Felix

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
At this rate, I'm hoping to NOT be doing final edits on the flight over ;-)

Have a great time this weekend!

How is the 'tune' developing?

I just picked up on the idea of 'figure forming' and transitions. Let's take the outline of the Revolution Kite and 'move it' in concert. It's that synchronised swimming thing again. It is initially all down to the number of fliers, as with the grid.

My previous challenge was to set up a 4 flier 'ball' and to 'roll it' across the field. The same would apply to spokes.

Who is up for the challenge?

Felix

How is the 'tune' developing?

I just picked up on the idea of 'figure forming' and transitions. Let's take the outline of the Revolution Kite and 'move it' in concert. It's that synchronised swimming thing again. It is initially all down to the number of fliers, as with the grid.

My previous challenge was to set up a 4 flier 'ball' and to 'roll it' across the field. The same would apply to spokes.

Who is up for the challenge?

Felix

Hmm All quiet at the moment...

However I do need a heads-up regarding Friday night at Bristol.

Please could everyone re-confirm their availability so that plans can be finalised.

Thanks

Felix

Felix, I hope to be available to help out at Bristol. I am still waiting for confirmation that I am OK to bring my Caravan to the Rugby club site on Thursday or Friday.

Have been in touch with Anne (I think it is) a couple of times but need a confirmation B4 I can commit to you.

Sorry what has been suggested for the Friday Night??

Felix, I hope to be available to help out at Bristol. I am still waiting for confirmation that I am OK to bring my Caravan to the Rugby club site on Thursday or Friday.

Have been in touch with Anne (I think it is) a couple of times but need a confirmation B4 I can commit to you.

Sorry what has been suggested for the Friday Night??

The Party!

Felix

What's happening on the saturday evening ?

when's the 20th anniversary cake being shared out ?

The Saturday evening will be as usual.

At this stage I understand that the Friday event would be the Revolution/Decorators event and so that would include the 20th anniversary cake!

The plans are not finalised and funds have to be 'raised'.

Felix

What is the usual?

Never stayed on the Saturday night before,

humble apologies for my simple question.

I need to make plans if we are to stay.

On site Bar, Food, Auction, Night fly? Fireworks?

Subject, I am sure, to funds being raised as usual!

Felix

On site Bar, Food, Auction, Night fly? Fireworks?

Subject, I am sure, to funds being raised as usual!

Felix

All sounds a cryptic to me??? who's organising what and where do we find information?? are you talking about things open to us mortals or is this a by invite only event??

You have to remember some of us have never been to these events before so would appreciate a little 'heads up' as to whats what..what :confused!:

All sounds a cryptic to me??? who's organising what and where do we find information?? are you talking about things open to us mortals or is this a by invite only event??

You have to remember some of us have never been to these events before so would appreciate a little 'heads up' as to whats what..what :confused!:

I am sorry to sound cryptic. As I recall tickets for the Saturday evening can be bought by anyone. I do not know the cost etc.

The festival organisers hope to look after the invited fliers and on this occasion the Revolution Teams as well. I hope that this will extend to the Mega Team Participants and the Field Crew.

As with the Friday Night Party, details are still being worked out!

Felix

I am sorry to sound cryptic. As I recall tickets for the Saturday evening can be bought by anyone. I do not know the cost etc.

The festival organisers hope to look after the invited fliers and on this occasion the Revolution Teams as well. I hope that this will extend to the Mega Team Participants and the Field Crew.

As with the Friday Night Party, details are still being worked out!

Felix

It would be good to hear from the following teams regarding the Bristol event. Please PM or e-mail me just so that we can be sure that the circle is squared!

(I am sure that TFS and iQuad are set to go but if there are any questions let's get them sorted.)

Crazy Drivers

Too Much Fun

Team4Fun

Team Bolau

Time Out

Thanks

Felix

It would be good to hear from the following teams regarding the Bristol event. Please PM or e-mail me just so that we can be sure that the circle is squared!

(I am sure that TFS and iQuad are set to go but if there are any questions let's get them sorted.)

Crazy Drivers

Too Much Fun

Team4Fun

Team Bolau

Time Out

Thanks

Felix

I would have thought the organizers of this event and Revolution organizer people would be wanting to invite ALL Rev fliers to these evening events, as a matter of course. I mean, there are not that many of us in the UK ! that could attend or want to attend. And, I wonder why Rev flyers should even be asking for details. Information and experiences from past events ought to be made available. Perhaps I have missed some info?

Seems to be a bit of Us and Them! Oh yes, crew might be invited. How nice.

Flame suit is on.

Ian

I would have thought the organizers of this event and Revolution organizer people would be wanting to invite ALL Rev fliers to these evening events, as a matter of course. I mean, there are not that many of us in the UK ! that could attend or want to attend. And, I wonder why Rev flyers should even be asking for details. Information and experiences from past events ought to be made available. Perhaps I have missed some info?

Flame suit is on.

Ian

Well said Ian - no flame from me.

I don't think it is deliberate though, it's just a few of the 'usual suspects' are so used to going every year and know exactly what, where, when, who, how etc., that they forgot what it was like the 1st time they did this kind of thing!

We've had similar problems with kite fests where we have been a few years running, and then decide to get more involved. Even writing to organisers etc. to get the relevant permissions etc., finding out where to go/park/stand/sit/fly etc. doesn't always give you the golden ticket. Even when we do know exactly what we should do, we still get into trouble from some of the 'old timers'! We now play 'Kite Fest Challenge' so see how quickly we can do something wrong - the last event we went to it took us exactly 30s before someone went balistic at us!!! (Have to say this was a SLK flyer, not a Rev flyer!)

I think the secret is to find someone in the higher eschalons of the festivals and become friends with them and get them to show you the ropes.

That said, lowely Groz and Choccy will always welcome serious newbie flyers with open arms to come join us if we are lucky enough to find ourselves sat behind the velvet rope! (but only if you behave :) )

Fraid I can not help with the meal-deal-tickets though, although I feel if we take our own food, drink, plates, napkins, insurance and promise to clean our shoes and not make too much noise, we might just sneek in unnoticed :D

Of course if we can't make it in, there may well be a better party to attend else where - LOL! As Oscar Wild once said "I don't want to be a member of any club where they allow people like me to become members"....

Good Luck

Groz

Flame suit is on.

Ian

No flaming from me Ian........ that's the impression I was getting .. but I think the reality is the team flyers have a bit on trying to organise their mega flys or whatever and I don't think the social side is anything to do with them.....

So maybe we should get the thread back on topic and make it 'inclusive' ..... anybody know what the form is for the rest of us? flying, meet ups, social etc?? having not done either festival it would be good to get a heads up what to expect, where to head for etc etc

Jonesey

edit: must type quicker Groz you beat me to it

So maybe we should get the thread back on topic and make it 'inclusive' ..... anybody know what the form is for the rest of us? flying, meet ups, social etc?? having not done either festival it would be good to get a heads up what to expect, where to head for etc etc

edit: must type quicker Groz you beat me to it

Yup - they don't call me Magic Fingers for...well they don't call me Magic fingers at all!

so for Portsmouth, suggest you e-mail [email protected] (Jon Bloom is the organiser) and get some details that you can post back here, and for Bristol e-mail [email protected] (I think Avril is the contact).

I'm talking to them about video permissions etc., so I don't want to muddy the waters by asking them about other things.

If you could get on to them Jonesey, and post back you findings, I'll buy you an Icecream at each of the fests (A small one mind)!

Cheers

Groz

Flame suit is on.

Ian

Ian, I think the position regarding the evening events was covered a while back in this thread.

"At Bristol, the on-site party is held in the main marquee and (almost) anyone is welcome to stick around for the auction, night flying, fireworks and a drink or three (the bar is open til 11). The meal is by ticket only, but some tickets are available on the day (from AKF) and some of the food traders may stay open later. The party is not open to the 'general' public, as our licenses would not allow (and it would be chaos!). But if you're 'part' of the Festival in that you are linked with other teams and are there to join in (rather than just sit and watch as a 'normal' punter), then you're welcome to come!

I hope this helps! It is a bit confusing as Ashton Court is public space (although technically it shuts to the public at sunset), but we 'hire' our bit of it from the council for the event, so are therefore responsible for who is there and what happens.

Cheers,

Lynn "

The organizers are obviously in a slightly delicate position regarding an open party invitation, but I take the above to mean by flying your Rev there you aint just "sitting and watching", so go for it....we will. :lol:

You are right about the them and us bit....there are us who will be at P'mouth and Bristol and them who wont.

What is the usual?

Never stayed on the Saturday night before,

humble apologies for my simple question.

I need to make plans if we are to stay.

Hi Choccy, Sat night at any festival can be what ever you want.

I've read later posts and there seems to be an impression of a huge on site dinner.

The only event I've been to that had a huge dinner was Dieppe, and the wait wasn't worth it :-) We actually applauded when the bread did arrive!!

I've been to a lot of festivals, can be finish flying back to where ever your bed may be. Shower, change then back to field for a BBQ (Burnt Burger Que), Or met in lobby with "your" team then head into town to find a place to eat (team of 3 good, The Flying Squad BAD ("yes, table for 20 please" Waiter, sorry were have no room... Repeat ALL night.)

Cruise the bars and resturants till you see some familiar faces, and join in. If you spot a Foreign flyer they will love you - same interest and you speak the local lingo.

Finally for both Ports & Bristol, I know the organisers, and rarely eat at the on site, they usually have just enough to feed the foreign flyers and I can get by in the local area, the organisers are ALL on vey tight budgets. And you will eat better off site, but go back for the auction in the tent or night fly. (also you get to see some of the local area, Southsea (portsmouth has some really nice places to eat as does anywhere in Bristol or go to Bath v posh[remember meeting Chris Goff & his dad in a bar there one year great time])

PS for those not used to getting in an arena, make a rok its good fun cheap and the organiser will love you ! Or if you fly Rev's get a routine together and talk to the PA guy.

Enjoy !, BTW we've all been to our 1st Festival so we ALL know what its like.

PPS, as you and Groz are Stephen Hoaths official Ground Stake holders wont you get arena passes anyway :kid_devlish:

Yup, you'll be the correct side of the rope, along with your ice-cream ;)

I wonder where all these 'chips' came from. If anyone has a problem please PM me. I will be on Blackheath in the morning in case anyone would like to get further 'clue'.

Thanks

Felix