New Race Rev Spar

Bazzer

Impotant news for all.

I have just been flying with Ben this weekend at Lincoln City. B)

He had with him a brand new leading edge spar.

I believe it is called the Race Spar.

Boy oh Boy!

John you and the boys need them.

It's about the weight of a two wrap but is a three wrap!

We were flying it instead of a two wrap in the low winds. I'm not sure if it is lighter than the two wrap??

I have been practising(alot) and have been getting up to speed with inverted flight.

This spar felt fantastic. The overall feel is great.

It's so dammed light.

I'm not sure what the top end is but it could eliminate that spar change between two and three wrap winds maybe further.

Ben can you give every one the details?

I'm sure the release must be soon.

When can they get it and how much?

Put me down for one NOW!

the diference in feel was amazing even to this hack!

Bazzer

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Family the cats out of the bag and I guess it's time to talk about it some. Some of you know that I've been working on some new structures for the 1.5 and theres been a huge break thru on this, what we've done is take some 90 area weight graphite rather than the normal 120 and changed the lay up and some other stuff that I refuse to go into and have made a 3 wrap rod that is about 4.5 grams lighter than the normal quarter inch 3 wrap and much more responsive than anything we have ever made before hence, the Race Frame Set is born. The cost is a bit higher but this carbon fiber is more expensive and the lay up is a #$@%& so yeah it's a bit more expensive. This set up is not for everyone and it lighter with a bit more flex than your used to but we flew it all weekend in Lincoln City Or. in winds as low as 3 mph to almost 12 mph and broke nothing and the fliers I've put on it could not get over how well it flew, it's new and it's cutting edge and it's here for you when you want to take it to another step up in your skill...................Ben B)

How does this new stick compare to the 2-wrap? 4.5g lighter than 3-wrap sounds about the same weight as the 2-wrap. Will there be a new stick lighter than the 2-wrap?

Very curious as I have a custom SUL on order and might want to rethink the framing...

--Lee

Ben had them with him up in LA the weekend before last.

They are quite light about like a 2 wrap with the strength of a 3 wrap. He said they would have to be made each by hand because of the type of carbon used. Thus I presume, they will not be cheap. I would guess that they might be in the price class of "Aerostuff".

We did not try them as the winds were not reasonable enough to attempt any type of evaluation.

4.5 grams lighter than the normal quarter inch 3 wrap is interesting but does anyone know the different weights of the 2,3, and 4 wraps? It would be good to know anyway for when I mix them up.

Many years ago I had written about it for REV I rods in the "Drachen Magazin" which was published in German.

Now I am picking at my brain.

It seems to me it was 7 grams difference between 2 and 3 and the same 3 and 4. I never checked the weight of my 6 wraps(STIFF).

I think the 4 wrap was 28 grams, followed by 3 wrap at 21 grams and 2 wrap at 14 grams.

The REV I rods are 91cm long and the REV 1.5 are 79cm long.

I just measure my 1.5 rods on a relatively inaccurate US postal scale and got:

- 2 wrap 0.5oz

- 3 wrap 0.7oz

- 4 wrap 0.9oz

I don't know how much my sails weigh....... I don't know how much my spars weigh and I dont know lenghts or widths or any of the other technical stuff that makes my kite fly. I don't even have a second hand on my watch!!! I do know that when my handles do this .... or that ....... it makes my kite fly and gives me enjoyment. Carry on family. :D

i would like to try the advantage leading edge and downspars that go on a rev indoor on a 1.5 sail i bet you would see some light wind peforamce then

iQuad has some cut-down indoor spars for their 1.5s. They fly pretty sweet in very light winds.