Progressive Stack: Funsized

Choccy

Thanks to a few flyers donating funsized quadkites to me this year, I sort of started collecting them.

Not sure why they think I had problems with being dragged around the field.... ;)

Anyway I've started to make my own progressive stack 'funsized' just for fun.

31" (Violet was supposed to be 32" but shrunk) :blushing:

34" 'Little Choc'

36" 'Pur'

Choccy,

The sticks need to be cut-down, more flush with the sail, so the connecting lines don't get snagged up in flight.

I have three stacks of baby ryv kites and a few hours of experience.

A bridle may help to smooth out some of the stack's ultra twitchyness also.

Fly the back kite! (keep repeating this phrase to yourself, as the stack gets longer)

The smallest kite goes in the front on a progressive stack

The little buggers are going to be so much fun,

thanks for sharing with us

and happy holidays

well here is a bridled ryv kite for you choccy if you want an idea on how its done.. revflier everytime i fly this thing i love it more and more .. thank you again..it is a little tricky to mnake a bridle for this kite.. i had to make a few throe aways before i got it right..the bridle does make it much eazier to fly espically in a heavy wind

post-87-1229693660_thumb.jpg

man that thing is gonna be a fast one

that's what makes it soooooo fun :)

Thanks for your rainbow mini quad pic with bridle detail.

I shall try this set up if my current bridle doesn't work.

I suppose I could always add tails to slow them down, what a tangle that would be :blink:

@Revflyer PM inbound :blush:

well here is a bridled ryv kite for you choccy if you want an idea on how its done.. revflier everytime i fly this thing i love it more and more .. thank you again..it is a little tricky to mnake a bridle for this kite.. i had to make a few throe aways before i got it right..the bridle does make it much eazier to fly espically in a heavy wind

Antman, how did you get my kite?

gallery_2088_122_2935.jpg

here's an old picture from Harold's development stage on a stack of minis

We were experimenting with stress, so tie two stack together and see what happens.

We learned to insert a point 125 carbon tube INSIDE the 2 ply SkyShark tubes (42 inches long) on the first few kites.

post-92-1229954767_thumb.jpg

cool pic... and stack... are these made with a LE mesh ?

:)

nope, no venting.

None needed on kite that is this size in my humble opinion, . . ....

how easy would it be to "dump all the air" with a quick flick of the thumb?

The kite shape started out as a reduction in size from Kitesquid's 1point6 design, created back in '99 for the smithsonian kite festival.

(imagine the indoor Rev, but with the flight dynamics of a stock 1.5)

The entire sail is one piece of fabric (icarex if possible) done as a "no-sew" assembly with 3M's 9460 hi-bond adhesive.

There are soft rubber Apa fittings on the all corners (to absorb some shock from fast impacts).

His stacks also featured a set of free-floating train lines that pass-through the stack and affix directly to the bridle tie-down locations, not end-caps. Each kite is tied onto the master line independently, as opposed to the kite in front. (a great concept with superb implementation!)

The kites are built upon a skyshark 2 ply frame as a 42 inch leading edge (SS spine) and tapered 2P down-spars (using only the skinniest ends of the tubes).

Harold had the shipyards fabricate a piece of 1/2 inch thick aluminum sheeting as his sail template, (we swear it was orbital-based laser sheared by the starwars program too!)

In a bigger wind (stock they fly controllably inverted in zero-wind w/a walking pace 360!) we learned to insert a point 125 carbon tube inside the leading edge to reinforce it. This tube is cut a 1/4 inch longer, so you can easily push it out, when conditions return to the normal scene around our homes.

The only problem with the stack is it's a pain to set-up and put away.

Also transporting them, it is outrageous, . . . 'cause nothing breaks-down.

Lastly, a significant design flaw in hindsight, the sails were tensioned with oh-rings instead of bungie. It was a stage our club went thru,.... enough said!

That means no knots to snag or tangle, but alas these things aren't designed for expansion/elasticity as used either. Oh-rings are designed for a compression application, like the washer in the hose/faucet joint. So the darn things get dry-rotted and need to be replaced. I'm L-A-Z-Y and haven't gotten around to that long drawn-out mission just yet! It needs to be done, but transporting the stacks is handled in a big ole hard-sided, double sized golf bag carrier by SKB. It fills whatever space is available, such a hassle despite wheels!, even in my own home. The darn things take up more room than half a dozen kids would need!!!!

The fun of these things is beyond description though, that is their only saving grace. But who's going to pay full price for such a mini-rig?, Lolly and the factory weren't interested even when offered the template and bridle board as well as a sample kite. No market out there, so you've gotta' do it yourself Choccy.

I swore to my bride back in 2000, that if she allowed my to acquire two stacks, I'd never need another kite EVER again! They are not for sale naturally, only available on a long-term, non refundable security deposit, since Kitesquid could not store them all in his humble residence. (his own personal set does have a very impressive carrier, it's made of corrugated plastic and covered with fabric from his grand-mother's sofa ~ I am deadly serious!)

Anyway, he hangs out at the forum for builders, if you want any specific questions answered, that I can't help you with personally.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/index.php

I only created the bridle. Several other members in our club also spent an entire summer assisting Harold with testing, offering him feedback and just beatin' 'em to see what they'd take before destruction. getting these mini-ryvs through testing and still having them be durable enough for an experienced rev flier to have a lesson provided us with so much knowledge. In a mini-kite everything is magnified, the smallest error becomes huge when working thru a stack.

I've asked the big-fella several times about repairing my/his stacks. Mine are alternating solid Black & Rainbow sails, at least six of each of 'em. One of them alone is a quaylude and 6 pack,... you just can't get your mind around how fast the darn thing is, it's like being severely intoxicated on an icy road.

We called flying them gracefully the final exam for a Ph.D. in quad-line.

When you're ready Choccy, we want to see some video of your mini-Revs in action!

-paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...