Megafly Scheveningen 2012

Madquad

Please reply on this topic to find out who really wants to come to/can confirm the Scheveningen Megafly 2012.

The festival will be 22 an 23 September 2012

- Team AIR4CE (4)..confirmed

- Decorators (3) ..confirmed ..probably 8

- The Flying Squad ?

- Team Fusion (5) ...confirmed.. probably 6

- Team4Mation ?

- The Crazy Drivers ?

- Team4Fun ?

- Ephemere ?

- Team Bolau ?

- Team Mistral ?

- Imagina ?

- FLIC ?

- IQuad ?

- 180Go! ?

- Too Much Fun ?

- Lousticks ?

(i must forgot a lot of teams...please come up with more entries)

Total: 11 confirmed

No discussion the skilled individual pilots are invited too !! so please reply too......

if the teams mention above come..than we are already over the 64 rev fliers...:)

My first attempt to see what it might cost to get the Tennessee Wind Militia there turned up a rather scary per person price.

$12726 Economy selectbutton-exp.png JL.png Japan Airlines TYS JL TYS 7:00a AMS 5:45p7:00a a-airplane-right-icon.png AMS JL AMS 11:55a TYS 3:35p11:55a a-airplane-right-icon.png AMS 5:45p TYS 3:35p 52h 45m 3 33h 40m 3 details a-result-button-arrow-right.png pin a-result-button-arrow-right.png share a-result-button-arrow-right.png 3 sites Jal $12726Check:TravelocityExpediaAmerican Airlines operates flight 7009.

American Eagle for American Airlines operates flight 7441, 7440.

Finnair operates flight 7071, 7809, 7808, 7070. print a-result-button-arrow-right.png

My first attempt to see what it might cost to get the Tennessee Wind Militia there turned up a rather scary per person price.

$12726 Economy selectbutton-exp.pngJL.png Japan Airlines TYS JL TYS 7:00a AMS 5:45p7:00a a-airplane-right-icon.png AMS JL AMS 11:55a TYS 3:35p11:55a a-airplane-right-icon.png AMS 5:45p TYS 3:35p 52h 45m 3 33h 40m 3 details a-result-button-arrow-right.png pin a-result-button-arrow-right.png share a-result-button-arrow-right.png 3 sites Jal $12726Check:TravelocityExpediaAmerican Airlines operates flight 7009.

American Eagle for American Airlines operates flight 7441, 7440.

Finnair operates flight 7071, 7809, 7808, 7070. print a-result-button-arrow-right.png

Dude . . . you need to try a different site. That's hilarious.

Actually, the problem most of us will have estimating cost at this point is that many airlines don't take reservations a whole year out into the future. For many airlines, 330 days is the furthest out you can make reservations. Plus, they look at supply and demand constantly, and adjust their fares as the dates get closer, so the initial fares may not be the lowest cost. Sometimes fares will drop 2-3 months ahead, and sometimes they'll drop the week before a flight if seats remain unsold. We'll probably be able to get a better idea of cost in about three weeks. And . . . none of the previous factors in changes to the price of oil (jet fuel).

Also, for many locations in the US, Amsterdam is not nearly as competitive an air travel market as London. So, we may see considerably higher airfares into Amsterdam. Of course, it's another hop to Amsterdam from there - but there are quite a few discount airlines operating out of the UK that might make it worthwhile to stop there for a bit.

I'll spend some time thinking about how we can reduce costs to get across the pond. Anybody willing to meet in a common location (say, Chicago?), and then we could try to negotiate a group rate from here? I'm willing to do a little legwork with the airlines (even though I don't have permission from the wife . . . yet). We'd probably need quite a few committed to try for a discount.

Dude . . . you need to try a different site. That's hilarious.

Actually, the problem most of us will have estimating cost at this point is that many airlines don't take reservations a whole year out into the future. For many airlines, 330 days is the furthest out you can make reservations. Plus, they look at supply and demand constantly, and adjust their fares as the dates get closer, so the initial fares may not be the lowest cost. Sometimes fares will drop 2-3 months ahead, and sometimes they'll drop the week before a flight if seats remain unsold. We'll probably be able to get a better idea of cost in about three weeks. And . . . none of the previous factors in changes to the price of oil (jet fuel).

Also, for many locations in the US, Amsterdam is not nearly as competitive an air travel market as London. So, we may see considerably higher airfares into Amsterdam. Of course, it's another hop to Amsterdam from there - but there are quite a few discount airlines operating out of the UK that might make it worthwhile to stop there for a bit.

I'll spend some time thinking about how we can reduce costs to get across the pond. Anybody willing to meet in a common location (say, Chicago?), and then we could try to negotiate a group rate from here? I'm willing to do a little legwork with the airlines (even though I don't have permission from the wife . . . yet). We'd probably need quite a few committed to try for a discount.

Hi goestoeleven-

I think it's a great idea to inquire about group rates. Since everyone would be going east, how about NJ or NY as a common location....if that's possible? I don't think it would make any sense to go west a thousand miles or so ;) .

Hi Scott-

How's everything?

In taking a quick peak from Nashville to Hethrow, in the first week of Dec., it was a bit under $800.00, plus fees per person. That's not too bad. Lodging and food and local travel, that's another issue, of course.

Yeah . . . . I read your notes/blog/thread entries from WSIKF 2010 before I decided to show up at WSIKF 2011 smile.gif. I spent lots of time flying in the spring just to get ready for WSIKF, since I've only been flying for a little over a year (and it had been much less than a year when I decided we'd go to WSIKF). I went to WSIKF specifically to get into a mega fly, and to get to fly with a lot of other people at the same time. I do get to enjoy flying with others when IKE has a club fly, but that's not as often as I'd like.

So you can attest to my comments that the basic grid can be done without having a ton of experience! Hopefully a few more will begin to believe it and in themselves to try it.

Bart

I found flights from LAX to Amsterdam round trip for $668.00, leaving in the middle of the week and staying over into the third week. In the past, we have always found a better price flying across the pond during the middle of the week. That was some years ago, don't know if it is still the case.

The price I found was for next March as they would not quote past 330 days. I will be interested to see what time brings.

Another consideration is room cost. We would prefer to stay within walking distance of the venue. Nothing upscale, just safe and clean. No interest in renting a car or spending lots of time getting to the beach.

As far as a group rate from NY or NJ, sounds interesting. However, would only be interested in going over that way as we would most likely do some travel on the Continent and visit friends in the UK. Would stay for several weeks.

Our interest is up. Let's see how it goes.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are usually the least expensive days to fly, no matter which way you fly. Another hub to look at is Atlanta. Transiting between terminal in Atlanta, is also a breeze.

In the past I would really shop a long time for cross-Atlantic fare. Invariably over Atlanta I found the cheapest fares. Sometimes I found fares cheaper over Chicago and once over Philadelphia and once over Washington/Dulles. In most cases my final destination was the West Coast. Over NYC/JFK was invariably more costly.

I have no idea anymore, how many times I have flown the Atlantic.

kayak.com is a good place to start when looking for flights.

Depending on your tolerance for long layovers or multiple stops, you should be able to get a flight for under $1000 from the U.S. to Amsterdam.

Still a lot of money just to fly in a mega-fly, so extend the trip and see some sights in the Netherlands or a nearby country.

In my experience, in the internet age, group discounts usually aren't much different from what you'd get on the web by yourself.

kayak.com is a good place to start when looking for flights.

Depending on your tolerance for long layovers or multiple stops, you should be able to get a flight for under $1000 from the U.S. to Amsterdam.

Still a lot of money just to fly in a mega-fly, so extend the trip and see some sights in the Netherlands or a nearby country.

In my experience, in the internet age, group discounts usually aren't much different from what you'd get on the web by yourself.

Hi Mike...

How's everything?

I wouldn't go all the way there and not stay for a bit. I would love to see some of that part of the world.

• 3 weeks later...