Mystery Photos

johnnmitchell

A leading edge bending extremely.

It was the leading edge of a REV I vented bending extremely.

This photo was taken in June 1995 before Revolution had a vented REV on the market.

This was my second REV I vented of three versions that I built. All had different venting layouts.

The rods were 4-wrap "Revolution Equipped" with stainless steel ferrules.

The location of the photo was FANO Denmark. The wind was very close to 50 MPH.

Ant got the REV I right.

Ilh got the extreme bending right.

post-41-1182529067_thumb.jpg

It was the leading edge of a REV I vented bending extremely.

This photo was taken in June 1995 before Revolution had a vented REV on the market.

This was my second REV I vented of three versions that I built. All had different venting layouts.

The rods were 4-wrap "Revolution Equipped" with stainless steel ferrules.

The location of the photo was FANO Denmark. The wind was very close to 50 MPH.

Ant got the REV I right.

Ilh got the extreme bending right.

Wow! Being so new to all this, I still haven't come to terms with the degree to which Revs can bend. I flew my B-series un-vented recently with the 2-wrap frame and even in pretty light wind, it would occasionally bend a LOT. But that was in the other plane - what kind of move(s) make it bend like this? Was it in danger of breaking?

Fraser

Wow! Being so new to all this, I still haven't come to terms with the degree to which Revs can bend. I flew my B-series un-vented recently with the 2-wrap frame and even in pretty light wind, it would occasionally bend a LOT. But that was in the other plane - what kind of move(s) make it bend like this? Was it in danger of breaking?

Fraser

The danger; I would not try want to attempt this except on really stiff rods like the "Revolution Equipped". I don't think I could have broken the rods even in stronger winds unless, I really did something abrupt such as hitting an object or catching a wind gust, which practically never exists there.

The Move; I forced the REV to fly backwards with all my strength to obtain the most extreme bend possible. I am very sure it bent even further however it was not easy to capture on camera as the most extreme bends would last only a second.

Mystery Photo Number 6.

A bit of history.

Who is this internationally known quadline team that flew both dual and quads as a team?

Who are the members in the photo?

It looks like we needs some hints.

The team is still active with two of the persons in the picture plus several other members.

The pictures were take on the Donau Insel(Danube Island) in Vienna Austria in 1991.

The team is European and have flown at kite festivals at, at least in Asia, North America and Europe.

In 1996 I flew with the team in Berlin, Scheveningen and Vienna.

Aha!! We're back to the massively over-sized Revs I mentioned and about which you denied all knowledge after the "bisected girl incident"!

Well, what happened here was a similar 100mph slide manouvre - this time from the left. Immediately after this shot, it smashed through the side of that boat, implaing the captain.

Don't even THINK about denying it!

Mystery Photo Number 6.

A bit of history.

Who is this internationally known quadline team that flew both dual and quads as a team?

Who are the members in the photo?

Is that not the Decorators :lol: Mr claffery, Mr johnson ? and others ??

Is that not the Decorators :lol: Mr claffery, Mr johnson ? and others ??

The team should not have been to difficult, but the names of the persons on the team would not have been easy.

The team is indeed The Decorators. I am not sure that the Decorators are flying as a team in 2007.

The members at the time of the photo were:

- Jacob Twyford

- Felix Mottram

- Romney Johnstone

- Tim Paget

Tim left the team in 1991. I think Johnnie Claffey joined the DECs in 1992.

At Vienna in 1996, the Decorators asked Ronnie Schrabmeier and I if we we would like to fly with them. It was my first quad team experience. At Scheveningen in 1996, they were short one member. I was asked to fly with them the whole day. At Berlin I was asked again to fly with them for a television camera. I had to explain on camera what the maneuvers were, in the German language, as we flew.

The new web site URL for The Decorators is: http://www.felixmottram.com/

Seems like the last one has folk beat, perhaps this is easier, so what happened here and what happened next?

(clip from vid)

post-559-1182682406_thumb.jpg

It is a REV I standard. It looks like the left tip is resting on an object in the water such as an anchoring buoy. It appears the line came loose on the lower right tip which could explain why the left tip is so far back and the leading edge on both sides are equal.

Seems like the last one has folk beat, perhaps this is easier, so what happened here and what happened next?

(clip from vid)

post-559-1182682406_thumb.jpg

This is a Rev 1 that is getting overcontrolled on the right wing. This caused the wing to flap up, then the kite fell into the water and the poor flier had to drag it out.

Fraser, thats not playing the game, you obviously have access to Coastguard reports. (and some imagination :D )

John is getting close with the slack line but there is nothing visible in the water (bouy etc)

This might help.

post-559-1182715728_thumb.jpg

This is nice and challenging!

From the second picture, it tells me that it's camera must have been on the REV. But where?

At the V there is a small object, which might have been a very very small camera.

The left tip is very close to the water and there is something white there or slightly behind.

It might also be a fixed non-floating object in the water, something that is used just before large dams.

Back to the lines it is noted that that one guy is holding one handle and the other the other handle. Judging by their positions on the ground, the right tip could be pointed almost at you, but it isn't.

Hmm?

This is nice and challenging!

From the second picture, it tells me that it's camera must have been on the REV. But where?

At the V there is a small object, which might have been a very very small camera.

The left tip is very close to the water and there is something white there or slightly behind.

It might also be a fixed non-floating object in the water, something that is used just before large dams.

Back to the lines it is noted that that one guy is holding one handle and the other the other handle. Judging by their positions on the ground, the right tip could be pointed almost at you, but it isn't.

Hmm?

When I look again, only one guy is flying the REV.

The right guy seems to be holding some type of line. Maybe that white object is a small boat with the camera on it?

What looks like an object in the water is actually the wake made by the tip. This tells me the Rev is in motion rather than hovering.

It also looks like you have a handle each.

I KNOW the camera is on a Rev Rig.

Still cant work it out though.

When I look again, only one guy is flying the REV.

The right guy seems to be holding some type of line. Maybe that white object is a small boat with the camera on it?

That would be a camera in the center of the REV for KAP.

The right guy appears to be holding the other camera.

The right tip went flat and may have some relation to the the right tip in the water, most likely after.

It must have been a bit scarey with the right tip flat and the KAP on the REV.