Wildwood Int'l Kite Festival '09

And Now... for one of the odder Wildwood Kite Festival videos...

I am working* on the '100' which would probably need to involve European and Japanese teams.

Any indicative support would be very much appreciated.

I would LOVE to see this happen in Wildwood, Felix!

Edited by Aerochic

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually astonished at the ability of fliers to recover and get back into place having watched a variety of videos since this whole process got going.

As long as there is a viable breeze the fliers seem to have a real focus on 'getting back into place' and carrying on. The Grid helps as far as I can tell whereas the 'left to right following line' is more risky.

Felix

I tend to agree Felix. In smaller team tangles, the ability to untangle is astonishing, so long as flyers can keep track of how they got into the mess. So, when a line snakes around, and I tangle with the kite next to me (or the next two), it isn't bad since my focus can accommodate for those kites and we detangle (given enough air and space to perform the maneuvers that is). But when the line snakes, the air softens, and a tangle happens between me and someone who's quite far ahead of me, and all perspective of which lines, kites etc goes out the window.

I tend to agree Felix. In smaller team tangles, the ability to untangle is astonishing, so long as flyers can keep track of how they got into the mess. So, when a line snakes around, and I tangle with the kite next to me (or the next two), it isn't bad since my focus can accommodate for those kites and we detangle (given enough air and space to perform the maneuvers that is). But when the line snakes, the air softens, and a tangle happens between me and someone who's quite far ahead of me, and all perspective of which lines, kites etc goes out the window.

The whole point of the "RUN AWAY" move :devil:

Wayne and Barb... Great Vids!!! WOW do i appreciate the Time you'ze guys Spent making those for all of us.. :kid_content:

As For the Mega fly and Grid Action....

Scotts Idea's for the Grid went very well.

We had a Large learning curve that day kinda figuring out what worked and what didn’t...

I am looking forward to Felix being there next year to Lead the way for us all.. wink wink :kid_smartass:

In the 24 man Mega We put the Experienced flyers next to a less experienced flyer for support and Guidance...

Basically.. Someone to Follow out of the Tangles and to build confidence in the Line..

Personally I think that went very well as a Whole and I recommend that for other events..

Keeping the simple Radio Waves, thread thorough and the Big Ball.. Pretty Much kept the Kite in Front of the Individual.

I had no intention of trying that Snake.. LOL Love the Flyers who were yelling "Snake" "GO for IT!! " :kid_devlish:

And what the hell We went for it and Had it really going for a while...

And The "Mega Tangle" is an Event I look forward to next year..

It was really fun to hear everyone Laughing as we were crashing to the Ground.. B) .

Edited by Jay Nunes

In the 24 man Mega We put the Experienced flyers next to a less experienced flyer for support and Guidance...

Basically.. Someone to Follow out of the Tangles and to build confidence in the Line..

Personally I think that went very well as a Whole and I recommend that for other events..

I too would encourage this sort of staggered tallent/experience layout. Not only does it decrease the likelyhood of one surprised flyer taking out the whole group, it also helps people learn. The sooner all of us less experienced flyers get up to speed, the sooner there will be a 100 kite FLY. (as apposed to a 100 kite KNOT)

Plus, if people are watching [which is often the case when several flyers are together] a large formation that's pretty good looks a whole lot more impressive than half the kites on the ground being untangled while the other half flys small formations.

Scotts Idea's for the Grid went very well.

We had a Large learning curve that day kinda figuring out what worked and what didn't...

I am looking forward to Felix being there next year to Lead the way for us all.. wink wink :kid_smartass:

Keeping the simple Radio Waves, thread thorough and the Big Ball.. Pretty Much kept the Kite in Front of the Individual.

I had no intention of trying that Snake.. LOL Love the Flyers who were yelling "Snake" "GO for IT!! " :kid_devlish:

And what the hell We went for it and Had it really going for a while...

And The "Mega Tangle" is an Event I look forward to next year..

It was really fun to hear everyone Laughing as we were crashing to the Ground.. B) .

I agree with Jay; having experienced flyers next to me was helpful. I think the 24 kite snake was pushing it, although it survived fairly long on the second try (the one in our video). I cut out the first from the video as it failed very quickly. Also Barb followed with the camera my kite escaping up and out of the snake shortly before chaos overtook it, not showing much of the aftermath. Luckily, the first snake pit seemed to get untangled fairly quickly, while the second was more challenging to those involved.

All other maneuvers tried in the 24 kite line worked well, if not IQuad precise. In hindsight, I wish we could have tried some more moves before the snake bit. I was really enjoying it but quickly realized I was in over my head in the snake with the wind level I encountered at the moment. I was proud that I was able to make a clean exit before causing trouble.

I have a great deal of respect for the patience required by Scott and Jay herding cats into those meg-flies. They certainly added to the fun of the event for me and surely entertained the large audience.

WELL,

If I may comment, I wanted to just dive in and then check the depth of the water later, lol I think that a ground meeting/practice, is imperative, building up the size and quantity of moves in the grid would lead to a successful display. From what I hear, anyone that did not practice in Portsmouth did not enter the arena, they also had more than a few experienced team pilots. 24 people to start who are very used to flying in a group. I would guess? Is that true Felix? ( 4 teams of 6 )

Contrary, I had NO experience in a grid, never mind leading one. Some of the most experienced INDIVIDUALS did not even stick around in Wildwood, and just watched from the sidelines, or flew on their own. Some of the most experienced flyers watched as the less experienced flew, YEAH THAT IS what went down. no pun intended. We had NO full teams..... Period, All skill levels and no pre qualifications, WITH ALL DUE RESPECT ( Self Respect first) Bob is discussing grid flying with Felix, after some REAL experience. Hello?

My thoughts in hindsight, EVERYONE who wanted, got a chance to fly a snake with 24 pilots, CRAZY, a free for all if I ever did see one.

We can not possibly think that the Wildwood megas even come close to what they did in the UK, Bristol and Portsmouth. I had no grandiose plan except to create a monster, and light a fire for all. I think it worked Great, and is cause for a lot of speculative conversation.

Take Wayne for example, Last year 2008, he happened upon a kite fest with Iquad in the background, this year 2009 he was flying in a 24 person line. doing double balls talking about his experience flying with a bunch of other Rev flyers. imagine that. How many of the 48 in the UK, fit that mold, and can say they did what Wayne did.

That says it all to me, and let the fires begin.

imagine the people on the sidelines this year who will want to get in on next years fly.

What has happened in Europe, for MANY years, with REV teams has set a tone I would love to see it here in the USA. This forum is great tool for just that.

FELIX, 100 will happen as I see it, it's just a matter of time, I hope I'm there. where ever it takes place.

<snip>

FELIX, 100 will happen as I see it, it's just a matter of time, I hope I'm there. where ever it takes place.

Scott,

The 100 will occur eventually. The time scale is completely open at the moment. (Well it does not really exist!) In the run up to Portsmouth and Bristol there was discussion about the capability of fliers and the objectives. I do not want to open that discussion again but the practicalities mean that we will need experienced 'team' fliers. 'Owning the hover' is essential and all the other practical issues of set-up as well.

I have no intention of leading/calling as that is not my vocation. <grins>

I think that 'team' fliers can be 'up and running' with about 100 hours flying time (well those in their early 20's anyway) so there should be plenty of opportunity for everyone who is interested now to get their pilot time logged and having done that I am sure that they will accept the need for careful scrutiny and the final decision of the leader/caller on the field.

(and I have to work this coming weekend and so will miss the Blackheath event...)

Felix

Hello FRP's-

I agree with Felix and Scott's sentiments. Getting the hours in is truly the only way to "own your hover" and your kite proficiently. With that being said, all skill levels got to experience the Mega Fly and most certainly learned from it. Hopefully, that gave everyone specific areas to practice.

One thought on the line flying. Obviously, more than 15 flyers and the edges of the window become an issue. Couldn't we break off into teams of six, ten, (or whatever) all mirroring each team, then we would all have a good window to fly in. It would then be easy to transition to ball.

It's just something to add to the wave and vertical threads that should work well. If the skill level is there, we could do more team moves, each group/team doing whatever, but ALL of the groups/teams doing it together; then the entire line can flank up back to one big line.

Just a thought...What do you all think?

I can picture the Friday night SOUTH JERSEY B Bque, Mike Carroll running a judging seminar, Dave Brittan flying his REVII in and out of the water at poolside. FOR me things that make you go UMMMM

THANKS, for the memories, AREOCHIC

Edited by Scott A.

I can picture the Friday night SOUTH JERSEY B Bque, Mike Carroll running a judging seminar, Dave Brittan flying his REVII in and out of the water at poolside. FOR me things that make you go UMMMM

THANKS, for the memories, AREOCHIC

I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to stay there, it looked like a neat place. :( The hotel where my family vacationed at in WW when I was a kid was one of the first to get razed in the Condo Boom that happened there. I still miss it like people miss the Rio.

Well,

I finally finished going through the videos that Barb & I shot at Wildwood and put up the last 2 parts on Youtube. They show excerpts of the indoor kite ballet competition (we missed the earliest entries), and the indoor exhibitions all shot on May 25.

All 4 parts are linked here:

Misc Kiting

Mega flys

Indoor Comps

Indoor Demos

This completes our photographic record of a great event.

• 4 months later...