Mega Vented EXP

big bri

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arent they Kewl.

With the rev Harrier kindly helped mega vent for me.The inputs are very small and its quite responsive.I love it alaot.All the guys and Gals at Lberty Park thought it worked well and looked kewl to.

Have to Thank Stephen and Susan Hoath for the idea and influence.I flew thers and wanted one

BRIAN...

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

I'm seriously thinking of takeing a hot knife to ripstop and vent an EXP as several here have done by cutting holes. (Gulp). They would be hot cut using a soldering iron.

Before I do though, I wonder if anyone who has done so might give an update on how things have performed, both in flight and durability?

I really could use a vented, have a very limited income and have this EXP available. But don't want to wreck a perfectly fine kite! LOL

Any feedback sure would be appreciated!

TIA

Bill

If you have access to a sewing machine and some plastic screen from Home Depot, you can vent your EXP the same way Revolution vents the factory vented revs. Sew the screen to the back of the sail and cut the ripstop from the front.

We have done it on several kites and it works out just fine.

post-274-131907888032_thumb.jpg

I've "vented" several kites with a cigar. You pick which panels you might want to access and melt thru the ripstop slowly (so it forms a melted edge, a lip) Eventually it will rip out of round and fray on the edges of the circles anyway, but it's a quick way to customize your older kites.

I made a quad-line sport kite to compete and enter as a builder for the 2003 AKAGN convention in Dayton OH. I figured it was inland so making an SUL seemed most appropriate. Naturally the whole week is low wind until my event day. It's bookin' big time (Wednesday only!?), so I "cigar-vented" that sail with about 80 holes. The misses and the sound guy (Jim Hodges) picked my music while I was standing out on the field. I think I came in 3rd for EIQB as a soul flier with a home-built kite we called the Tirips. (our club's modified version of the Spirit, by Steve LaPorte) For about 3 years I didn't want to fly what everyone else uses, but eventually the 1.5 platform wins you over, it does more & easier, . . . . that's why everyone uses Revs!

Eight years later and I still own those two kites, vented with cigar holes. The other is my stealth Rev, an all Black Supersonic,... same deal, one day I'm on Jockey's Ridge NC to compete and the wind is absolutely howling, so I picked a couple of panels on each side and burned a bunch of holes. I could replace the panels and make it whole again, but I never seem to get around to this easy fix!

If you have access to a sewing machine and some plastic screen from Home Depot, you can vent your EXP the same way Revolution vents the factory vented revs. Sew the screen to the back of the sail and cut the ripstop from the front.

We have done it on several kites and it works out just fine.

Hi Jim,

I do sew a little, and thought about your suggestion.

What I wondered about, was how exactly the screen would get sewn on. It seemed like the screen/ripstop seam should get folded some how, as opposed to just a lap type seam.

I've done some "cut-a-way" applique with ripstop which sounds like what you are suggesting.

Did you just use a simple lap seam, or did you fold the edges of the screen over before sewing, or...or...

Thanks!

Bill

I'd recommend creating an edge binding area around the parameter of the venting cut-out to proper size first,

(say a 1/4 inch or 3/8 on each side, use 9460 (3M's product) bonding tape under the folded-over ripstop layer,

then sewing thru that first layer, say with a couple rows of straight stitching, once from each side.

place this finished assembly behind the sail, sew it down with an appropriate width of zig-zag stitching all the way around

then carefully front-cut away the sail's ripstop material where it covers the venting (to open it up)

you don't need to fold-over the venting into the sail, just insure it's captured and permanent after installation efforts are completed.

I'd recommend creating an edge binding area around the parameter of the venting cut-out to proper size first,

(say a 1/4 inch or 3/8 on each side, use 9460 (3M's product) bonding tape under the folded-over ripstop layer,

then sewing thru that first layer, say with a couple rows of straight stitching, once from each side.

place this finished assembly behind the sail, sew it down with an appropriate width of zig-zag stitching all the way around

then carefully front-cut away the sail's ripstop material where it covers the venting (to open it up)

you don't need to fold-over the venting into the sail, just insure it's captured and permanent after installation efforts are completed.

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

Think I'll try that instead of hot cutting holes.

Thanks again for the help!

Hi Jim,

I do sew a little, and thought about your suggestion.

What I wondered about, was how exactly the screen would get sewn on. It seemed like the screen/ripstop seam should get folded some how, as opposed to just a lap type seam.

I've done some "cut-a-way" applique with ripstop which sounds like what you are suggesting.

Did you just use a simple lap seam, or did you fold the edges of the screen over before sewing, or...or...

Thanks!

Bill

No need to fold at the seam. Rev doesn't do that. Hold the screen to the back of the sail with 1/4" double stick seam tape all around the screen, all four sides. Sew through that tape. We use the three-stitch zig zag the same as Rev uses. Cut the sail away from the front being very careful not to cut any of the screen.

You're done.

You can check this by looking at any vented 1.5 Rev.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...