Short Lines in Moderate winds for Tight Spaces

West Australian

Question

Hi All,

I have been wandering around with Rev's in my vision...

Loking at places and Judging their worthiness for Flying.

I have a nice spot walking distance from my work. It is a fairly small area of grass, but I could use 40' lines.

I understand the use of Short lines in very light winds, but does anyone regularly fly in moderate to strong winds on short lines?

Interacting with people at very close quarters requires absolute unwaivering control of your kite ... but it is SO worth the effort in getting to that point when you get the response from them.

I mainly do this on 30' and 50' lines, but I've done it out at 80' and 120' as well ... but the longer the lines the more you're removed from the interaction ... I like it when it's the victim volunteer, the kite AND me in the interaction.

That sounds like a lot of fun dude.

I hope to get to that level of skill one day too.

At the moment I am really trying to get as much air time as I can.

I have cut a set of 90# short Quad lines, about 32' at the moment.

I need to get some sleeving stuff to finish them though.

Should be good...

• Like 1

WA leave the sleeving off on the short line sets... It can interfere with slack line tricks (axle, flic flac) and catch-n-throws. Add a pigtail onto the loop you tie so you can undo the larks head noose knot.

Android OS ~ Tapatalk2

Really? But doesn't knotting Spectra weaken the Line?

BTW I am not at the Axel/Flic Flac stage yet.

All my lines are sleeved ... even my indoor lines (which are 90# line) ... I've not had any issues due to sleeving.

Now snags due to handle position, leader knots, endcap bungees .... THAT's a different story.

• Like 3

Leave the handle end of the lines sleeved ready for equalization and leave the kite end sleevless !

I have just used this method to make up a couple of sets at 30 ft and 47 ft from a standard supplied

80 ft LPG set !

Best of both worlds !

Bill

Leave the handle end of the lines sleeved ready for equalization and leave the kite end sleevless !

I have just used this method to make up a couple of sets at 30 ft and 47 ft from a standard supplied

80 ft LPG set !

Best of both worlds !

Bill

Remember that if you do this, to make your kite end loops long enough to tie in some pull tags also!! Makes taking down a lot easier!!

Tried out my new Polo VTD on my new 50 footers in some great and gusty winds today, 28 kmh (18mph). Kite was great, and I am really digging these short line sets. Gives a real sense of connection to the kite. Big thumbs up from me!<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My demo short set is 60+ feet. I practice on longer sets and when necessary to show-off and look good I'll go back to this demo size. I throw and catch on 75 feet routinely during practice sessions in no wind. I can catch 120s in the right conditions and 90 feet on the Zen is very reasonable/reliable expectation.

Don't just learn the catch from directly overhead either. Fly it up to about 2/3rds or 3/4s of the wind window and then do a strong yank on the top lines (as the kite is moving forward). You want the kite to arc upwards, apex and then glide down thru the wind's direction and to your outstretched hand.

A long distance throw require big movements with your whole body. You need to run with the kite a couple of steps (acceleration builds up free momentum) like you were pitching a javelin. I'm left handed, so I pitch towards the opposite corner, the right edge of the window for me. After releasing the kite you have both handles in one hand already, just press your thumb forward and the kite will paste itself inverted at the end of the lines. Since I use magic sticks on the back, if my efforts wind-up short of the line's overall length the kite just waits on the ground for me to walk the slack out backwards. Sticks allow you to be aggressive with learning techniques, dare I say sloppy too? At least you don't have to do the walk of shame. The public thinks you meant to have it fall short!

I flew a couple of years ago at Liberty State Park (NJ kite competition) on 120s and the catch at the end of my routine WOULD not come down to the ground at all! It floated along for so much time that conversations stopped and folks stood up on the sidelines to see what would happen next. That was a set of near perfect conditions, nothing to do with the flier at all. You just had to put it into the proper position and the wind did everything else! That glide could have been timed with a sundial.

I've probably worked on these techniques for the better part of a decade. It's hard on your equipment but really separates you from the masses. No other sport kite design I'm aware of can do these tricks so effortlessly.

Shorter length line sets turn any Rev kite into a flailer's dream! They also let you walk around in a crowd and annoy folks who aren't paying attention to their surroundings <LOL!>

• Like 1

Great stories dude.

I have been doing the catch from a few different positions. I find it easier from 3/4.

Also, some times the lack of wind does not let the kite get that high anyway.

I've only been doing the catch and toss for a week or so.

I think I have made some great progress with it.

The run-up is a great idea, I will try that out.

What are Magic sticks?

That super long glide sounds awesome.

Great stories dude.<br /> <br />I have been doing the catch from a few different positions. I find it easier from 3/4.<br />Also, some times the lack of wind does not let the kite get that high anyway.<br /> <br />I've only been doing the catch and toss for a week or so.<br />I think I have made some great progress with it.<br />The run-up is a great idea, I will try that out.<br /> <br />What are Magic sticks?<br /> <br />That super long glide sounds awesome.
Try also "sissy sticks". <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REV 1.5 Magix Stick.pdfFrench Bridle 1.5.pdf

Sissy (or "magic sticks" depending on your perspective) is a set of skinny reinforcing tubes and lines attached to the back of the kite. The structure stiffens the frame overall, improves the glide pattern and allows you to have the kite fall out of the sky to the ground and still recover to fly away effortlessly.

Like everything else, it's a personal preference! You can now buy your own pre-made and ready to install, or you can make your own sticks up as a do it yourself project.

Flying Smiles Kites sells the sticks for most any rev model, but call 'em first and discuss your objectives. For the 1point5 sized sails they offer sticks in two different sizes 12s or 16s). I prefer the 16 inch model as it allows the kite to be rolled-up into the string upon landing and an un-rolling take-off. No way you can do these two techniques/tricks without the magic sticks in place! With the sticks installed you can frame your kite lighter overall and still survive a big gust too.

I laughed at folks using "sissy sticks" for the first 7 years of Rev flying, since then all my kites sport this feature, even the indoor models! Try-out a set and give it a decent amount of testing time before you form your opinion. Trust no one else,... prove to yourself whether they are a crutch or a cure for all!

You can also try out a french bridle for a new flight experience too, it's not better just different!

• Like 1