what to do about winter?

bartman

Seriously, now that I have had some breakthroughs and want to get out and fly every chance I get now, what is going to keep me going through our winters here? It is not practical to be outside flying when we have a wind chill of -30 or -40C.

Each passing day now, while warm enough, has had only howling winds on the weekends which are unusable. More howling winds forecast for tomorrow which was my only possibly day this week. It will only get worse from here on in.

Now, a vacation to someplace warm is not in the cards so how do you guys get through the winter and still keep your interest level up there? I'm getting worried that I'm going to lose what I gained before next spring.

Bart

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, now that I have had some breakthroughs and want to get out and fly every chance I get now, what is going to keep me going through our winters here? It is not practical to be outside flying when we have a wind chill of -30 or -40C.

Each passing day now, while warm enough, has had only howling winds on the weekends which are unusable. More howling winds forecast for tomorrow which was my only possibly day this week. It will only get worse from here on in.

Now, a vacation to someplace warm is not in the cards so how do you guys get through the winter and still keep your interest level up there? I'm getting worried that I'mm going to lose what I gained before next spring.

Bart

Hey, re-deal the cards!

I go to Mazatlan every winter, got my first tast of a rev down there, great beach for kites outside the timeshare.

post-2244-1224860149_thumb.jpg

Nice, but a winter vacation is not going to happen. No spare cash for anything like that.

I guess the only real options are to find somewhere you can fly an indoor (think I might give that a go in my kids school hall) ... or just wait for days when you can fly outdoors .... we bitch and whinge about our weather over here in the old world but at least we don't get -40c wind chill..ouch... I feel for you mate!

We lived in some cold places that actually got winters when I was a kid. I moved to Vancouver Island when I left the house at age 17. The relatively southern location and the Pacific Ocean help keep the temperatures mild. We rarely get significant snow or prolonged cold temperatures. Granted, it rains a lot, but proper rain gear makes all the difference. I fly all year 'round, at least a couple of times a week.

We lived in some cold places that actually got winters when I was a kid. I moved to Vancouver Island when I left the house at age 17. The relatively southern location and the Pacific Ocean help keep the temperatures mild. We rarely get significant snow or prolonged cold temperatures. Granted, it rains a lot, but proper rain gear makes all the difference. I fly all year 'round, at least a couple of times a week.

heard from terry that you'll be joining the snow queens for their december fun fly on the mainland....glad you can make it. c u soon!!!

c :blue-music:

<snip>

I'm getting worried that I'm going to lose what I gained before next spring.

Bart

Don't worry too much. Like riding a bicycle you should be able to pick up pretty quickly where you left off.

The analogy of wobbles runs deep...

Felix

Bart, you said "Seriously".

If flying is that important to you, as it is to us, have you thought about re-locating.

I know, I know, there are many reasons that you can not do that. There's this reason, and that reason, many of which are what other people tell you.

You would not be the first, nor would you be the last to relocate to live where the weather is more to your liking.

As far as I know, it is still legal to move about in Canada, or to somewhere else for that matter. We have friends who just moved to Taiwan.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

So many times we get stuck in "I can't do that because", instead of "what do I have to do in order to do that?"

Seriously..........

"Seriously" as in things kite related that I could do to keep my interest up for six months of winter. Not "seriously" as in where can I move to keep flying?

I've got a good job that I've been at for 25 years so I would not be switching that out to fly a kite anymore than I would move to act on some of the job offers I've had over the years because someone else thought a different job would be better for me.

Exciting to think about, just not going to happen.

I've got the IQuad DVD too watch, and whatever shows up on YouTube, but that would be all there is kite related other than this forum and a subscription to kitelife.com that I will get later in the fall so I can download content from there. Not a lot for that much time.

Bart

Now, a vacation to someplace warm is not in the cards so how do you guys get through the winter and still keep your interest level up there? I'm getting worried that I'm going to lose what I gained before next spring.

Bart

1. Go indoors. As most people know, I fly indoors a lot! Mainly to keep away from the cold and the snow here. It's great fun.

2. Flying in winter is still do-able. Trust me. I've done it.

post-374-1224885020_thumb.jpg

40 Below is a bit severe.

Choices must be,

Find a Large indoor area to do yr thing

Move to Ti Hiti or similar

Win the lottery and sort us all out

Start Ice skateing in winter times or breading huskys.

Man,i wont complain again about a chilly Morning.Hope ya sort somat,I would hate not ta be out for mnths.

Feel for ya mate

BRIAN..

1. Go indoors. As most people know, I fly indoors a lot! Mainly to keep away from the cold and the snow here. It's great fun.

2. Flying in winter is still do-able. Trust me. I've done it.

Based on what you are wearing for a jacket you are not flying in the -25 or more wind chills! The days where it would warm up enough to do that are chinooks blowing through and "blowing through" is the key word as they come with very strong winds. Not suitable for flying. Weather is a very difficult thing here.

No place indoors to do this and it doesn't really interest me to be indoors with it. It is nice to watch the occassional person do it and do it well (such as your video), but that is all the interest I have regarding indoor flying.

The lottery idea had merit that Brian suggested. I will work on that.

Bart

Winter kite flying can be done with the right equipment.

It sounds all too obvious, but the secret to staying warm in the Winter is don't let yourself get cold. Once the chill sets in, you are done.

Good quality thermal underwear, snowmobile suit, mitts and boots help keep the chill out.

Your back is to the wind most of the time.

Winter air is denser than warm Summer air and you can fly in less wind.

I've flown in -30° C during a lull between storms. Properly dressed, it wasn't that bad.

Steve has a point. You can fly in any weather you set you mind to, as long as the winds are not too strong for the kites you own. Once you are in the zone, with proper clothing, you will not notice what Mother Nature is throwing at you. Dress in layers, thermal undergarments really help. I have been outside at night observing with my telescope, and had frost forming on everything. I was properly dressed, and other than my nose and fingertips I was toasty warm. Sport kite flying is way more active than sitting at the eyepiece of a telescope, so moving around is going to keep you warmer longer. You may not be able to fly as often or as long as you can in the summer, but you can fly. They say life is a bowl of strawberries, it is what you make of them is what counts!

Winter kite flying can be done with the right equipment.

It sounds all too obvious, but the secret to staying warm in the Winter is don't let yourself get cold. Once the chill sets in, you are done.

Good quality thermal underwear, snowmobile suit, mitts and boots help keep the chill out.

Your back is to the wind most of the time.

Winter air is denser than warm Summer air and you can fly in less wind.

I've flown in -30° C during a lull between storms. Properly dressed, it wasn't that bad.

Err, are you on glue? :kid_smartass:

How do you feel anything in the controls with mitts on? I can't stand being wrapped up like that to stay warm. I just won't go out in those kind of temperatures except to move between work, the grocery store and home. I barely can stand being outside once it gets less than +20 degrees so the couple days I flew when it was just 15 was already pushing it for me. No way I'd be out with it below freezing.

Bart

Steve has a point. You can fly in any weather you set you mind to, as long as the winds are not too strong for the kites you own. Once you are in the zone, with proper clothing, you will not notice what Mother Nature is throwing at you. Dress in layers, thermal undergarments really help. I have been outside at night observing with my telescope, and had frost forming on everything. I was properly dressed, and other than my nose and fingertips I was toasty warm. Sport kite flying is way more active than sitting at the eyepiece of a telescope, so moving around is going to keep you warmer longer. You may not be able to fly as often or as long as you can in the summer, but you can fly. They say life is a bowl of strawberries, it is what you make of them is what counts!

Another one of you cold weather people!? I've heard you exist, but I've never actually seen one before.

Been there, done that with the telescope in the dead of winter. Sold the telescope.

I'll need to find kite related things that I can do indoors at my house to hold my interest like drawing them with crayons or something, but it won't involve going outside in the snow, ice and cold to do it.

The list, so far, includes: watch iQuad DVD, download tutorials, look at kites sitting in basement, admire race rod set, read forum. Probably need a few more to get through the six months of it.

Bart

around here the coldest we usually get is usually right around 20's so i usually dont have to worry about negative temps here...usually

Assuming you mean 20F that is -7C in my world which is too cold for me if there is any kind of wind. After a month of it being -35 or -40, though, -7 will seem quite nice before the temps plunge into the deep freeze again! On a positive note, here it is a dry cold, not a damp cold which is worse yet.

Bart

The list, so far, includes: watch iQuad DVD, download tutorials, look at kites sitting in basement, admire race rod set, read forum. Probably need a few more to get through the six months of it.

Bart

Well, you'll be happy to know that I'm going to start making tutorial videos starting in mid-November hopefully soon after Camas Indoor.

Err, are you on glue? :kid_smartass:

How do you feel anything in the controls with mitts on? I can't stand being wrapped up like that to stay warm. I just won't go out in those kind of temperatures except to move between work, the grocery store and home. I barely can stand being outside once it gets less than +20 degrees so the couple days I flew when it was just 15 was already pushing it for me. No way I'd be out with it below freezing.

No, I'm not on glue. I was trying to give you some options for Winter flying.

I fly with gloves on regularly this time of year- as much to help keep the goose poop off as to keep my fingers warm. I can feel the controls just fine with gloves on.

I'm just trying to say that it is possible to fly in cold weather. Same as flying in the rain. Right equipment plus the right attitude and it can be done. It was raining today and I could've stayed inside and complained, but I got out there and flew. If you want to fly badly enough, you can find a way to do it.

Check out what snowmobliers, ice fishermen, skiers and other Winter sports use and adapt it to kite flying.

Well, you'll be happy to know that I'm going to start making tutorial videos starting in mid-November hopefully soon after Camas Indoor.

Yes, I saw that you posted this somewhere. I will be looking forward to seeing them when they are ready.

Bart