Long handles vs B-Series handles?

terry w

Question

hi john

this is the first time replying to a topic , everyone seems to have some great ideas on what would be valuable on a tutorial disc, rather than every thing on one disc , might it be progressive , you know kind of like maintenace ,beginners , intermidiate etc you get the picture . loads of work im sure. good luck on it!

i do have a question on the long handles used in the paola ceresa video sent in by mario,are they something most rev flyers are inclined to use and how do they change flight control compared to the handles supplied with the b-series.... more/less brake or what? :confused!:

8 answers to this question

hi john

this is the first time replying to a topic , everyone seems to have some great ideas on what would be valuable on a tutorial disc, rather than every thing on one disc , might it be progressive , you know kind of like maintenace ,beginners , intermidiate etc you get the picture . loads of work im sure. good luck on it!

i do have a question on the long handles used in the paola ceresa video sent in by mario,are they something most rev flyers are inclined to use and how do they change flight control compared to the handles supplied with the b-series.... more/less brake or what? :confused!:

Thanks Terry, I'll add your inputs to our overall considerations, for sure.

As for the handle question, I'll encourage you to repost it under it's own topic so more people can answer and find it easily. ;)

hi john

Handle length is a factor of both local conditions as much as personal comfort.

The higher the wind, or the more precision you want to fly with = shorter handles

Slack and trick flying, very low wind, or short lines in tough turbulence = longer throw handle lengths.

I carry several lengths from 10 inches (measured across the gap, NOT across the back parameter of the curve), 12's, two pairs of 13-1/2s, a set of 15's and 17 inchers, only the 13-1/2 ones are stainless steel. All the others are wrapped graphite.

I also have a favorite pair made from grade five titanium tubes with custom grips. They are both extremely light in weight and durable. They allow you to fly light weight kites whilst standing on just one foot,... effortless and enjoyable for extended periods of time.

They are also advantageous for instructions, 'cause they force newbies to make tiny little adjustments. A big move dumps all the air regardless of flight orientation on the kite.

Say you want to do an axel, you just flick one thumb forward while pulling the other handle back sharply. The kite rotates around nicely, almost all by itself. In the land of no-wind you will be watching without this increased leverage.

The other day I was out with 120 foot lines on ten inch handles and a vented B-Series. You'd swear it wasn't even me on the handles! Winds were gusting to the middle twenties, so why tire out myself. I sat in lawn chair and relaxed while practicing my "own a hover".

post-92-1200423471_thumb.jpg

Terry,

there's almost no wrong answer when four strings are involved. I've had folks describe my kites as unflyable (Dean Jordan) and absolutely perfect (Scott Weider),... go figure!

Whatever is comfortable for you, that is what's correct!

Experimenting with your equipment and kites is great fun. You should learn from a coach if at all possible though. That way you'll see how to care for your lines and tune for the local conditions. Thereafter feel free to vary, it's so much fun to share your findings too.

My local club has taken on several cooperative missions over the years. Dave and Harold, even Mike Mosman are all innovative implementers. I'm a concept guy and bridle geek so we get together and share our skill-sets.

When you hit upon something superior, you simply adopt it to all your favorites.

Just explain for this simpleton - what is it you've extended the handles with in the pictures - a piece of carbon tube?

I would say that carbon tube would split too easily.

It looks like solid carbon to me. That is what I have used in the past.

In addition I got my hands on some stainless tube of the same ID and OD to cover it up and make it tougher.

what is it you've extended the handles with in the pictures - a piece of carbon tube?

I used some scraps of Sky Shark P-100 with Avia .2400 glued inside, as I didn't have any solid carbon rod in stock.

It isn't the strongest material to use, but I have 4 or 5 sets of the older Rev handles and wanted to lengthen some of them. I don't power kite with them; I only use them in lighter winds, as long handles exert quite a bit of torque on your wrists and I found that I can fly longer without strain with the regular handles in stronger winds.

I make no claim that I've innovated anything; I'd heard of people using carbon tubing to extend their Rev handles and thought that I'd give it a try on my old handles.

It was so easy that I thought I'd share it and maybe help someone else.

Do be careful though, the stainless steel often has sharp burrs on it that are covered by the vinyl end caps.