world record of 64 revolution kites... FAIL

Jonesey

LOVE that photo Ben!!

Bart

Hmmm... Was that supposed to be a straight line at right angles to the wind direction? Duh!

Anyway, I am reminded of butterflies perched ready to take off in their characteristic 'random' flight patterns... warming their wings before taking flight!

At the Saturday morning briefing (at WSIKF) I think that I suggested two considerations, the first being that the whole process (launch, perform, land) should be considered 'as part of' the performance, the second being that we should try to bring the columns together. In the event the light wind curtailled the performance.

Never mind, there is always the next time, just need to get a grip of the logistics of getting all the fliers together at a suitable venue.

Felix

Hmmm... Was that supposed to be a straight line at right angles to the wind direction? Duh!

Anyway, I am reminded of butterflies perched ready to take off in their characteristic 'random' flight patterns... warming their wings before taking flight!

At the Saturday morning briefing (at WSIKF) I think that I suggested two considerations, the first being that the whole process (launch, perform, land) should be considered 'as part of' the performance, the second being that we should try to bring the columns together. In the event the light wind curtailled the performance.

Never mind, there is always the next time, just need to get a grip of the logistics of getting all the fliers together at a suitable venue.

Felix

Yeah I think that I took that picture and my pulse was still shaking after bitting the record. That's why the kites don't look like they're in line...... :kid_smartass::w00t::w00t:

Cheers

Mario

Yes, I remember well when you made both these comments. I recall that we did compress the grid ever so briefly on Saturday? Seems to me there was a lot of instability with the way the wind was.

I also recall that by the end the wind had become so light that most of the bottom four downwind rows were dropping like flies just trying to find a parking spot that wasn't going to hinder another dropping kite. I do not recall what the upwind rows looked like coming down.

Next time.... much better and with everyone at least 30 feet apart not 35... kid_smartass.gif

Bart

Felix

Me too, Me too! Especially after going out this past weekend into the choppy, crappy winds we have here!

Bart

I don't care what anyone says.

I remember 63 friends (and myself) grinning from ear to ear when we were done that day.

I want to be there again right now!

-Alden

Heh, sure!  3.

Me, John and Steve doing the iQuad indoor routine :D

We set the bar low.

Hi Monkey, no that doesn't count you need at least FIVE to beat AIRKRAFT

Did we not mention in REVision some while back ? 

Now that would be an easy one to do and that would give Felix nightmares as to how to organise the grid.

Think we should leave it to the youngsters to organise... Over to you Watty  :blue-grin:

If you like closeness, you should have been at Kite Party in Huntington Beach CA this year.  Lines are limited to 75' at that event due to space, and wanting all fliers to be able to fly whenever they wish.

There were times when we had 18 rev fliers, all standing in one line, elbow to elbow, flying follows, threads, Leaders benefits in groups of six, "balls" in groups of six, pez starting in the middle going down, moving to the right and going up, then moving to the right going down all in groups of six in one continuous line.

One ball of 18, two balls of 9, three balls of 6.

All on 75' lines.

Now that was exciting and loads of fun!

Hi Jim, that what we want taking it back old school.. These kids with there 120 foot lines , makes it too easy  :blue-grin: It's nice to fly on shorter lines every now and then gets you closer to your REV  :blue-grin:

Hi Jim, that what we want taking it back old school.. These kids with there 120 foot lines , makes it too easy  :blue-grin: It's nice to fly on shorter lines every now and then gets you closer to your REV  :blue-grin:

Well, trust me, it was very close, but so much fun. In a simple figure eight follow we had to stay "bumper to bumper" in order for the first kite to get around the last.

Would love to do it again.

Sounds like a good idea. Mind you, were it to be done with US of A line spacing you'd need to book the NASA vehicle assembly building. wink.gif

We have just the ticket here on campus at East Tennessee State University. Link to picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ETSU.jpg

It's was originally built to house an indoor football field (note: "field" not "pitch")

Edited by Scott_of_melnsct

Hi Monkey, no that doesn't count you need at least FIVE to beat AIRKRAFT

Airkraft flew 5 quads indoors?

Think we should leave it to the youngsters to organise... Over to you Watty  :blue-grin:

I envision cattle prods or tasers. John had nixed those for WSIKF, much to my dismay.

:sign_kitelife:

Greetings oh fearless leader <snip>

I thought that the image (up-thread) showing the fliers, the kites and the shadows on the sand was somewhat impressive. The precise orientation of the fliers, the kites and the positions on the ground are not particularly significant to me.

What really matters is the view from the car park/parking lot half a mile or more up the beach! <grins>

Felix

Thank You!

I have lost the link to the initial KAP image that you posted. It was of the 64 grid with the fliers and shadows except for the person on the extreme right hand side.

Please could you send me the link or post again as I think that the image conveyed the complete picture of what was achieved.

Thanks

Felix

• 2 years later...

I have lost the link to the initial KAP image that you posted. It was of the 64 grid with the fliers and shadows except for the person on the extreme right hand side.

Please could you send me the link or post again as I think that the image conveyed the complete picture of what was achieved.

Thanks

Felix

Hmmm!

64 was a failure in terms of a 100 attempt but it was still a serious achievement for everyone who took part.

I'm looking forward to the next serious 100 attempt and obviously very grateful to those fliers who are willing to take up the practical and logistical challenge <grins>

Felix