Revolution Event 2008

Felix

Can we please clear something up here, re The Giant Rev.

As I understood it, way back when The Revolution Event 2008 (Bristol/Portsmouth) was announced, the intention was to try and arrange a mass gathering of a many of the worlds TOP Rev teams as possible, to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of both Revolution and The Decorators at two of the UK’s top kite festivals. The rest of us were invited to come and see the spectacle.

Then a couple of months back there complaints of exclusivity, (though to be frank I can’t see why, if you buy tickets to a west end show you don’t expect to be invited to join the cast on stage) and then talk of a bigger more basic mega-team so some of us lesser mortals could be involved.

The plan for The Giant Rev has been posted in this thread not the Informal Mega Fly Thread.

Before we all start shouting “Me Please” perhaps we had better think about waiting for invitations.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

though to be frank I can’t see why, if you buy tickets to a west end show you don’t expect to be invited to join the cast on stage
Oh I don't know. Paul Mckenna once hypnotised my mate on stage, and my nephew threw a pie at Jimmy Tarbuck at some theater in Shaftsbury Avenue. Mind you, it was cinders.

Oh I don't know. Paul Mckenna once hypnotised my mate on stage, and my nephew threw a pie at Jimmy Tarbuck at some theater in Shaftsbury Avenue. Mind you, it was cinders.

Okay point taken, but lot of people have put a lot of time and effort into making this work do you really want to turn it into a pantomime. (clickable for non Brits)

I don't know about you but, given the choice, I would rather see a good show, than be part of a bad one.

Killer idea Sabine, I'm all for a giant Rev made of Revs. <grin>

It's something I've wanted to do for awhile, but haven't had the quantity of skilled pilots to work with.

Start as a ball, then morph straight into the Rev shape, easy enough to adjust from there I think.

Pretty sure it'd be the first time this has been done. ;)

Okay point taken, but lot of people have put a lot of time and effort into making this work do you really want to turn it into a pantomime. (clickable for non Brits)

I don't know about you but, given the choice, I would rather see a good show, than be part of a bad one.

I think that the intention is for the very experienced team fliers to do the difficult bit and when that is done there is a mass fly which should not be too demanding. Mexican wave etc. We might want to get more than 50 fliers in the air....

Moving the Rev shape around is not trivial and I would agree with John, it would be for the very experienced team fliers only! Non linear movement is a challenge!

In addition to this we have been asked to do a 20 and a 50 at Bristol. The suggestion is that these should be 'framed'.

Felix

I present you all my excuses to have polluted this item with this stupid idea.

Most seriously, do we know if all the teams are equipped with walkies talkies ?

For the mega team that must be effective and precise, I think that this is an important tool.

A second question from Philippe about the lines, have we got all the same lenght ?

Think the REV rev is a cOOL idea.

I will be watching carefully.

As far as a MEGA Mexican wave is concerned, I think even with my small skills I would be up for that.

As far as walkie talkies are concerned. I have a couple of CB hand helds I would happily lend. Problem with that is you could get anyone talking on the same channel as you.

I am also a Radio Ham and as such would be willing to use one of my Ham radios, however it would need other Hams to be there due to the current regulations.

I also have a radio that will work on the Marine frequencies, however that is dubious to use in this situation also.

Also have a scanner but it will only recieve.

Another thought we have a lot of hand helds at work. I could investigate if they could be borrowed. Can't see being able to have them for Portsmouth. However it is only about an Hour and a half run both ways from Bristol. You never know. Might need a special PMR licence though.

If anyone has a hand held is it worth posting the frequency it will work on. You never know there might be enough.

I also have a radio that will work on the Marine frequencies, however that is dubious to use in this situation also.
More than dubious I am afraid Baloo, otherwise I would have offered some of our VHFs to use. At Southsea you are right at the mouth of one of the busiest military and ferry ports in Europe and just a mile or so from the Queen's Harbour master! The QHM would be almost obliged to call in the authorities to deal with a misuse of the marine frequencies (ie spurious traffic and shore to shore) in such a situation! Mind you the calls would be interesting.

Burst over, go over, stand by, wrap to ball over, go over, damn over, firedrill over, out.

Could call a Pan Pan if there was a crash and burn incident. Like tangled lines.

Was sort of thinking more about Bristol!! No rivers or anything around there. Just a huge Estury or summat.

And suppose I should have chosen a better word than dubious. I suppose Highly Dubious, so far as you might get arrested and locked up with a hefty fine.

I am also a Radio Ham and as such would be willing to use one of my Ham radios, however it would need other Hams to be there due to the current regulations.

Hmm - third party traffic comes to mind, but if you want to fly with me (and my wife) we're covered :kid_smartass:

If anyone has a few spare PMR446 sets (licence exempt) the range would be fine. At least one would need VOX control as I'm guessing even the expert flyers probably want both hands for flying....! They may be good for much of the EU too, but of course different arrangements exist in the USA.

Do we need to start a new comms thread? :kid_frustrated:

A stupid idea is coming to my mind ! :w00t:

I don't know how many pilots will be present in Portsmouth but we could try to draw an enormous shape of a revolution kite in the sky !

Like this :

post-2135-1217930665_thumb.jpg

About 27 pilots .

May-be one or may-be two shapes of this size that we could move to make kisses figures, first on spare, and then tips to tips, etc…!!

No ? ...

No !! :blink:

Ok ! It's definitively a stupid and megalomaniac idea !!! :w00t::sign_oops:

I think it's a GREAT idea, we coul deven fill the centre with kites too.

or do kisses etc... Like it.

Just for information :

FLIC is equiped with 10 walkie talkies receiver + 1 transmitter with a kit voice vibration.

Frequency is beginning from 446.00625 MHz to 446.09375 MHz distribute from 1 to 8 channel, spaced out from 12,5 kHz.

We will be 6 pilots, so we can equiped 4 pilots more.

Bye Bye

Re: The Radio/Comms Problem.

When I’m not flying Revs I have been know to turn out as a Red Cross volunteer first aider, through this work I have met some radio enthusiasts who are part of a national charity that provide communications back up for search and rescue and at major disasters. I can’t see that our festivals will fall within their remit but they may well be able to offer some advice.

Due to other commitments, I won’t be able to do anything about it until at least Friday, but if people are interested I will see what I can find out.

Just for information :

FLIC is equiped with 10 walkie talkies receiver + 1 transmitter with a kit voice vibration.

Frequency is beginning from 446.00625 MHz to 446.09375 MHz distribute from 1 to 8 channel, spaced out from 12,5 kHz.

Bye Bye

Hi Sabine, The Flying Squad also have these style radios, we have got them from all over europe. I know we got some in France and they work fine with UK radios.

We have found that when we use all 20 with the team, they get a bit flakey. and the signal drops out a bit. Think we n eed a more powerful transmitter.

Simon.

With just 3 of us on the team, radios are not really needed, so we do not have any. As for Sabine's mega rev idea, I think that is a winner. Hell if we have enough kites we can do 2 on their sides kissing!!! ;-)

Mark.

In the grid line up the fliers are actually quite close. At Dunstable we could hear Stephen 6 deep without a problem.

However I think that the simplest solution would be a loud hailer with a radio headset.

Who will draw the Rev within a Rev diagram?

Felix

Just for information :

Bye Bye

Hi,

Team Bolau has also 6 Motorola TalkAbout PMR talkies, I think using the same range of frecuencies than the ones that use FLIC. We have actually used them in Megateam with FLIC with no problem.

We really think they are necessary if we want all be syncronized in a megateam flying in a big Festival where noise (PA, etc) uses to be a little bit higher than a normal speaker (I mean a person ;-) could beat...... (well, maybe except Stephen's un-human throat....... (sorry for that Stephen))

See U.

We really think they are necessary if we want all be syncronized in a megateam flying in a big Festival where noise (PA, etc) uses to be a little bit higher than a normal speaker (I mean a person ;-) could beat......

Do I see a new standard emerging (for the EU at least):

• 'B' series Rev;
  • 120 foot lines; and
  • PMR446 (with charged batteries, headset for team leader / earpieces for team flyers)?

Sadly there is no single licence-free solution that is suited to both North America and the EU. Although both have such radio facilities, the details differ and so a "type-approved" radio can only operate within one approval scheme.

Portable PA might work in some locations, but is likely to detract from the performance if audible to the audience.

So if everyone planning to participate in a 'formal' mega fly brings a PMR446 (with an earpiece) or borrows one from family or friends it should theoretically work fine, just so long as the channel and sel-call or CTCSS codes are announced in advance... Make sure the batteries are charged before the event. :kid_devlish:

Do I see a new standard emerging (for the EU at least):

• 'B' series Rev;
  • 120 foot lines; and
  • PMR446 (with charged batteries, headset for team leader / earpieces for team flyers)?

Sadly there is no single licence-free solution that is suited to both North America and the EU. Although both have such radio facilities, the details differ and so a "type-approved" radio can only operate within one approval scheme.

Portable PA might work in some locations, but is likely to detract from the performance if audible to the audience.

So if everyone planning to participate in a 'formal' mega fly brings a PMR446 (with an earpiece) or borrows one from family or friends it should theoretically work fine, just so long as the channel and sel-call or CTCSS codes are announced in advance... Make sure the batteries are charged before the event. :kid_devlish:

OK, what are the sel-call or CTCSS codes quite apart from battery charging? <grins>

Can we buy the PMR446 earpieces independently of the transmitter?

Thanks

Felix