The humble ground stake

Here's a couple more I put together this afternoon.

I modified the design, you can see I removed the nut and washer for a smoother finish. I measured how many threads would go into the beer tap and then cut the bolt so it only had that many threads. Then I coated both the internal threads on the beer tap and the threads on the bolt with thread lock.

I like the results.

-Alden

Well, well. I have been wanting to make a couple stakes using beer tap handles, and recently scored a couple.

Can you please tell me what type of bolts you used and where you found them?

I'd like to make a couple for Christmas gifts.

Thanks!

Bill

At first I was all:

post-3588-13552814297897_thumb.jpg

Then I was like:

post-3588-13552813711005_thumb.jpg

Kite stake!

I made that one for fun with a 4 inch stone marble ball, and 1/2 inch diameter steel rod. I've since modified the rod by having a friend weld a ring to it so that I can use it to stake off my big SLKs. The marble isn't actually attached so that I can use a big hammer to pound the stake into the ground.

The length of it would make it pretty good for sand, I imagine. I'm currently in Antarctica and there is simply no soil. It's ice I can't get a stake into or rocks. I use a "sand anchor" (or snow anchor) and put a stone in the pouch. It works OK but not great. I have to MacGyver a better hook to keep the handles from getting tangled. Ideas?

The length of it would make it pretty good for sand, I imagine. I'm currently in Antarctica and there is simply no soil. It's ice I can't get a stake into or rocks. I use a "sand anchor" (or snow anchor) and put a stone in the pouch. It works OK but not great. I have to MacGyver a better hook to keep the handles from getting tangled. Ideas?

Pictures please! Add them to the "flying your rev in famous places" thread. I'm pretty sure there are no other shots of Revs in Antarctica.

Could you sew a velcro loop onto the anchor bag, and then loop that around the ends of the handles? You can get velcro at your local Walmart . . . oh wait wink.gif

Just kidding. Got a carabiner? I sometimes clip the handles to my kite bag with a carabiner if I don't have a stake handy. If there's a handle on the anchor, you can clip the carabiner to that.

• 1 year later...

I've been making some really nice stakes of late. If anyone is interested, I am selling them here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts Past designs can be viewed in the link on the left side of the page right under the ratings.

I will most definitely make custom color combinations upon request, and I should let you all know that I intend on being at the Wildwood Festival this year. If you would like me to make something for you, please let me know!

post-1408-0-58128800-1398438797_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...