Joined Facebook !

Ok, I joined Facebook because everyone seems to be using it as a place to post interesting pics and stuff!! Fair enough, but I'm still figuring out how to use it, so if you get a friend request from Wayne (real name), please accept me!! And if I mess up and either don't get something or post in the wrong place, please forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm not all that computer savvy!! Working out the kinks........!

Welcome to the other dark side. The place we all love to hate.

Bart

Sounds about right, I'm still trying to navigate through it and find things effectively! Right now I'm just friending as many folks as I recognize and trying to learn about the different features!! Very different from the forum format and that is really all I've used so far!! My first foray into social media!!! kid_devlish.gif

Here you can find me: https://www.facebook.com/peter.w.meek

Check among my friends for kite people whose names you recognize and ask them to be friends. You can include a short message such as : "I'm SV from the Rev forum" so people will recognize you. Once they are friends, you can look through their friends for more people that you know or want to know.

One thing you should do fairly soon is go through all the options for Privacy (Account Settings under the little down-arrow at the far right of the blue menu bar) and adjust everything for maximum privacy until you can decide how you actually want things to be set.

Facebook, (perhaps rightly) feels that everyone should share everything; most people I know feel that a certain amount of privacy is better.

EDIT: Sent you a friend request

Here you can find me: https://www.facebook.com/peter.w.meek

Check among my friends for kite people whose names you recognize and ask them to be friends. You can include a short message such as : "I'm SV from the Rev forum" so people will recognize you. Once they are friends, you can look through their friends for more people that you know or want to know.

One thing you should do fairly soon is go through all the options for Privacy (Account Settings under the little down-arrow at the far right of the blue menu bar) and adjust everything for maximum privacy until you can decide how you actually want things to be set.

Facebook, (perhaps rightly) feels that everyone should share everything; most people I know feel that a certain amount of privacy is better.

EDIT: Sent you a friend request

Thanks Pete, got the friend request and I'll see about the security settings ASAP!! I've already found a bunch of fliers over there and sent friending requests to them!! Didn't know I could add a message to each request, so I put a short blurb in my profile saying who I was! Bart tagged some pics, that are now on my page too, so people who've seen me will know me! And with my face, I'm easy to remember!!! kid_devlish.gif

Ok, I joined Facebook because everyone seems to be using it as a place to post interesting pics and stuff!! Fair enough, but I'm still figuring out how to use it, so if you get a friend request from Wayne (real name), please accept me!! And if I mess up and either don't get something or post in the wrong place, please forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm not all that computer savvy!! Working out the kinks........!

Facebook, so last year, you need Google+ now. :kid_smartass:

I just joined Facebook. Probably the Kiss of Death. No one has ever accused me of being trendy! (A fifty something male who sews kites?)

But I missed a concert recently that was limited to Facebook respondants, the 40th Anniversary Concert of a band I really enjoy, organized by their 20 something kids. Sigh.

So, kicking and screaming I signed up. Some of you have received friend requests already and responded. Building slowly. Waiting to see if this thing catches on.:blue-confused:

The problem with Goggle + is so few people on it and unless most of FB friends suddenly switch it won't be useful for me to.

Bart

Yes I know it does need a “Field of Dreams” moment but it so much better than FB, I particularly like the way that Circles allow you to control who sees and who can comment on what.

@Quincy – Sounds like a similar story to mine, I was trying my best to avoid FB but ended up having to sign up, when I found out that people at work were posing stuff about me. I wouldn’t be so paranoid if the weren’t all out to get me.

Yes I know it does need a "Field of Dreams" moment but it so much better than FB, I particularly like the way that Circles allow you to control who sees and who can comment on what.

Facebook does the same thing. It's their impossible-to-sort-out privacy stuff and the way things are buried that drive me nuts. Can't find my own stuff half the time!

Bart

Facebook does the same thing. It's their impossible-to-sort-out privacy stuff and the way things are buried that drive me nuts. Can't find my own stuff half the time!

Bart

Google+, Facebook, Diaspora - there will be an on-going game of catch-up and leapfrog between 'em all over the forthcoming months. I think the difference is that Google+ and Diaspora are designed with a view to allowing you to control your personal information flows, whereas FB tends to bolt it on as a knee-jerk reaction. I guess I'm even more suspicious of the 'applications' that ask for permission to raid your contacts and friend lists! And as your personal information is monetised by tightly focusing the adverts on your interests, friends, job, etc., Google and FB both want to hold your information.

It's annoying having to join (and keep tabs on) each one, but for the social networks, now is the time to "evolve or die".

It all sounds a bit negative, but each service provides great facilities to share photos and information - and they are subscription-free to use (despite the hoax claims that circulate from time to time!) My philosophy is to share stuff that I would be comfortable to treat as public domain and check the privacy options, clawing them back to "minimum necessary sharing". Personal information and exchanges are best dealt with through messages if you don't have a direct email (how many personal one-to-one exchanges have you seen shared?) But I do enjoy viewing photos from kite festivals far too remote to visit.

Neither G+ nor FB replace this forum, but they act as a complementary channel for social banter. Enjoy!!

Well, I joined Google+, created a "Kiting" circle, found ahofer and added him as a connection. Now what?

I searched on 'kite' and 'kites' (how I found ahofer) but didn't recognize anyone else from Revkites, Kitelife, or Kitebuilder. They may be there, but I didn't recognize them.