EXP for noob

kimbo

Question

Well let the training begin. After lots of reading both here and all over the web, I talked with Kent at winds of change and placed an order.

It's obvious that one won't be enough, I went for the least outlay of cash for starters.

I'll be sure to ask the gurus on this forum to help me through the learning process.

Forecast is for almost no wind.(4mph) for the next week here in North Dallas. Should give me time to watch the DVD and read lots of info about getting started.

I think I'm gonna get my "fix" from the Rev.

Thanks to all for being so generous with your expierience for the noobs.

19 answers to this question

Thanks to all for being so generous with your expierience for the noobs.

Kimbo,

Welcome to the forum.

Now it's your turn to help out. Tell us about your first experiences flying the EXP. When you do that, it helps those of us who are a month,,or a year or two, ahead of you realize that we are making progress. Plus, it's a little like pulling out the old photo album ... yep, did that ... and that.

Cheers,

Tom

Kimbo,

Welcome to the forum.

Now it's your turn to help out. Tell us about your first experiences flying the EXP. When you do that, it helps those of us who are a month,,or a year or two, ahead of you realize that we are making progress. Plus, it's a little like pulling out the old photo album ... yep, did that ... and that.

Cheers,

Tom

Will do. Kite should be here Fri. Weather here is unpredictable at times, but it is should be just right for flying the Rev.

I'll be back for some advice on "adjusting knots" from the bridles I've read about.

Stoked

:lol: You crack me up Paul! :lol:

Second thoughts on the EXP. Stoped the shipment and upgraded to the B series night vision series with a line upgrade. Almost 3 X's the money, but you all know how addicts are when it comes to this obsession. Flying at night just seemed like such a logical choice living here in Texas.

More to come.

Stay tuned

Second thoughts on the EXP. Stoped the shipment and upgraded to the B series night vision series with a line upgrade. Almost 3 X's the money, but you all know how addicts are when it comes to this obsession. Flying at night just seemed like such a logical choice living here in Texas.

More to come.

Stay tuned

Woohooo!!! Welcome to the dark side!!!!

It all starts innocently enough....

Woohooo!!! Welcome to the dark side!!!!

It all starts innocently enough....

Revflyer I just figured there was a knotted section coming off the brakes leads like on my foil. Makes more sense to have the adjustments at the handles. Quicker to adjust, less walking too.

Real nice folks at awindofchange just like you said.

Agreed,

the B-Series is an excellent choice,

the 1st of many upgrades to your REV collection Kimbo,

enjoy!

-paul

PS: 3 times the price?, . . . ... LOL!

How many times have we each considered that option?

Here's my home-built titanium handles as but one example!

They're great for no-wind but alas, an outrageous expenditure nobody else would even consider.

post-92-1242815802_thumb.jpg

post-92-1242815819_thumb.jpg

The "B" series is a good choice.

A friend in San Diego decided to learn to fly a Rev. I loaned him an EXP, line set and handles. After he learned the basics, he bought a "B" standard and a "B" vented. He later added an SUL to the mix. That gives him three sails, and a load of spars for flying in just about any conditions.

hey! I'm an old guy,...

I can't run like I used to, knee surgery, bum-back & pinched nerves, 'roids, you name it!

(I need to be close to the kite, so I look like I know what I'm doing!)

PLUS, I fly in no-wind more often than not, so I need a cheater light weight wing also.

Hey Kimbo, the Night! is on its way, you should have it on Friday, just in time for the weekend. Hopefully the wind I packed inside the box will also get there with the kite.

Let me know how the kite goes for ya. It looks even better in person, the pictures just don't do it justice! :)

Kent -

You did explain that the mandatory "wind for the kite you didn't buy" will be around for about 2 weeks. If it is your first kite then you won't have the right winds for 3 weeks. Just don't want Kimbo getting discouraged.

Hey Kimbo, the Night! is on its way, you should have it on Friday, just in time for the weekend. Hopefully the wind I packed inside the box will also get there with the kite.

Let me know how the kite goes for ya. It looks even better in person, the pictures just don't do it justice! :)

Wind change is crazy here in North TX from day to day and spot to spot. I'm still trying to find my way through reading trees, flags, windmills etc. to find the ideal spot to fly.

Wish I was back in my home town of San Diego. Lots more predictable weather and tons more kiters.

Not sure if this should be a new thread or not but what is the most popular line length for different wind speeds?? The ballet flyers all seem to fly real short, then the team formation flyers are way long. Any formula or rule of thumb???

Thanks for the welcome and co-signing my obsessive behavior.

Fly away

Kimbo

There are quite a few topics on line length already - a search should give you more than plenty to read through while your waiting for the right wind to come along so you can fly your new kite. lol :)

As for line length, it really comes down to personal preference, whatever you enjoy flying on is what you should use. The only exception is if you want to fly with others in team (not team as professionally competing, just team as in two or more flying together at the same time). Flying with others on different line lengths is just tough to do, one kite will always be out of sync of the other and you can't really stack or kiss them together as easy. Also, team flying usually "prefers" longer lines because it does give you a much larger sky (area) to fly all of the kites in without smacking into each other as much.

Generally, any length between 75' and 100' is usable and preferred. Team flying usually wants 120' lines but could just be whatever your buddy happens to be flying with at the time you get together.

Shorter lines are usually preferred for lighter winds, less line drag and the kite is closer to you, giving you a more "connected" feel when you fly....but....as said, any line length that you happen to like is perfect.

Hope this helps.