Prism Line OK?

jbrooks515

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to make a 30ft line set for my EXP but funds are too tight to purchase at the moment. I have a Prism Nexus kite laying around that came with 90# x 65' of spectra line that doesn't get used anymore. Can I cut that set down to make a 30ft set for my REV? Didn't know how good that brand would do as a quad set so I figured I would rely on some expert opinions on this. Has anyone tried it? Would it be better to just hold off until I can get a laser pro set? Thanx

• Like 2

I wouldn't be too concerned about quality on a 30ft line set as you are likely to be flying alone and you won't be racking up too many wraps and line stretch is not going to be a big issue. But I wouldn't recommend skimping on longer line set, especially if you are likely to be flying with others as cheap line will cut quality line like a knife through butter if you get locked up.

Its the stock line that came with the kite as a package so I'm guessing it is Modulus line. Have my 85ft set theat came with my EXP - just wanted (and needed) a shorter set. And I do fly alone as there is really no1 else I know who has a REV. Thanks guys

I have done exactly that to make a quad set in order to fly in smaller areas. I wound up with five Nexus line sets when I bought five blue Nexus RTF kites that I needed to make my "Blue Meanies" stack of kites. So with some of the extra sets I made a 65' quad set & a 30' quad set & still had two dual line sets left. I really like the 65' line length as I can see what the kite is doing better & still have a good size window to fly within. The 30' quad set is fun as the kite is very close & seems huge compared to the view with a more typical 85' line length. Things happen fast with the smaller wind window of the 30' set. But the set up is quick with the shorter amount of line to unwind. I also made a quad set out of two extra 50' x 50# Prism line sets. There is much discussion about team flying so I did buy a 120' x 90# LPG set in case I ever run into a team flying opportunity. Flown that set only twice just to see what a bigger flying window was like with a Rev. But mostly I am just a solo hill billie kite flailer. SHBKF

• Like 1

Just got through making this Line set and I think I did pretty good considering it was my first. Only had 1 line shorter than the other 3. Others all matched. Now I can't wait to get out and fly on em. Of course the one evening I really want to fly.... Now wind at all. So hopefully tomorrow will be good. Thanks for the input guys and I'll keep you posted.

I'm still in the learning stage so any wind I can get is better than none at all. And yea, I did adjust the 4th line to make them all match. From what I've read, a lot of people prefer a shorter line set and I think I will be one of them. I'm about to skip out on my lunch break from work and see how these do.

• Like 1