First real session with my new Rev.

FlyingFrog

Question

Well guys, some of you might have read the post I put up about line set up yesterday with my new Rev "B" Series. As suspected the problem was down to trying to fly in very low winds. I have been out and managed an hour and a half this morning before the clouds opened up. The winds were gusting from about 10 MPH to 20 MPH so I treid setting the "forward" lines on one of the middle knots after fitting the 3 wrap rods. This setting only necessitated one small change on the "forward" lines to reduce the power slightly. The kite flew like a dream! I have managed reasonable hovers, forward and reverse flights, side slides, reverse landings and launches, controlled spins tip stands, tip launches and controlled inverted flying. None of these manouvers are perfect by any manner or means, but on the whole I am delighted with the progress that I have managed in such a short time. Much of this has to be put down to the manouverability and quality of the Revolution B Series Kite, so now it looks like my Delta Stunt Kites might find themselves going into "hibernation". I would just like to finish by saying Thank You All for the help and advice you all gave me on the choice of kite!

15 answers to this question

Well guys, some of you might have read the post I put up about line set up yesterday with my new Rev "B" Series. As suspected the problem was down to trying to fly in very low winds. I have been out and managed an hour and a half this morning before the clouds opened up. The winds were gusting from about 10 MPH to 20 MPH so I treid setting the "forward" lines on one of the middle knots after fitting the 3 wrap rods. This setting only necessitated one small change on the "forward" lines to reduce the power slightly. The kite flew like a dream! I have managed reasonable hovers, forward and reverse flights, side slides, reverse landings and launches, controlled spins tip stands, tip launches and controlled inverted flying. None of these manouvers are perfect by any manner or means, but on the whole I am delighted with the progress that I have managed in such a short time. Much of this has to be put down to the manouverability and quality of the Revolution B Series Kite, so now it looks like my Delta Stunt Kites might find themselves going into "hibernation". I would just like to finish by saying Thank You All for the help and advice you all gave me on the choice of kite!

Wow ... good session then ... well done, sounds like your well on the way to Rev nirvana :)

Its really interesting how all the new flyers posting on here lately are so much more aware of handle adjustments ..... another benefit of going the 'B' route and listening to all the good advice that's available on here

Welcome to the addicted world of Revolution kites.

Keep up the good work and do lots of practicing.

Try using 120' lines which gives you plenty of time to hone your skills.

With lines this long, you can get out of a problem easier as you have more time to react.

It's a great sport and there are lots of really nice flyers out there, but we need more women out

there to give us competition and companionship. :kid_smartass:

I have to say I disagree with Jim. Stick with the shorter lines, at least for a while. True, you have more room in the sky on longer lines, and I know at least one top flier who says he didn’t really start to progress until he moved up to 120’s. But shorter lines, (I think you said you bought 80ft), will sharpen your reactions and help you hone your control. Oh, and it also takes 2 x 40ft out of the walk of shame if you crash.

When you feel confident to stand beside another Rev flyer and chat whilst flying in the same space with only half an eye on your kite, then it is the time to start looking for 120’s.

Well guys, now I've had loads of time to "play" with my new Rev I decided that it was time to settle down to some "serious flying". The winds this evening were quite light, about 5 - 7 mph and there was no rain expected (surprise, surprise), so I set the kite up with the 2 wrap rods and the "forward lines" on the 2nd back knot from the handles to allow the extra lift. This setting turned up trumps!

I managed to get the kite to lift off gracefully without having to pull on the handles, just easing the thumbs back was all that was needed. With just the very light winds reverse flight was quite easy, as was sliding both verticle and diagonally in relatively straight lines. I managed a few manouvers that I hadn't done before and even managed to bring the kite down at full speed vertically and stop it just a foot from the ground, something that I would not try before due to lack of confidence. The biggest improvement of all was that there were no crashes and no "walks of shame". I have to say that I am finding this Revolution B Series of mine to be the most "manouverable" and impressive kite that I have had the pleasure to fly. Unfortunately my Delta kites now remain in the motor whenever I go out to fly (which is as often as time, the wife and the weather allows me to). There is still a lot of room for improvement but on the whole I am very pleased with my progress, and the wife says that it is a pleasure to watch!

P.S. I understand what Jim is saying about the longer lines but for now I think I will stick with the 80 foot lines.

OK, so now the REAL question.

When you going to buy another one?

Maybe a Vented B for those gusty or high wind Days.

Or of course a nice Sedgwick Rev 1 for those nice relaxed laid back Days.

Or a Rev 2 when the winds are higher and you want a bit of speed.

Then of course talking about speed, there are al the speeeeed series.

Then if you want a bit of POWER a 2 4 or even a 4 8.

Then you will be getting a buggy again. Hang on, is'nt that where this all started??

OK, so now the REAL question.

When you going to buy another one?

Maybe a Vented B for those gusty or high wind Days.

Or of course a nice Sedgwick Rev 1 for those nice relaxed laid back Days.

Or a Rev 2 when the winds are higher and you want a bit of speed.

Then of course talking about speed, there are al the speeeeed series.

Then if you want a bit of POWER a 2 4 or even a 4 8.

Then you will be getting a buggy again. Hang on, is'nt that where this all started??

Hey mate, If my wife sees this post your life is in danger! She found it hard to understand how a grown man could pay so much for a "toy to play with". If I start thinking about buying another Rev my life could be under threat as well, so I'll stick with what I have for now, I can't afford a divorce (or even worse)!

As for going for power, speed and a buggy, no thanks, I still have to take too many pain killers from my last buggying accident.

On a serious note, I will not be thinking about another Rev for quite a while yet, I still have a lot to master with the B Series.

There you go FF, don't buy a Rev, get the DVD. Your wife will be SO blown away by the fact that flying Revs keeps you as fit as JB that she will go out and buy you some more.

On a more serious note, you are right stick with what you have at the moment. Maybe get another line set if you feel the need.

Best advice is find A.N Other to fly with. I have only flown with other Rev fliers a few times, it is SO much FUN and you learn much quicker. you will also get the chance to try out other Revs if you want to. I am so glad you changed your mind and went with the B, much more flexible package.

Best of luck, and believe me I know what it is like to live with pain killers, only been on them for about 12 Years now.

Whatever it takes to get you through the Day.

Ok heres a thought, My Rev is OLLLLD. I need a new one and was just thinking to another post, and while I'm hooked it's not sinker and all. So when is someone going to donate a B Series in community service to me???? :kid_brooding: All ya'all that are over 50 Rev's in a bag could spare a GOOD Rev with some Race Rods. Come on now. ROFL

I know ya'all got'em

Dean :kid_brooding:

And BTW, Watty said Cookies and Milk. When do I get those BTW????

I'm not your father, but can be your distant cousin if you help my cause. I'm funny sometimes if that helps ya.