Barresi fabric?

audiorob

Question

16 answers to this question

However, the rumor mill says that we may see a premium-level Icarex B-Series hitting the market next year.

You can call it the Master-Beast, :lol:

OK I need to go fly, so much for my day away from flying :huh: I'll be here all afternoon making comments.

Perhaps Ben could comment. I can tell you when we had our custom sails made, Lolly confirmed that the only material rev uses was 0.65 Poly from a manufacturer in Torrance CA. So that is what we have. I would assume it was the same material.

Thanks,

Mark.

An icarex polycarbonate sail is the most desirable for tough conditions, it would be a welcomed addition to the Revolution line.

A polyester kite much more enjoyable is wet conditions, they don't gain any weight (like nylon) also the color lasts a lot longer before fading. All kites will fade with enough passage of time and exposure to UV though!

Icarex has a very distinctive feel to it, extremely slippery to sew with and it also costs the most to acquire. In the land of no wind we say it's worth the extra money and trouble.

The Rainbow material is toray (available from Bonnie Marvin/Hang'Em High Fabrics in richmond VA)

Icarex is a specific brand name, it's not available from bonnie by that name (wink!-wink!).

Her material is called poly 1/2 ounce with a polycarbonate coating (wink!, wink!)

Stever Ferrel (Kitestudio) also sells a poly material,... Harold uses it for his tie-dyed efforts. I think it's 3/4 ounces per square yard/meter.

Ixy is like 14 dollars per yard, nylon is about 6 bucks.

A bus will get you downtown, how come they can still sell somebody a Mercedes Benz?

You get what you pay for, that's why!!!

Some designers prefer to work in Nylon, there are more colors and weights available, it's cheaper too, it can be painted without need of a pressure cooker to "set the dyes" also.

The Rev 1.5 SULs are polyester, not icarex but perfectly acceptable to any user. If you were doing it yourself you'd be wise to seek out Icarex. It's the same amount of construction work, but the end product will fly better and look better for much longer. Particularly important in no wind conditions!

Is there much difference between Icarex and what Rev is using? I built a few kites with Icarex back about 10-12 years ago, both 3/4oz and 1/2oz, and the current Rev fabric seems pretty similar to the 1/2oz Icarex when I compare the fabric side-to-side.

I will also note that my custom 1.5 SUL (just received from Rev) uses the same 1/2oz fabric as the custom vented 1.5 I received last fall. Rev doesn't seem to be using heavier fabric even on the higher-wind 1.5s. No mylar on either per my request.

Finally, I note that Rev seems a bit casual aligning the fabric. On some panels, on one side of the kite the warp threads are aligned along the edge (good) whereas on the other side the weft threads are aligned along the edge. I don't know if it matters with the loads on a 1.5, but I wouldn't do that if I was building it myself due to possible asymmetric stretching.

--Lee