Who's excited about WSIKF?

bartman

I must admit this year has been rather rough on me. It has been hard to look forward to anything with so many "challenges" I've encountered in day to day things around here, but lately things have been improving a bit and my attitude has improved as a result and now I can say that I am starting to really look forward to this adventure!

It will be an adventure for me in many ways. A lot of flying by the seat of my pants which, if you know me, you know I do not do very well.

Don't really know what to expect and when to expect it or maybe I just need a vacation from the day to day stuff, but either way I'm starting to get pumped up about all of this and meeting so many people that I only know through this forum.

I anticipate my flying skills to improve 10 fold after I have a chance to fly with the best and pick everyone's brains every day for a week!

So, dumb question, but who is getting pumped and why does going get you that excited?

Bart

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very excited.

This is the same festival that I attended for the first time in 2005, and first laid my eyes on a rev. This festival is where I first learned how to fly revs, both indoors and out. I have been back every year since. WSIKF is a week of non-stop kite flying. That means at least 8 hours of flying time every day for seven days.

As a bonus, this year, I have the pleasure of meeting so many people, some of which are kiting legends. Some brain picking will definitely be done. There are also those that I have come to know through the forum that I am very excited to meet. And as always, there are those that I am not even aware of yet, who I am also excited to meet.

Not to mention that little 10 x 10 grid thing kid_smartass.gif

What reason is there to not be excited for WSIKF 2010?

Edited by Watty

I must admit this year has been rather rough on me. It has been hard to look forward to anything with so many "challenges" I've encountered in day to day things around here, but lately things have been improving a bit and my attitude has improved as a result and now I can say that I am starting to really look forward to this adventure!

It will be an adventure for me in many ways. A lot of flying by the seat of my pants which, if you know me, you know I do not do very well.

Don't really know what to expect and when to expect it or maybe I just need a vacation from the day to day stuff, but either way I'm starting to get pumped up about all of this and meeting so many people that I only know through this forum.

I anticipate my flying skills to improve 10 fold after I have a chance to fly with the best and pick everyone's brains every day for a week!

So, dumb question, but who is getting pumped and why does going get you that excited?

Bart

It was 'an adventure' getting the Portsmouth/Bristol events to happen. This is 'the next step'.

It is hard to explain how excited one could be about seeing a concept realised given that the idea was formed so many years ago. <grins> Especially one that depends on the contribution of so many people...

Felix

:blue-grin: :blue-grin: :blue-grin: excited ... you bet !!!!!!

2009 was my first WSKIF experience and i had a awesome time ... except for the speeding ticket but thats another story

the weather can be "iffy" ( coastal mist /rain),but 2009 was spot on and i have all my digits crossed for a repeat . i always travel with all weather gear here on the coast , even in summer , ya just never know

i am so looking forward to flying with my east coast /praire friends and meeting those coming from offshore .... this is going to rock !!!!!

a visual feast of kites and so much to learn from so many flyers.... yeah i am definitely stoked :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

see you all soon

cheers

terry

ISLAND QUAD

Last year was my first time and of course now it won't be my last.

7 straight days of being on the beach with old friends, new friends, distant and yet unknown new friends and of course the 10x10!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, not much to look forward to there!!!!

What is it, like 35 days now? (Who's really counting?!)

@Bart and @Felix (& all others whom I haven't yet met), I'm very excited to hang and swap stories and exchange knowledge, etc........

@Iquad, Island Quad and the other partners in crimebig_band.gifbig_beer.gif ...............w00t.gifclap_1.gifgroup.gifgathering.gifbig_beer.gif

"Such a long long time to be gone, but a short time to be there............."

Excited because I get to see friends and fly kites.

A little nervous about the big grid but I'll be fine as long as I don't have to take a position that has to hold an inverted hover for an extended period of time...

Also, it'll be my first time to Washington state so I am looking forward to some new scenery.

-Alden

The goals we're aiming for are exciting, but for me, not half as exciting as the prospect of seeing so many folks spreading their wings and increasing their skill level. :)

Lots of great people coming to do something together, lots and lots of informal flying, going to be a whole lot of fun!!!!

I'm still not sure about the grid either, but probably after a few days of intense flying and instruction it may not seem as intimidating.

Bart

@ Alden too...............

Grid flying is relatively simple, in fact it's probably more easy than regular line flying. The moveas are way easier and less about flying around alot.

The intimidation factor for you guys I believe is borne out of what will be the sheer number of overall kites in the air around you.

JB and asst leaders will assess the pilots by skill level and hover ability and place those unsure of themselves at the lower end of the lines/grid so they will have the hover on top of any balls, etc

Don't over think it! It's all about FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excited because I get to see friends and fly kites.

A little nervous about the big grid but I'll be fine as long as I don't have to take a position that has to hold an inverted hover for an extended period of time...

Also, it'll be my first time to Washington state so I am looking forward to some new scenery.

-Alden

I'm still not sure about the grid either, but probably after a few days of intense flying and instruction it may not seem as intimidating.

Bart

Ditto on Alden and Bart!

Hey guys... We can support one another's, apprehension, panic, worry, anxiety, unease, and maybe a little down-right fear! Not-to-mention a whole lot of pure excitement! I'm stoked!

I'll be hitting Sturgis smiley-devil.gif on the way out... DON'T Start without me! tongue.gif

Ditto on Alden and Bart!

Hey guys... We can support one another's, apprehension, panic, worry, anxiety, unease, and maybe a little down-right fear! Not-to-mention a whole lot of pure excitement! I'm stoked!

I'll be hitting Sturgis smiley-devil.gif on the way out... DON'T Start without me! tongue.gif

It's OK to be a little apprehensive about the grid, but don't worry too much. Lynn and I had never flown or even seen a grid until WSIKF last year. We were in the 36, the 50 and the 64. No problem.

At WSIKF John put those who were less confident in the end teams, or on the bottom of a team so that they could make an escape without taking someone with them if necessary.

Alden, at WSIKF last year the only hover held for any period of time was vertical, which is by far the easiest.

Ditto on Alden and Bart!

Great a support group... That could be just as much fun!

Bart

Great a support group... That could be just as much fun!

Bart

Hey, we are all in this together.

I am as apprehensive as the next person and can see that positive encouragement will be in order all round.

The collaboration of so many fliers has to be a special moment in the sense that JB alludes to in a previous post.

I was wondering about how to go about taking time to talk with all the individual participants... I might be on an autograph mission <grins>

Felix

I'll just throw back a couple drinks before the support group meeting and it will all be good! cool.gif

Bart

Are those 'adult beverages' that you are referring to there? <grins>

Flying with a hangover, I learned many years ago, is not the 'real thing'.

I will now pause and wonder if we are talking at cross purposes here. This is a collaborative undertaking. We all have an over riding interest in making a success of it so will all try to help our fellow fliers succeed in their efforts.

Felix

I am nervous but not that bad. It's when I look at the other 50+ megaflies that I say holy s&^% look at all those kites.

Scottie took us through some gridwork in Wilwood and it was pretty cool. If it's like that I'll be fine.

Like I sad, just no inverted hovers. I can do them but I am not as stable as I want to be right now.

-Alden

I am nervous but not that bad. It's when I look at the other 50+ megaflies that I say holy s&^% look at all those kites.

Scottie took us through some gridwork in Wilwood and it was pretty cool. If it's like that I'll be fine.

Like I sad, just no inverted hovers. I can do them but I am not as stable as I want to be right now.

-Alden

Hi Alden,

I suspect that there will be an opportunity to check line settings and other considerations in the warm-up days.

Inverted hovers are likely to be much easier if the lines are set with plenty of brake.

One major anxiety that I have is that 'fast forward' fliers will not be persuaded to adjust their settings. As a 9 stone/126 pound lightweight I have been bemused at seeing someone twice my weight losing control of the kite in high winds because it was not set with sufficient brake.

Felix

I will now pause and wonder if we are talking at cross purposes here. This is a collaborative undertaking. We all have an over riding interest in making a success of it so will all try to help our fellow fliers succeed in their efforts.

Felix

I think we are all on the same page.

The support group is just for us that have more than a little nerves going into this. We can face the it as a group knowing we all feel the same way.

No drinking and flying! That part was the joke.

Bart

I think we are all on the same page.

The support group is just for us that have more than a little nerves going into this. We can face the it as a group knowing we all feel the same way.

No drinking and flying! That part was the joke.

Bart

Bart,

Thanks for your message.

In the same spirit I wonder who should be more nervous and in need of the support group, you or I? I think that you sum it up perfectly 'we all feel the same way'.

Joke or otherwise, I'll probably need an adult beverage at some point in the undertaking.

Is there going to be a party? Do we need to book a venue for the Saturday night? <grins>

Felix

Of course there will be a party Saturday night, It is my wifes birthday that day!

I am at a loss for words when it comes to describing how much I am looking forward to WSIKF this year. To be able to welcome so many fellow fliers to my home state, and country, has me vibrating in anticipation. To be able to wrap lines with you all is almost more than I can imagine.

Heres to wishing everyone safe travels on your way to WSIKF, whenever and where ever you begin your adventure! :blue-music: