Wildwood Int'l Kite Festival '09

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

start practicing your inverted back-ups to the top of the window. Paul Dugard was lightning fast last year. Is there no one that can challenge him?

Jeff King will be pleased to run another round of REV games (he's the REV-fur-ee). Hopefully this year we can use a properly tuned kite though? <LOL>

Here's a new game to try. You'll need a safety cone. A short and "easy to knock-over" model.

You'll bump it over with the furnished 1.5 kite,

then drive the leading edge into the larger cone opening and balance the cone upside-down (against a stop watch) with the kite sticking out of the bottom of the safety cone (which is now upside-down and sticking into the beach).

This is easier with the leading edge inverted and a quick side-slide into the opening/base of the cone. I hope you knocked the cone over so it's facing left or right and not Downwind/upwind. Otherwise you'll waste some more seconds rotating the cone.

Hey everyone,

Below please find the email that I recently sent to all RD's and the local east coast clubs . . .

Hi there all R.D’s,

For those of you whom I’ve not had the pleasure of meeting, please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Beatrix Pelton with Sky Festival Productions. For those of you I do know, hello dear friends!

I thought it might be a nice idea to reach out to the kiting community as a whole re the upcoming Wildwoods Int’l Kite Festival (WIKF) which as some of you know, takes place annually on Memorial Day Weekend in Wildwood, NJ. 2009 marks our 24th year, held over four days with this year’s dates being Fri, May 22 – Mon, May 25.

One of my continuous goals is trying to find ways to get new folks involved in kiting and to meet new kite flyers. I also believe it’s important to give back. It is in this spirit that I am moving forward with a campaign for this years WIKF. I am reaching out to each of you as you obviously have a broader, more global impact in ways to reach folks than I do, aside from posting on the varied forums.

Attached please find a document which I would very much appreciate you forwarding to your regional members, clubs, commissioners for sport kite, etc. This year I would like to try something new and give back a bit with the opportunity for folks to attend the festival by completing a FREE raffle for FREE lodging, compliments of Sky Festival Productions. As you will see, the lodging will be at our host hotel and is for three consecutive nights for two people (additional evenings would be at the winner’s discretion and is at the rate of US $65.00 per night, non inclusive of tax). Folks would have to find their own way to the event though their lodging will be complimentary.

We are very excited about the event as a whole and am even more excited about extending this opportunity – with the economy in the state that it is in, I truly believe a little giving goes a long way. Perhaps winning this raffle will make or break someone’s decision to attend an event this year and bring a smile to someone who is in much need of some down-time, in such tumultuous times.

If you have any queries or comments, please feel free to contact me. My best form of communication is email though I am always available via mobile at 732 822 4884. While I believe I have included all of the regions, if I’ve overlooked someone kindly accept my apologies and please feel free to forward this email.

Sincere thanks in advance for your assistance, I look forward to the opportunity of one day meeting those of you who I haven’t yet met!

Warm regards,

Beatrix

So, take a shot here folks, SOMEBODY's going to win it - it might as well be YOU!!! :-)

WIKF_09_Lodging_Raffle.pdf

Well, I reserved my room. They didn't have any rooms left for only $248 so I had to pay $350 :( I want to know who are all the people who took the $248 rooms! Anyway, I might be looking for a roommate to share the cost if my boyfriend doesn't come down. I can't wait! Now I just need to figure out how I can afford MIKE in April. YIKES!

Well, I reserved my room. They didn't have any rooms left for only $248 so I had to pay $350 :( I want to know who are all the people who took the $248 rooms! Anyway, I might be looking for a roommate to share the cost if my boyfriend doesn't come down. I can't wait! Now I just need to figure out how I can afford MIKE in April. YIKES!

Really?! Argh! :angry: They never returned my phonecalls.

Really?! Argh! :angry: They never returned my phonecalls.

Hey guys,

Give the Oceanic a day or two to return calls, make sure you speak clearly & slowly and let them know when the best time is for them to reach you - they are not on the property in the off season. Just in case, their # is 609 522 6500 and don't forget, there's always the overflow hotel I mentioned with less expensive rates and the option of a 2 night minimum!

Warmly,

Beatrix

Please post some info as to how and where to sign up to enter competitions. I'm new around here and from my point of view the world of kite comps looks like a secret society. I know that's not the idea, but where is the info I'm missing.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

No worries, check out this link with all of the Wildwoods Int'l Kite Festival info to date . . . http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2276

Warmly,

Beatrix

Beatrix,

Thanks, but that link is useless. I already have all that info from that source. That's how I found you.

So far we have the dates, the location, the hotel(s), the room raffel, and a list of activities.

"Please post some info as to how and where to sign up to enter competitions" I'm not trying to be a jerk. You are the contact for this event and I have trouble believing I'm the only would-be competitor who won't-be if somebody doesn't start making this info part of the basic calendar listings for events.

Thanks again,

Scott

I emailed Marc. I'm sure when he gets a chance he will let us know what info is available. I will certainly post it here for all to see.

Here's Marc's answer and here's the link to The Eastern League Sport Kite Association...thanks to Marc for getting back to me so quickly

http://www.easternleague.net/

Scott,

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I haven't received any of that information from Beatrix either, although in all fairness, she's not required to post that information until 30 days before the event. From past experience, she's usually well earlier than that 30-day mark, so I expect to see a registration form from her within the next month.

I can tell you from past experience that the indoor competition is usually held on Monday, with the sport kite competition spread out between Saturday and Sunday.

Is the indoor comp the only one you're planning on entering? Indoor's not my forte, and it's not an Eastern League discipline, but Paul should be able to answer any general questions about that. If you have any questions about the outdoor competition, I can definitely answer those. If you fly multi-line, then I would definitely encourage you to compete in the outdoor multi-line ballet and precision as well.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, I'll be glad to answer what I can and/or forward you to the right folks.

Thanks,

Marc

Hi Scott,

No worries, check out this link with all of the Wildwoods Int'l Kite Festival info to date . . . http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2276

Warmly,

Beatrix

Beatrix,

Thanks, but that link is useless. I already have all that info from that source. That's how I found you.

So far we have the dates, the location, the hotel(s), the room raffel, and a list of activities.

"Please post some info as to how and where to sign up to enter competitions" I'm not trying to be a jerk. You are the contact for this event and I have trouble believing I'm the only would-be competitor who won't-be if somebody doesn't start making this info part of the basic calendar listings for events.

Thanks again,

Scott

Hi Scott,

No worries, the registration form will be completed and posted this upcoming week and of course, I'll post it on this forum - hold tight, there's a lot to put together!

Warmly,

Beatrix

Hi Scott,

No worries, the registration form will be completed and posted this upcoming week and of course, I'll post it on this forum - hold tight, there's a lot to put together!

Warmly,

Beatrix

Beatrix,

I know there is a lot to do. Thanks for all of it by the way.

My problem here was not with you. My frustration lies with there being a widespread expectation that everybody knows how to enter a competition. I'm sure I'm wrong, but I have never seen for example: a link to the Eastern League Sport Kite Association on an event calendar listing. (that's why I posted the link on this thread after I found it). It does not, by the way, come up in a google search. I found it on a link page that came up on my search. Through the back door you might say.

Another point of confusion is: Who ultimately sanctions an indoor competition?

Also: How big is the flying area for indoor comps?

Thanks again, and I hope all this just makes everybody realize how excited I am about going to WW.

Hi folks,

Please note, the registration form for the 2009 Wildwoods International Kite Festival has been completed and is available! I've tried posting the .pdf on this forum though for some reason it's not uploading (yes, the file size is acceptable). I have sent the form out to all of the east coast clubs that I'm aware of so if you're on one of those lists, PLEASE check there first. If you're not on one of those lists, let me know and I'll email the file directly. You may email me at [email protected].

For those of you who participate in sport kite competition, please note that individual registration has decreased by 33%, pairs has decreased by 25%!

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me, I look forward to seeing all of you there!

Warm regards,

Beatrix

Hi everyone,

In the event you missed this on the registration form, here's a new event taking place at the Wildwoods Int'l Kite Festival this year – let your creative juices flow, get out those sewing machines and get ready to rumble!!!

NEW this year, the Scott E. Spencer Memorial Wildwood Kitemakers Competition, sponsored by the South Jersey Kite Flyers!

Competition will be in three categories: Judges' Choice, Kitemakers' Choice and Novice. All entries will be flown together at the designated time. All judges and kitemakers will walk from kite to kite together, with each kitemaker being given a short time to discuss their kite and reel it in to show off any special parts (the idea is for kitemakers to learn from each other). After all kites have been seen, the judges will choose a winner for Judges' Choice and the competitors will vote for Kitemaker's Choice.

Each 1st place winner of the judges' Choice and Kitemakers' Choice will receive a $100 cash prize. The top Novice Kitemaker wins memberships in both the AKA and SJKF. All prizes are sponsored by SJKF!

All kites must be handmade by the entrant. No proxies. Multiple entries are permitted for one entry fee. Please note that our definition of novice is anyone making kites for three years or less who has not won an award at any other competition in a previous year.

See you all soon!

Warmly,

Beatrix

Hi folks,

Well, without further adieu, please note that the Sky Festival Productions web site is now live!

Note: there are three videos on the Press page, please give them a moment to load; also, the WIKF reg form is here as well.

Please visit us at www.SkyFestivals.com and sincere thanks to all of you for your interest and support!

Warmly,

Beatrix

Hello all my kids chipped in and got me 3 days at the oceanic hotel for my birth day.

Looks like i will be going

My son Tim attended last years event with his girl friend and me Tim and my daughter Abby also went to liberty st park.

We were at the park when Ant's car broke down.

Need to see Brad for exp bridals. But can bring a few b,s to fly

See you their Reggie.