Supersonic Questions

KiteManFL

Question

Anyone with experience flying the Supersonic, I would appreciate some feedback.

> What sizes handles are best?

> What test line is best 90lb or 150lb?

> How long should the line be?

> For a standard sail - what is the best wind range?

Thank you for your input.

20 answers to this question

11" handles. The shorter handles don't magnify the inputs as much. Reduces over controlling.

Up to about 10mph you could get away with #90 but you would want #150 above that.

I only have an 80' set of #150 and I've found that to be a great length. Heard of some pilots using 100' and even 120'.

Wind range is going to be down to personal preference and mood. At 20mph it can get a little, ummm, hairy. Most fun on mine was in #90 x 50' in 10mph. Fly to the top of the window then pull the top lines as for a catch and throw. Then watch as it gracefully flies out to load up again. Magic.

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback. I was told that over 80 feet that it is more difficult to fly. Has that been your experience. I do not have the kite yet. I have 90# 120' line and 150# 85' lines. Sounds like that is all I need. Do you agree?

The Sonic can have some pretty good pull to it, especially when it loads up and is in the stronger winds (above 8mph). I wouldn't fly it on anything less than 150#. I also don't care much for it in anything under about 7-8 mph and it really kicks when the winds hit 10. Personally, that's when this kite becomes a rush to fly. Absolutely awesome and fast.....I mean really fast! :)

85' lines should be perfect. This kite has such a high speed across the window that shorter lines will be a bit more difficult. Longer lines will slow it down a bit and give you much more room in the sky to fly. To each their own though....

I would use your 85' lines and go for it. The Sonic does require a little quad line skill, not one that I would recommend starting out with if you've never flown before. Also, give yourself some time to really get use to it, feather the rear lines and get it locked in and get use to how that feels. With a little time, you may find it as one of your favorite kites to fly. I did. :)

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

I have the vented version but also flew the no. Vented several times. Somewhere around 12-15 mph it starts fluttering a lot. Maybe others could tune that out. The vented is a blast in 12-18 mph. Smooth and speedy. I fly my on 100' which is great when you have the room. 85s should be fun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supersonic is flick-flak machine, effortless, as fast as you can think about it! Might need to cover the knots on the back of the sail (at the bottom), or run a trick-line thru those end caps.

Sonic boom dive-stops.

it's probably twice as fast as 1.5 models in both directions

Flic flac on the SS is easy, hold an upright hover, grab both bottom lines and pull in towards yourself (flic) then once the trailing edge has flipped up, let go of the bottom lines to reset to upright hover (flac).

You can also flic flac like on a 1.5 size, but the above procedure is considerably easier ;)

Super sonic has very fast side slides, too, in addition to fast forward and reverse as mentioned above. Inverted side slides inches off the ground are a thrill. I mostly use 85' 90# line and sometimes 150#, but I usually don't fly in higher winds.

I'd fly this kite more, but the pull is too much for my old body. Much above 12 mph for any length of time beats me to a pulp. Much below 8 mph it loses the speed and control that makes it a thrill to fly. In other words, the sweet spot is 8-12 mph for my preferences.

So that I could get four lines at 150#, I have to use two new ones and two old ones.  Do you see any problems with that?  The new ones are stiffer than old ones.  I am wondering if the new ones could cut the old ones.

I don't see a problem, as long as they are all spectra line... I'd put the older lines as the top left/right, and use the new stuff for the bottom lines.

Once again, as long as they are all spectra line, should be ok ;)

Flic flac on the SS is easy, hold an upright hover, grab both bottom lines and pull in towards yourself (flic) then once the trailing edge has flipped up, let go of the bottom lines to reset to upright hover (flac). You can also flic flac like on a 1.5 size, but the above procedure is considerably easier ;)

You upright hover to learn the technique, but you can do quarter turns in time w your music very soon. To execute you SNAP your thumbs powerfully at the kite. If it does not flip then you need more reverse tuning. It is not necessary to fly one handed, or grab strings.

You upright hover to learn the technique, but you can do quarter turns in time w your music very soon. To execute you SNAP your thumbs powerfully at the kite. If it does not flip then you need more reverse tuning. It is not necessary to fly one handed, or grab strings.

I would definitely avoid grabbing the lines on a Supersonic. Could get a nasty cut!