Vented Revs, with UL frames...

KiteLife

Anyone ever tried this?

Point of note, most of the top competitive Rev pilots in North America use vented Revs with UL frames until the winds are high enough to require a change of frame... Something about the venting makes it fly SO SWEET, and with a UL frame you can often take it down to 5-6 mph.

Go try it, and tell us what YOU think!

Vented revs are SWEEEEET!

I just spent a week at the NC coast with a minimum of 6 hours a day of flying. Winds on the light days were 5 - 10 mph and on the heavy days 15 - 25. Kites of choice were a vented 1.5 SLE with 3 frames from 2 wrap to to the SLE. Also, I had ordered and picked up from Kites Unlimited, the vented Rev 1 Sedgewick. This was flown with the SLE in the heavier winds and with a 3 wrap frame in the lighter winds. I have a 2 wrap frame on order. These kites give the most control of anything I have ever flown.

Stability and control are so precise that I was able to do inverted hovers 6" above the water, rising and falling with the wave motion and surfing above the incoming swells and waves.

Slow controlled turns and reverse flight also are better with the venteds.

I also think that the added skills and confidence gained from flying the venteds has aided my abilities with the non-vented versions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kip/John,

2 wrap and 3 wrap frames. Would the LE and Verticals be the same?

Do they require different end caps? Rod specific?

Did you get them direct thru Rev..

I'd like to give it a try on a 1.5 V.

Thanks for help.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I fly my 1.5 vented with mix and match on the LE and Vert. The vert.s seem to take little stress so except for high winds I use the two wrap most of the time, switching up to the 3 wraps as it gets windier (10 - 12).

On the LE I'll use the 2 wraps up to about 8 - 10, 3 wraps from 8 - 15, and 4 wrap or SLE from 10 and up. With the 2 wrap I can get down in the 5 mph range (if its good and steady wind).

The SLE end cap fits right over the small diameter LE rods, and inside the SLE rod, so there is no need to change the end caps when swapping rods.

I play with all kinds of variations... All 4 wrap, all 3 wrap, all 2 wrap... Sometimes 3 wrap center LE and 2 wrap on the rest, if winds are gusty and I don't want to break a center... I've even done 4 center LE, 3 outer LE and 2 verticals on occasion.

As for where to get these rods, it's generally best to have your local shop order them... Just make sure they know EXACTLY what you need, as it's not uncommon for shops to use the wrong terminology or not specify clearly.

Example, a SUL Rev frame is marked "Professional Use Only"... Yada yada yada... For a complete reference to how rods are labeled, look here:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14

• 2 months later...

I'm very excited... I ordered a sonic vented a few weeks ago and should have it on Thursday. Lolly did up a custom color job for me and I'm dying to see how it turned out.

I orderd it with a 3 wrap frame... so according to what I was told, I should be able to fly it in the 8+ mph range...

If anyone has any advice on the wid range for a 3 wrap, please let me know... the last thing I want to do is bust it up...lol..

Should I order a set of 4 wrap rods for it? I'm in Chicago and 95% of the time, the wind is below 15mph...

I don't see many people talking about this kite... any thoughts?

I have a Sonic Vented but haven't flown it with anything other than the standard frame.

What amazes me is the control that you can have with this kite, even with the winds 20+ mph.  Two of us were flying at the beach with the winds about 30, and had a ball!  Chasing each other around; hovering together, etc.  The next day a couple came up to me on the almost deserted (it was January) beach and told me how "awesome" the kite was.  They had been watching from the leeward side of a dune.

However, when the winds dropped to around 10, it was time to pull out another kite because all the control was gone!!!

Later, Doug

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Today was only the second time time out with my new 1.5 ventd and I took your advice about "vented Revs with UL frames".

I took the ultra frame from my regular 1.5 and swapped it out. Wow!!! How sweet it is. :D:D I guess I should buy another set of ul frames so I can have both kites set up when I hit the beach. I was suprised how different the 2 kites fly and even more suprised how great the vented flew with the ul frame.

The SLU sounds nice. I am thinking about selling my Blast and getting a SLU that would give me a 1.5 for every wind.

I think 1.5s: SLU a SLE and a vented would be a perfect bag. Yep, that would do me for this year anyway.

I think 1.5s: SLU a SLE and a vented would be a perfect bag. Yep, that would do me for this year anyway.

I look on the "perfect size" bag as :

1 Standard sail, 1 Vented

1 2/3/4 wrap framesets

and thats pretty muhc all you'd need for any wind.

of course, I tend to haul a few more around than that.

;)