New Race Rev Spar

Bazzer

I flew Race Rods in my vented last weekend with FortFlyer in 12-18ish. I think by the time it gets to be 15+ I prefer 4-wraps to the Race Rods. I find it useful to have more weight in the kite in those kinds of winds plus the 4-wraps are stiffer and tougher. There is no way I'd want to fly the Race Rods in 20+, even if they could take it. I suppose I could leave the Race Rods in the verticals and just go with the 4-wrap leading edge too since the leading edge seems to take the brunt of the force.

I think FortFlyer agreed we were starting to hit the upper range for the Race Rods in terms of precision.

--Lee

Hit the nail right on the head, when the wing tips seem like they will be touching soon its time to upgrade lol

At 15+ the kite just seems bow a bit too much making it want to roll a bit to easy therefor making it more difficult to keep steady, like the SLE being too stiff there is also a point when its also too limber.

Sweet Rods Though, the day before Lee came down we had very little wind and I was flying the same vented with Race Rods along side of SUL's in 2-5 mph and keeping up very easy.

Maybe Ben can come up with a Turbo Race Rod for 15+ lighter than a 3 with the stiffness of a 4 that would be sweet for just the response alone.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont see the need to use them in winds highr then 8 mph myself but thats me

Ant the snapback response of the Race Rod is amazing as you know up to 10 mph to me there is no comparison, from 5-12 mph it becomes the vented dream frame, but as with all of the frames it comes to a point where they get too noodley I'm sure they would make it to 20 but I'm not going to sacrifice a set to see :kid_smartass: I'm just thinking the possibilities of Race's Big Brother :kid_devlish:

I asked a million questions about these things and it took me getting a set to get my answers, I'm thinking thats probably going to be the case for most, defiantly worth getting where you take them to will have to be personal preference.

I beg to differ, I was submerging my B-Series with Race Rods inside of waves last weekend, then walking back quickly to keep it upright while the waves broke... Launching out of the water when it cleared the surface. ;)

They're tough, and surf just fine.

I am sure :sign_kitelife: YOU :sign_kitelife: could do that all day long. Now for the mortals out there who just might, sometimes let the wave catch your kite, there is still not a spar that will stand up to it. I did, it broke, I replaced it. Lesson learned.

John I hope you know this is a total compliment to your skills :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folks..

I snapped my Race rods the Other Day.. Broke the Leading edge in two places.. oops..

Right where the Vert Rods meet the Leading Edge.. I wore out the rod..

then Snap!!! Both Places at once.. Totally my Fault.. Here is why

Most flyers I talked to about this change thier rods for wind Conditions..

I was just changing Kites so I never Moved the rod for Months of flying..

If you are like me..

Have a Look at the Leading edge to see of there is Wearing on those two places..

I am going to move my new Rods around my Kite from now on..

I think that will solve my problem..

I got to try out my new race rods this evening. I put 'em in a full sail on a 50# line set. The kite was really racy in 5 mph winds. B) They seem to be a bit snappier. More responsive. I like 'em already. I'm sure I'll like 'em even more after I get to spend more time with 'em.. :)

Denny

• 3 months later...