Underwater flying: how is it possible?

alnegri

You need an off-shore wind. Fly your kite into the water then lean against the handles, a gentle continuous pull if you like combined with steps back, and you can move it round in the water almost exactly as if it is flying in the air. I suggest you start off with just dipping the trailing edge in first and then taking off again. Then you can move onto putting a wing tip into the water, then a whole half a kite. Before you know where you are you will be diving leading edge first into the water, turning the kite round under water then taking off again! I suspect Axels under water are not possible though ;);)

Remember hydrodynamics and aerodynamics are pretty much the same thing. Its just that water is massively more dense than air, so you need to be gentle with the pulling - sometimes it looks like your leading edge is bent double, the power from the water is so great.

Try it - it is fantastic.

Waves can go a different way to the wind. They are the left overs from waves generated far out to sea where the wind can be blowing from a different direction. If you think about it I bet you have never seen waves rolling away from a beach, even if the wind is blowing that way.

• 3 months later...
Only if spectators can watch from a submarine :P

lol Spence, not only ~. There are lots of underwater viewing spots in the world. :) Aquariums by the bays, etc.

Come on.. if we can dream it.. we can do it.. (Or someone else)

See you at Whidby Island?

BB Penny ~who thinks Deany (sp) should fly your kite, but she's afraid she'll break it.

No, I won't be at Whidby, but I will probably be at Camas.

I still need to get her out more with it. It's spelled Deanie (Her real name is Deraldine, but I didn't know that until I was 12.)

Any way.............. Maybe we could get iQuad to do a under water team ballet or something. that would be kewl.

No, I won't be at Whidby, but I will probably be at Camas.

I still need to get her out more with it. It's spelled Deanie (Her real name is Deraldine, but I didn't know that until I was 12.)

Any way.............. Maybe we could get iQuad to do a under water team ballet or something. that would be kewl.

watty, is that your grandma that you are talking about? i heard from Wen (quoting you)

but did not get to meet her.

as for the "underwater flying"

i thought about the kite hanging from the ceiling back home in Taiwan.

it is designed by a German designer Kisa who actually flew the kite under the water

and i remember she presented the video clip of many kiters /divers flew the kites

the theory being the water and air work the roughly the same way but thicker, slower.

i don't have the picture of that kite with me. It is quite beautiful like a jelly fish with bubbles or something.

Sailor I like the way you explain things even I can figure it out you are a huge help, think I'll keep you as

a mate....... Sure do miss you guys the French in Paris have no sense of humor that I've been able to find,

hmmmm perhaps it's my magnetic personality or maybe the way I dance around with the kite in the middle

of the street..... Oh well makinf friends where ever I go..... :kid_devlish: :kid_devlish: Ben

link from Thomas and kisa's art kites, wind art / Phoenix kite gallry,

you can find kitediving/scubkiting pictures and performances

about under water kite flying

http://subvision.net/sky/events/libanon/2002elements.htm

http://www.drachenmanufaktur.com/gallery/v...-art/scubakite/

so far i had not seen a quad scuba -kiting so dream on....

the kite i have was"scubadoo"

Yes it is my g-ma we were talking about. She was the one cheering really loudly at the indoor. ;)

That's a cool web site. All the kites look like weird fish.

watty, is that your grandma that you are talking about? i heard from Wen (quoting you)

but did not get to meet her.

as for the "underwater flying"

i thought about the kite hanging from the ceiling back home in Taiwan.

it is designed by a German designer Kisa who actually flew the kite under the water

and i remember she presented the video clip of many kiters /divers flew the kites

the theory being the water and air work the roughly the same way but thicker, slower.

i don't have the picture of that kite with me. It is quite beautiful like a jelly fish with bubbles or something.

Yes it is my g-ma we were talking about. She was the one cheering really loudly at the indoor. ;)

That's a cool web site. All the kites look like weird fish.

ah, cheers, she is not alone, Mary (related to John F) does too.

and outdoor, i think Jim Landers also has a cheering squad.

I think it is great that family come together for such an art/sport.

Wen's g-ma saw him at the Uchinada International Kite Festival in May to

know what her grandson is into.

about the kites underwater look like weird fish--- what do you think

about those octopuses, sharks and menta rays hanging in the air?

just for fun.

...... Sure do miss you guys the French in Paris have no sense of humor that I've been able to find,

hmmmm perhaps it's my magnetic personality or maybe the way I dance around with the kite in the middle

of the street..... Oh well makinf friends where ever I go..... :kid_devlish: :kid_devlish: Ben

Ben this reminded me of the way I watched you clear a space with your Eyes kite in front of the retailers at Portsmouth. A flame thrower would have been a less effective choice of weapon ;) Love your style sir :):clap;

lol Yes, Spence, consider your self lucky. Rhonda Brewer and Lindsey were upset because at the Lincoln City Indoor show there was a woman in the audience holloring "Shake it Penny".. they thought, this is a family show. Then they found out it was my mom. She's probably the one who got my hips going though. lol

Kewl pictures of the underwater...

uh, sailor.. lol that would be me. :)

BB Penny ~who's seen Rodger Maddy fly his 12 string totally under water in almost no wind and fly it out..

link from Thomas and kisa's art kites, wind art / Phoenix kite gallry,

you can find kitediving/scubkiting pictures and performances

about under water kite flying

http://subvision.net/sky/events/libanon/2002elements.htm

http://www.drachenmanufaktur.com/gallery/v...-art/scubakite/

so far i had not seen a quad scuba -kiting so dream on....

the kite i have was"scubadoo"

Those are stunningly beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing. :kid_content: