as our default.

I have learned how to call in French and a (Very) little in Spanish. It takes a little concentration but because we fly the same figures over and over, it is not impossible to learn the key points. When the routine is created I will try an include what the calls will be in the diagrams. That way we have time to translate the words in advance. Can I ask all the teams that don't already call in English to try a little bit.

My experience in the past suggests that English is a good language for calling as you can use very short words that are clear to hear. The team manual elsewhere on this forum would be a good place to look for details of the names of moves etc.

What do people who do not have English as a first language feel? Should we use calling from all languages?

I agree with you Stephen, my personal feeling is that english calls are the best way to communicate among different nationalities teams. In ours, Fernan is doing his best to use the english calls, (even though it sounds really strange in our spanish environment :blink: ), but we think we need to get used to them to be ready for these international meetings.

Well, we are now becoming bi-lingual in respect to team flying ! :matrix:

Regards

JL

Hi all,

although we are a German/Dutch team we make the calls in english. We changed to english about 2 years ago and

it makes it much easier for us while flying in international megateams.

@Felix: you can add the languages in your list for Team4Fun:

Hans: German/English/Dutch

Stefan: German/English

Annette: German/English

Heiner: German/English

Manuel: German/English

Markus: German/English

Good winds,

Hans

www.team-4-fun.de

Hi all,

Here's a bit of accommodation info that may be helpful for those of you planning to join us at Bristol…

We have arranged a discounted booking at the Washington Hotel and Clifton Hotel (basically next to each other) www.cliftonhotels.com. Single, twin, double and family rooms are available on a 'first come' basis, starting at £34/night for single and £44/night for double/twin, bed and breakfast. Phone +44 (0)117 946 7469 to book and quote 'Kite Festival Group' to get the discount rate.

The hotels are near lots amenities (shops, pubs and restaurants), the city centre, waterfront and Clifton Village. But they're not really within walking distance of the site, so we'll arrange transportation to and from the site, either with local flyers or on a minibus. More information on this will be available over the summer.

Another option: Bristol Ibis Harbourside is a budget hotel in the city centre. They do not do group bookings, but the standard room rate starts at about £50/night. As above, we will try to arrange transport to and from the site. Click here http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/g...che_hotel.shtml for their website or phone +44 (0)117 989 7200

If you would like to investigate other options in Bristol, please check out the Visit Bristol website www.visitbristol.co.uk

Camping: We have a small on-site crew area with limited facilities (portaloo only), but are trying to arrange a site adjacent to the flying site that will have showers etc. More information to follow soon!

Cheers,

Lynn

Hi all,

Here's a bit of accommodation info that may be helpful for those of you planning to join us at Bristol…

<snip>

Cheers,

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for posting the information about the other Hotels. I have been holding off booking at Redwood Lodge for my family.

Do you have any further information from them at this stage?

Best wishes

Felix

PS Revised list uploaded. The usual disclaimers apply <grins> FJM

A little concentration OH yeah that fine for him to say, but what he doesnt mention is that he uses BOTH during a routine !!! Gauche sur le terrain !!! an all that!!

As sailor boy said KISS, lets not forget that during the practice we can STOP - You gotta love the Rev !!!

I'm so excited about this !!! Cant wait to be a part of it !!

BTW, can someone tell me any good software to convert VOB to WMV, I have some Dec's flying from Summer 91 and I want to post on You tube for the world to see. (just learned how to convert VHS, to DVD on my TV - I can the copy to PC.

I have learned how to call in French and a (Very) little in Spanish. It takes a little concentration but because we fly the same figures over and over, it is not impossible to learn the key points.

A little concentration OH yeah that fine for him to say, but what he doesnt mention is that he uses BOTH during a routine !!! Gauche sur le terrain !!! an all that!!

As sailor boy said KISS, lets not forget that during the practice we can STOP - You gotta love the Rev !!!

I'm so excited about this !!! Cant wait to be a part of it !!

BTW, can someone tell me any good software to convert VOB to WMV, I have some Dec's flying from Summer 91 and I want to post on You tube for the world to see. (just learned how to convert VHS, to DVD on my TV - I can the copy to PC.

Hi Simon,

I tend to have moments of lapsed concentration. It is probably an age thing now... forgetting to focus on the kite I am flying in the team 'an all that'.

We do not admit to 'practice' and to quote someone quite famous in another disclipline (this may be slightly contentious but please forgive me) 'we are not civilians here'.

It is extremely exciting.....

What were we flying in 1991?

Best wishes

Felix

Looks good, thanks Felix!

I notice that the 4 person diamond and spokes might lend themselves to 'rolling' to the left or right while maintaining the figure!

That's the trouble with being out with the team for a couple of hours on Sunday....

Felix

PS In your sig re. Washington. FJM