Another Returning Rev flyer ...

RevPiper

Hello

Just joined the Forum today. I've been reading the wealth of information and advise here for the last week or so, following a revisit and dust off of the contents of my Kite bag.

I've been flying and making kites for years - my first kite, back in the early 80's, was a Peter Powell, and from that first flight I've been hooked.

Have flown all sorts over the years, mainly 2 line stunt kites - Team Hawaiians, Speedwings, Liteflights, and a few years ago I bought a few Flexifoils.

I bought an EXP about 10 years ago, mainly out of curiosity as it looked and flew so differently to what I was used to. I flew it a few times, but to be honest didn't really give it the attention it needed, and couldn't get my head around the different flying style and techniques. Last week however, I took it out for a fly, and decided to persevere.

It was a pretty rough flight, the wind was strong and choppy, but the long and short of it was I loved it.

I've done a lot of reading since, and watched the plethora of videos on youtube, and I've got the bug.

I rang a dealer here in the UK - GoKites - with the intention of buying a Std Sail B Series. Unfortunately they were out of stock, but were expecting any day a delivery of 4 New York Minutes, 2 standards and 2 2-vents. So, again after looking at youtube etc, I've jumped in and ordered a 2 vent version (I may go back and get a standard sail as well at some point).

I have a question re the NY Minute if anyone can help - the kite comes with a Green Race Rod frame as standard. Does anyone know if the kite can be flown with other frames, as the B series can, and what the wind ranges might be when flown with other frames?

Should get the NYM on Saturday, can't wait.

thanks

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy.. Good to see a UK flier... I Im back to it after just a small two year break.. Im working on some things for 2015 for quad fliers here in UK Im a film maker where about are you based ?

Im North west manchester, got a website in the works here explaining some fun meets if your up for it ? http://kiteworx.weebly.com/

Have fun and maybe someone will answer your wind speed question soon ..

Hi Andy,

OK give us a clue as to where in the UK you fly ? so that we can link you up with other flyers.

A couple of hours spent with a regular flyer learning basic techniques could save you a lot of heartache

and frustration in the future, we've done it before and will do it again !

If you are anywhere near Dunstable Downs then please come and join us, we are there most Sundays !

Bill

Hi Bill

Sorry I should have put more info in my intro. I've updated my location now.

Many thanks for your invitation.

I'm in Bedford. Probably 1/2 an hour's drive or so to Dunstable Downs. Where do you fly exactly, and will you be there this Sunday? It would be great to meet you and get some advice.

Thanks

Andy

I'm in Bedford. Probably 1/2 an hour's drive or so to Dunstable Downs. Where do you fly exactly, and will you be there this Sunday? It would be great to meet you and get some advice.

Hi Andy,

Use this postcode on Google maps LU6 2GY

Thats the Visitor Centre and we are visible from the car park ! just look for Revs !

Yes we will be there Sunday from about 10.30 and the forecast is for good winds !

Bill

I'm not sure what frame(s) your vented will come with, as a point of interest your exp has a 3wrap frame that interchanges with all 1.5 based revs. You may want to get a 2wrap frame with the vented rev and put that frame in your exp for the light wind days. On very strong wind days you can use the 3wrap leading edge along with the 2wrap leading edge tucked in the leading edge, making it a super strong but heavy 5wrap leading edge.

Yes there is room. One set is held in with the end caps, the other set is free floating but going nowhere. Not really needed but it's a way of getting a lighter frame as long as Andy already has a 3wrap frame on the exp. Usually the 1.5b vented came with 2 frames, a 3 and 4wrap, but I'm not sure about now days, if the kite is being picked up at the store maybe the choice is there for a 2 wrap exchange for the 3.

I'm not sure what frame(s) your vented will come with, as a point of interest your exp has a 3wrap frame that interchanges with all 1.5 based revs. You may want to get a 2wrap frame with the vented rev and put that frame in your exp for the light wind days. On very strong wind days you can use the 3wrap leading edge along with the 2wrap leading edge tucked in the leading edge, making it a super strong but heavy 5wrap leading edge.

I bought a New York Minute 2 Vent - it comes with (as do all the NYM variants) a Green Race rod frame as standard. It's good to know that if needed I can use the 3 wrap frame from my EXP and I assume the Green Race frame in the EXP.

thanks.

Yes on those calm days pop the green race in the exp for a test drive. There's not much difference in switching the vertical rods so you could actually keep the green race leading edge in the nym put the 3wraps on its verticals, then take the other 2 green race rods and put them in the exp as the leading edge outer rods with the 3wrap center.

• Like 1

Yes on those calm days pop the green race in the exp for a test drive. There's not much difference in switching the vertical rods so you could actually keep the green race leading edge in the nym put the 3wraps on its verticals, then take the other 2 green race rods and put them in the exp as the leading edge outer rods with the 3wrap center.

I usually mix n match rather than do a full swap out if I'm in the middle of flying or I want to experiment with something different. My wind conditions change by the minute, so I don't want to waste too much time.