Do You Fly Everyday?

oyepitsme

i crave to fly with others but so far im solo (there are 2 line flyers but not Rev)...as far as this everyday goes...i know i need to back off a tad and am sure in time i will...i just cant right now...i'm struggling with the urge to go out right now (10:08 pm) winds are a nice steady 10 mph coming off the water and im about 3 stone throws away from it. SOoooo Tempting!

About 2 weeks after i started I met a guy with several revs and flew with him about an hour or so once...last time i've seen him.confused_1.gif

Once upon a time I flew everyday when I was competing.

I flew every work day after work until it was too dark to see the REV reasonably even with the lights lining the sidewalk around the area.

Then I would fly all day Saturday and Sunday.

Now days I am lucky to get free from my work to fly once a week.

I cant wait to compete...first chance i get. But why do 1.5 and such almost always beat speed series?:boxing:

I cant wait to compete...first chance i get. But why do 1.5 and such almost always beat speed series?:boxing:

If you are referring to competition, the REV 1.5 is definitely more precise as compared to any of the SPEED Series.

When I was still competing I used the REV 1.5 for Ballet and the REV I for precision. That was before the JB and JB Pro.

Now days the JB and JB Pro would be good choices for precision.

For Ballet, you would have to choice the REV that best fits to the music you are using. Most choose the REV 1.5.

While I defer to others with far more expertise and experience than I, I think part of the answer is the 1.5s are just way more popular than the speed series kites, and therefore you have more competitors focusing on getting really good with that kite. Most people learn on a "regular" 1.5 first, and eventually try out the speed series for a different experience if they really get into flying quad line, but they don't fly it every single day. Even with the 1.5, there's a big investment in flying time to learn the precision and control that are required for the figures and ballet in competition.

I'm nowhere close to the control I'd like to have with a 1.5, so . . . . I should fly every day :lol:. Unfortunately, the lack of a nearby beach with smooth wind and . . . a slight "work" and "mortgage" problem keep me from flying all the time. The other aspect is that the standard 1.5 lends itself much more to flying as a group - in part because slower speed allows more people of different abilities to fly close together. With the speed series, you get across the flying window so fast that it would be tough to fly as a group unless you really had some experience.

Now somebody is going to prove me wrong by posting up video of speed series team ballet . . . .

• Like 1

While I defer to others with far more expertise and experience than I, I think part of the answer is the 1.5s are just way more popular than the speed series kites, and therefore you have more competitors focusing on getting really good with that kite. Most people learn on a "regular" 1.5 first, and eventually try out the speed series for a different experience if they really get into flying quad line, but they don't fly it every single day. Even with the 1.5, there's a big investment in flying time to learn the precision and control that are required for the figures and ballet in competition.

I'm nowhere close to the control I'd like to have with a 1.5, so . . . . I should fly every day :lol:. Unfortunately, the lack of a nearby beach with smooth wind and . . . a slight "work" and "mortgage" problem keep me from flying all the time. The other aspect is that the standard 1.5 lends itself much more to flying as a group - in part because slower speed allows more people of different abilities to fly close together. With the speed series, you get across the flying window so fast that it would be tough to fly as a group unless you really had some experience.

Now somebody is going to prove me wrong by posting up video of speed series team ballet . . . .m

The 1.5 Does fly way Different. Than the sped series...at least the shock and super...not that I be flown a 1.5 anymore than 8 hours Max. However....the shock and super...I literally have one or the other IN THE AIR at the very least...5 hours a day 7 days a week. And that's on a slack week. So I feel very comfortable with either of them. When I flew the 1.5 I immediately noticed the difference in precision. I could do much more easily with it, things that I had difficulty with using the super and the shock. ( steady hovers inverted or not..reverse flight in straight line)...but it board me...with the other two...its like there's nothing but me and the kite at times. I kinda almost feel one with them (when the right tune is playing) :) but I'm thinking that for dogs staking and indoor or under 3 MPH wind...that's when I'd like something more along the lines of a standard rev. I hope to do a ballet with at least one other flyer while flying shocks or supers...and a fast high energy one at that...just go for it ... balls to the wall...getting excited just talking a out it. Lol

• 4 weeks later...

i crave to fly with others but so far im solo (there are 2 line flyers but not Rev)...as far as this everyday goes...i know i need to back off a tad and am sure in time i will...i just cant right now...i'm struggling with the urge to go out right now (10:08 pm) winds are a nice steady 10 mph coming off the water and im about 3 stone throws away from it. SOoooo Tempting!

About 2 weeks after i started I met a guy with several revs and flew with him about an hour or so once...last time i've seen him.confused_1.gif

Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure I'm that guy! I haven't been on the forums much in the past month so I just now saw this. It was out at Yorktown beach, right? I had a ball flying your Supersonic, taped up sail and all. It was my first (and still only) experience with a speed series. Your flying was really impressive for two weeks experience, and I see in the videos that you've gotten better since.

I still get out to Yorktown from time to time, but I just don't get to fly anywhere close to every day. I think you've flown more hours in the past 4 months than I have in the past 3 years. Next time I get the chance I'll look for you out at Buckroe. I've still got your cell #.

Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure I'm that guy! I haven't been on the forums much in the past month so I just now saw this. It was out at Yorktown beach, right? I had a ball flying your Supersonic, taped up sail and all. It was my first (and still only) experience with a speed series. Your flying was really impressive for two weeks experience, and I see in the videos that you've gotten better since.

I still get out to Yorktown from time to time, but I just don't get to fly anywhere close to every day. I think you've flown more hours in the past 4 months than I have in the past 3 years. Next time I get the chance I'll look for you out at Buckroe. I've still got your cell #.

Lol...yes, you ARE that guy. I really enjoyed it also. I still fly at Buckrow. Today makes the sixth day since 9/5 that I haven't flown. I've been back to Yorktown twice since then. If you call me the next time you go ill try to meet you out there. You should see that Supersonic now. Ill just say...its had a Makeover. I have a new one now...also a Shockwave, and a Blast. I abuse the you know what out of them too. :) I just push myself to My Max and beyond each time I fly. And my kites pay the price. Well Brian, hope to fly with you again soon. So far....I've flown with you once, Cath from flying smiles kites, and a guy from VA beach. (Jim)

The 1.5 Does fly way Different. Than the sped series...at least the shock and super...not that I be flown a 1.5 anymore than 8 hours Max. However....the shock and super...I literally have one or the other IN THE AIR at the very least...5 hours a day 7 days a week. And that's on a slack week. So I feel very comfortable with either of them. When I flew the 1.5 I immediately noticed the difference in precision. I could do much more easily with it, things that I had difficulty with using the super and the shock. ( steady hovers inverted or not..reverse flight in straight line)...but it board me...with the other two...its like there's nothing but me and the kite at times. I kinda almost feel one with them (when the right tune is playing) :) but I'm thinking that for dogs staking and indoor or under 3 MPH wind...that's when I'd like something more along the lines of a standard rev. I hope to do a ballet with at least one other flyer while flying shocks or supers...and a fast high energy one at that...just go for it ... balls to the wall...getting excited just talking a out it. Lol

Lol...just looking back on some older post of mine like this one...darn the spell check. ;)

Lol...yes, you ARE that guy. I really enjoyed it also. I still fly at Buckrow. Today makes the sixth day since 9/5 that I haven't flown. I've been back to Yorktown twice since then. If you call me the next time you go ill try to meet you out there. You should see that Supersonic now. Ill just say...its had a Makeover. I have a new one now...also a Shockwave, and a Blast. I abuse the you know what out of them too. :) I just push myself to My Max and beyond each time I fly. And my kites pay the price. Well Brian, hope to fly with you again soon. So far....I've flown with you once, Cath from flying smiles kites, and a guy from VA beach. (Jim)

It's time for me to jump in ... Scott you are amazing!

John Mitchell and all -

this guy flys a Blast as well as MOST flyers I've seen with a 1.5. I put Scott on a Pro B 1.5 and a B2, and he was exquisite - most aren't this good after a couple of years - but he still prefers speed, power and the associated adreniline rush!!!

So my advice to him for the TISKC was to stay with what he's 'one with' and start at the Experienced level. (Remember 4 months into this!) If the Comp bug bites him, then he should expand his choices with the 'slower' and much more precise 1.5's or the B2.)

Also, he and Jim have started a Norfolk area club for Rev fliers primarily. Scott you and Jim get to announce your name choice!!!

Brian and Doug really need to join these two nutcases to help settle votes - altho' with that 4-some I can predict 4 way ties :wacko:

BTW, I was so impressed with Scott's Supersonic (he used another one of his new kites) patch job that I was compelled to give him a prize. He's the only other person I knew that has cut up a perfectly good kite to pursue that nirvana of Revs.!!

Cath

John Mitchell and all -

this guy flys a Blast as well as MOST flyers I've seen with a 1.5. I put Scott on a Pro B 1.5 and a B2, and he was exquisite - most aren't this good after a couple of years - but he still prefers speed, power and the associated adreniline rush!!!

So my advice to him for the TISKC was to stay with what he's 'one with' and start at the Experienced level. (Remember 4 months into this!) If the Comp bug bites him, then he should expand his choices with the 'slower' and much more precise 1.5's or the B2.)

Also, he and Jim have started a Norfolk area club for Rev fliers primarily. Scott you and Jim get to announce your name choice!!!

Brian and Doug really need to join these two nutcases to help settle votes - altho' with that 4-some I can predict 4 way ties :wacko:

BTW, I was so impressed with Scott's Supersonic (he used another one of his new kites) patch job that I was compelled to give him a prize. He's the only other person I knew that has cut up a perfectly good kite to pursue that nirvana of Revs.!!

Cath

Lol...Thank You Cath. You are too kind. About to leave in a few minutes for T.I. Thanx again for the "prize" :)As for my ex-HQ Salsa...well, I needed my rev flying so the HQ took one for the team (my rev & I) :) thank you for the kind words. Got to go now. My first comp. Looking forward to it. As for the name of our group...(B.A.R.F.) Bay Area Rev Flyers. Jim get the credit for that one. ;)

Hi guys.....

My name is Laura, and I'm a Revaholic!!! 11.gif

It will be four years the end of March that I first saw and flew a Rev in person. (JB, the time sure has flown by!) Since that weekend, a day doesn't go by that I'm not thinking about or flying a Rev. Especially in the beginning, when there were times that I couldn't fly because of various injuries, I would think about what the kite was doing during various hand movements or read through old threads here. I did anything I could do to "absorb" the concepts. I believe it enhanced my learning curve.

Competition is an awesome thing; if done for the right reasons. I do it to challenge myself to be a better pilot. There are always skills to learn or "tweak". It is a sport that is evolving all of the time (IMHO).

This past year, I couldn't fly from April 'til September because of a couple injures kid_cussing.gif. It was so frustrating and even though I did "fly a rev on a stick" to come up with a routine to compete with, not flying and hanging with my Rev friends put me in a real "funk". I'm starting to get back on track with everything. I can tell you from this experience, that Rev Flying is ABSOLUTELY good for the mind, body, and soul!! Without flying, there was a big void.

So, fly as much as you can!!!

John Mitchell and all -

Cath