race rods green?

tommylurvebus

Question

Hey peoples. I just got a set of race rods in advance of the b series pro sail that is winging its way to me from the US as we speak. (Brilliant wife. perfect birthday gift) Anyway they are green. Cool colour and as i am getting custom fade race green sail, they will sit really well. Just wondered if RRs come in many colours or if there is any significance to different colours. By the way my American friends Colour is the correct spelling despite what spell check may saywink.gif Happy New Year

22 answers to this question

There is an earlier thread

http://www.revkites....__fromsearch__1

where they talk about them. These are stronger but more flexible than the original race rods. Hope this helps.

I just received a set of green rods with my new Vented Bazzer Eyes B) B)

Thanks for directing me to that thread sirrom. Thats excellent. They look pretty impressive. Now waiting on the wind. Enjoy your new kite.

Cheers. tommy

There is an earlier thread

http://www.revkites....__fromsearch__1

where they talk about them. These are stronger but more flexible than the original race rods. Hope this helps.

I just received a set of green rods with my new Vented Bazzer Eyes B) B)

Flexible, depends on how you define it in this case.

As far as wind conditions go, they are more flexible with the wind range. Meaning they can be used in almost as low a winds as the black race rod and considerably higher winds then the black race rod.

Do they flex as much as the black race rod? I have to say no. They are a bit stiffer.

They definitely return faster from a bend then the black race rod.

They are slightly heavier then the black race rod, however I don't think you will notice it.

They are definitely more rugged then the race rod.

Sounds good to me. Do you think they weigh much more than 2 wrap? I normally Use 2wrap in my standard sail for low wind flight up to 7mph ish. The standard sail does feel better with 3 wrap and a little more wind though (a little less spongy and floppy) more positive.... As soon as I possibly can I switch to mid vent with 3wrap. The mid vent is a dream to fly (more forgiving, allows me more time to learn and perfect new skills) and is still positive. I am hoping to get most use for these R rods with my mid vent kites. If they push up the wind range of the mid vent that may not be a bad thing (allowing for swirly surprises.) That Just leads me to one final question........ Stronger than 3wrap in the Full Vent or not???? Of course I will test this myself tentatively but its always good to have a "heads up" from those more experienced..

Cheers John

Edited by tommylurvebus

You'll find that RRs in any of your kites is a good thing!!! :) Unless there's a really strong wind blowing, those rods have a different flex rate than any of the full wrap rods, ie 2, 3, 4!!! They will handle a really wide wind range!!! :) Try 'em, you'll like 'em!!!:)

Yep i fully intend to try them in each of my kites. Looking forward to experiencing the difference's I have seen some posts commenting on RR leading edge outer spars with 2wrap central spar. What do you think ? I guess that would only be a very light wind combination.

Edited by Kitelife

As with any rods, mix em up as you see fit.

3 wrap middle, Race ends 2 wrap downs, 2 wrap middle, etc etc.

If you are clever you can spread one set of RR's between more than One sail, with just one set of RR and one set of 2 Wraps you could have a full RR LE and a hybrid RR LE with 2 wrap down spars. Thus if you have quite a few sails, and quite a few sets of rods you can save swapping rod sets all the time.

Mix n match to suit the wind and your mood.

Yeah, there's posts on hybrid frames, I'd stick to full frames to see if you can tell any difference first!! :) Then mess with mixing and all!! :huh: Too easy to over think things if you try too many combos right off the bat!! confused_1.gif Get a "feel" for things, then try some different combos that make sense to you!! :) You'll find a combo that works for your style of flying!!:)

Thanks for all the info and advice folks. Had only cold still days of late so am spending most of my time staring out of windows at motionless trees. Will be tryin pick and mix frames Baloo, after plenty of time using uniform setup, sound advice SV

Kent (wind of change ) RR Greens. Stronger than 3wrap or not????? best guess!! Dont fancy doing an expensive flex bend test. I have as yet never snapped a rod. I do have a wind meter but go mostly on instinct to avoid breakage. I suppose the only way to really know is to push things to the limit. Has anyone ever had a busted upright rod go through a Rev sail or do they tend to break backward away from the kite? By the way please do not assume I am some sort of rod wrecking kite smashing cave man. Its just that if you really want to progress you have to push the limits a little now and then. Dont You! I am not fond of loading 2sets of leading edge spars into my kites (a little stretch IMO) so I am guilty of flying a little near to the wind range limit especially for the mid vent.

Edited by tommylurvebus

I do not have the actual weights of the Greens. I do happen to have the insight on how they are made, and because of this know that they are indeed heavier than the normal race rods. I would have to get a gram scale to find the actual differences between the Race, Greens and 3 wraps - but am pretty sure the difference would be minimal, all of these rods are super light. I do know that the Greens can take much more stress before breaking than the 3 wraps do, this was done with side by side comparisons between myself and a fellow flier. We actually broke the 3 wrap after flexing the Green, trying to flex the two rods the same. This was not done during flight but by flexing the rods in our hands. We did break the Green by flexing and it took a lot of force, more than you would ever expect from such a thin rod - after all, they are not SLE's. When the 3 wrap broke, it broke in half near the middle. When the Green broke, it popped into three pieces.

Hope this helps. If I find a way, I will weigh the rods and post the info up.

Has anyone ever had a busted upright rod go through a Rev sail or do they tend to break backward away from the kite?

Yes and no...

I had one explode and go through the LE. Then I have had them break and the kite just got a little loose, all parts remained in the LE.

If you want an expert on breaking spars then Antman needs to weigh in.

-Alden

depends on the method of breaking,

high pressure wind COULD push one of the busted pieces away from the sail, but a ground impact might force it forward instead. I've had 'em go both ways, but none this week (wink, wink!)

I use magic sticks, so the tube busts next to the fitting and kind of dangles nearby.

If the kite frame is really busted up you'll need to be careful landing

or it might swirl all around and really chew things up along the path of least resistance (into the sail!)

Ahh so there is plenty of potential for sail damage. I will tread a little more carefully. Anyhow at last I got to get out with my new greens today. Good wind for inland SE UK. 11mph to 17mph according to my meter. First chance to use my full vent. The RR felt sound. I was surprised at how powered up the vented sail felt. I have managed my standard sail in winds like this before,although at the top end it felt inadvisable. The flex in these rods felt different to 3wrap. The rods really do feel strong (this is an instinctual feel thing rather than factual assessment) but I really need to get them in the mid vent to properly assess other benefits . At 17mph ish the kite was becoming to to fast to handle with any finesse, but I still felt confident in the frame. At this point though I changed up to 4wrap strong. First time with 4wrap too. I was glad to find I still had an animate kite with a more settled feel. I have seen videos of the SLE and have to say the sails look like they should have wide vehicle flags attached to the LE end caps. Indestructible but inanimate. So now I know or think I do, RR greens stronger than 3wrap. Glad I have them. I know they are going to be so sweet in the pro, Bazzer has kindly produced for me.

Oh and for those calorie counters among us. My greens weigh in at 16grams. 27grams central spar with ferrals....... Heavier then 2 Wrap, lighter than 3 wrap. Cheers all xtommyxwink.gif

Edited by tommylurvebus
  • Like 1

It is nice to have an assortment of frames that you can switch to match your flying skill and the wind conditions!!:) Nothing wrong with using a little bit stronger frame, if that's what makes you comfortable!!!:) I don't have a set of "greenies" yet, but I use all the frames I have to suit wind conditions!!:) There's lots of opinions that rods like the original RR can take more abuse than thought, but I agree, use the frame you're happy with!! Confidence in your equipment will let you take it closer to the edge!!!:w00t:

It is nice to have an assortment of frames that you can switch to match your flying skill and the wind conditions!!:) Nothing wrong with using a little bit stronger frame, if that's what makes you comfortable!!!:) I don't have a set of "greenies" yet, but I use all the frames I have to suit wind conditions!!:) There's lots of opinions that rods like the original RR can take more abuse than thought, but I agree, use the frame you're happy with!! Confidence in your equipment will let you take it closer to the edge!!!:w00t:

Learning curve. Not terminal bend.rolleyes.gif

I agree Wayne. I used the Green RR in my new Vented Bazzer Eyes with the wind at 8mph and they were great. The sail loaded up just fine. I actually can't wait for some higher winds to test them out :)

post-1734-129427956219_thumb.jpg

I feel that this is the advantage of having several frame sets!! Just because you've chosen a vented kite doesn't mean you're limited to 3 or 4 wrap frames!!:kid_smartass: You can fly vents in very low winds with the proper frame in it!!:kid_content: The rods are so strong, try different frames and see what works for you in your wind conditions!!!:) If you don't try 'em, you'll never know!!!:)