Modded Rev II Indoor

Morrunya

I've been thinking about getting a travel size kite to take with me to fly indoors. What I have in mind is a custom Rev II. When I say custom here is what mean:

Light weight (Rev Indoor) fabric, no bridal, 5 piece race frame, and no venting along the LE.

The only thing I am not entirely sure about is the venting. I am not sure if the reverse will be improved enough to leave on the venting, or if it should be taken off to make it fly better indoors.

*For those of you who don't know, the venting along the LE is there because it improves the characteristics of the kite when flying in reverse. It has something to do with the way the air passes through the kite.*

I have never flown the Rev 2 indoors, so anyone who has, how does it compare to the Rev indoor?

Might be cheaper and more promising to have a Indoor Rev with a more compact frame or just a more compact frame for the one you have already, the extra ferrules shouldn't add that much extra weight.

Getting a much smaller Rev 2 with the added ferrules to make a compact frame would hinder the indoor performance more then a few extras on an Indoor.

Something to ponder :confused!:

Watty

I am planning on making an Indoor Rev 2 also. I intend to use .5 oz sail material and .75 oz le pocket. I am going to build it without venting. Should be able to add venting like and applique if I want it later. I will start with a race rod but might do something custom P90's if the kite is too heavy.

I think REV 2 size is the right size for indoor. It will be less floaty so you might be able to do more with it. Lot more spins and it should axle like crazy. I played with REV 2 in light winds on short lines and I there is some real potential.

Keep me informed on your progress and I will do likewise.

Still think it might be easier to make a custom frame for your indoor.

However on thinking about it a Rev 2 would suit your style. as you have said B4 you are not into the floaty mooves.

Have you flown with a Rev 2 outdoors much Watty. They are quick little Devils.

Wish you luck whichever way you go.

And I can understand the need for carrying your kite in your backpack.

this can be done as i have seen one guy a few years back in the wildwood 05 festival flying a really light weight rev 2 style kite .. it had the top vent and im sure it was built by him.. didnt get his name but it was a sweet kite.. i would like to see an sul version of the 2 myself come from rev

Antman,

you've probably seen Jeff Burka at Wildwood. (long black pony-tail, glasses and a baseball cap ~?~)

He's the Rev2 demon the rest of us all want to be!

Jeff flies his Rev2's very aggressively indoors and out,

same kite, same lines (30 feet of Kevlar for like 15 years now!), no bridle, custom sail, very long-throw handles.

He demo'ed the latest, greatest addition last Sunday by the monuments with a slick little 5 piece Race frame set-up.

It was completely beyond my meager skill set, but Jeff can fly it one handed (and not even watch the kite!) while he talks to people. With a quick snap on the handles he's flying it up-wind or flicking it around magically.

The rest of us kinda cringe when he shows up "because it will be yet another lesson by Yoda-Quad!"

He's the Rev2 demon the rest of us all want to be!

You're entirely too kind.

Jeff flies his Rev2's very aggressively indoors and out,

same kite, same lines (30 feet of Kevlar for like 15 years now!), no bridle, custom sail, very long-throw handles.

Actually, 50# spectra. The lineset I had out on Sunday was 25', which I find slightly too long. My ideal line length is 19'. I used to do a lot of flying on 13' lines, as that was the longest I could use safely in the old Wildwood Convention Center.

The handles are Rev I handles extended to 17". I use those handles for everything from indoor to high wind flying with a vented II.

The custom sails are .5oz icarex with 4.9oz dacron reinforcements (smaller than standard) and a 1.5oz ripstop nylon leading edge sleeve. I use a standard fiberglass mesh vent at the leading edge on all of my kites. As Paul notes, I won't use a bridle on a II. Current favorite frame is a stock Rev II Race for SUL, stock Rev II 3-wrap frame for vented.

For indoor flying, I very much like the screened leading edge. We can argue about whether or not it makes that big a difference in reverse flight, but what I like about it is the way it changes the weighting/cg of the sail. I find that has a definite effect on the performance in 3D tricks.

Still think it might be easier to make a custom frame for your indoor.

However on thinking about it a Rev 2 would suit your style. as you have said B4 you are not into the floaty mooves.

Have you flown with a Rev 2 outdoors much Watty. They are quick little Devils.

Wish you luck whichever way you go.

And I can understand the need for carrying your kite in your backpack.

You know, I have given thought to breaking up the rev indoor LE, but there are a couple problems. To make the kite small enough, It would have to be a 6 piece LE. That means that the down spars would also have to break down. That would add 5 more ferrules. Plus, it would be a pain in the arse to fit all 6 LE pieces together while they are in the LE pocket (I would probably have to take them out between flight sessions then put them back in already put together.

For indoor flying, I very much like the screened leading edge. We can argue about whether or not it makes that big a difference in reverse flight, but what I like about it is the way it changes the weighting/cg of the sail. I find that has a definite effect on the performance in 3D tricks.

I will keep that in mind Jeff.

Plus, it would be a pain in the arse to fit all 6 LE pieces together while they are in the LE pocket

I really must take some time out to watch you assemble a LE - it sounds like an interesting technique you have if it causes you that type of pain :)

The extra weight of the ferrules probably makes the idea a no-no unfortunately.

I've been thinking about getting a travel size kite to take with me to fly indoors. What I have in mind is a custom Rev II. When I say custom here is what mean:

Light weight (Rev Indoor) fabric, no bridal, 5 piece race frame, and no venting along the LE.

Hi Watty,

Re Rev 2 indoors.

I have a Custom Rev 2, Light sail ripstop LE with Vent built by Rev. It also has very special thin Rev 2 spars again very light.

This flys indoors really nice.

there are a lot of hom emade Rev in Europe made just for indoor flying. They are sew onto the frame and dont fold down. VERY light. I was at a comp a few years back now and the guy that won I had never heard of, turns out he doesnt fly out doors just indoors. Really impressive. They vented by punching holes in the sail.

Watty

I have about the same set up as you describe except no venting and p200 down tubes, down side with the 1/2oz sail is the the down tubes will rub through the sail in no time so either run some moonie tape along the tubes or slide some extra reinforcement material in that spot on the sail itself. the r2 will have a bit more drive {forward or reverse} in zero wind and as with all R2s the sail doesn't have a a lot of load to it so you can get away with lighter lines ...... 10# felt a bit spongy to me @ 25'

You're entirely too kind.

Actually, 50# spectra. The lineset I had out on Sunday was 25', which I find slightly too long. My ideal line length is 19'. I used to do a lot of flying on 13' lines, as that was the longest I could use safely in the old Wildwood Convention Center.

The handles are Rev I handles extended to 17". I use those handles for everything from indoor to high wind flying with a vented II.

The custom sails are .5oz icarex with 4.9oz dacron reinforcements (smaller than standard) and a 1.5oz ripstop nylon leading edge sleeve. I use a standard fiberglass mesh vent at the leading edge on all of my kites. As Paul notes, I won't use a bridle on a II. Current favorite frame is a stock Rev II Race for SUL, stock Rev II 3-wrap frame for vented.

ok now that know who you are jeff i remember your name and that was a cool kite you had that year .. thanks for the show .. you probly dont remember me but hey these are big festivals we have here..

...down side with the 1/2oz sail is the the down tubes will rub through the sail in no time so either run some moonie tape along the tubes or slide some extra reinforcement material in that spot on the sail itself.....you can get away with lighter lines ...... 10# felt a bit spongy to me @ 25'

The sail wear is a good thing to keep in mind, but I think my Rev indoor has the same material, and I have not noticed any wear. As for lines, I plan on using the same sets I usually use indoors which are 50# 5 or 8 feet.

Here's the deal so far,

I've been talking to Lolly, and she mentioned sail design. With the new rev 2 layout, there are a lot of panels to add weight. So, what I thought of was to use the same sail design as my rev Indoor (Picture Below). That way, I will have a smaller matching indoor rev :D . This whole thing is going to cost me about $200, so I'm gonna beg mom to let me have Christmas early. I really hope I can have it by the time Camas Indoor comes around.

post-374-1221776027_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

how about Avia Sport Supper Skinnies? Basically a race rod set of indoor rods. Only rod you'd need is the center rod of the LE and I know Avia makes a non tappered rod based on the upper spreader of my Synchro. My Synchro is 7' 1" rodded with supper skinnies and weighs 4.1 oz

Avia makes a great rod. Light and stiff. Just the way you'd want your Rev 2 indoor. I'd ask. I mean I know Sky Shark rods are nice. But the Avia's have IMHO always been just ahead of the class.

Dean

how about Avia Sport Supper Skinnies? Basically a race rod set of indoor rods. Only rod you'd need is the center rod of the LE and I know Avia makes a non tappered rod based on the upper spreader of my Synchro. My Synchro is 7' 1" rodded with supper skinnies and weighs 4.1 oz

Avia makes a great rod. Light and stiff. Just the way you'd want your Rev 2 indoor. I'd ask. I mean I know Sky Shark rods are nice. But the Avia's have IMHO always been just ahead of the class.

Dean

Well, all the Rev supplied indoor rods now are a modification of the 1/4" race rods. Plus, I know nothing about Avia or their products, so I like to stick with something I am familiar with. I've always liked the feel of race rods, and I don't want to go and get a set by a different brand just to find it to be too bendy, or too stiff.