Pro Extra Vented in high wind vs B2 Vented

genesant

Question

When it is blowing hard enough that the sand is being picked up off the beach I usually put away my Vented 1.5 and switch to my Vented B2. But when it is blowing too hard for the Vented B2, is the Pro Extra Vent the next step? I was flying my B2 Vented to the sides and top of the window yesterday to minimize the pull. I measured around 25 mph with some much higher gusts. I would have liked something that pulled less because after 3 hours of wind and rain I was wiped out.

I am wondering if anyone has flown both the named kites on the same day, in the same wind, and can give me a comparison. I drive to the coast maybe 4-5 times a year to fly so - - I fly no matter what the weather is doing. Wanting a little more top end capacity even though there has been only 3 trips I would have used it.

22 answers to this question

Alden's one would indeed go higher, but it has a very different feel to it.

That's part of the reason the Pro is designed the way it is - consistency across the set. I prefer that instead of having to adjust just because I changed sails.

That said, I'd still want one of Aldens revs should they ever be put into production (with a few minor differences)

Is that a full vent B2?? I've had the xtra vent out in up to 30 mph gusts before! But I've not flown a vented B2, in any form, yet!! I have flown Alden's "Vicki", a string style kite based on the Rev shape! Basically just a frame and and a few strips of fabric!!

Most likely fly in a hurricane!! ani_idea.gif

That kite is amazing ! It's more air than sail. Makes me wonder how it handles. He was flying it at Wildwood last year, the wind was gusting up close to 40mph. The full vent was pulling me around like a power kite.

P1090387.JPG

the other thing that's really fun in huge wind is a stack of minis!

I have sets for lower winds (42 inch leading edge ~ SS spine 2-P, no-sew construction). If you wanted to fly 12-pack (or to fly them in bigger wind), you insert a separate point 125 carbon tube INSIDE the 2-P leading edge for the first 3 kites in the stack

and

for when the coast guard won't leave harbor (36 inch leading edge ~ point 157 tube), minimum 25 mph steady, minimum. These kites go at warp speed, flown on only the thickness of your thumbs, a two handed command will send 24 wraps in a heartbeat! I've had 'em out in 55 mph wind, barring in mind you need tight fitting goggles and sand blast-proof garments, or to hide behind some type of structure.

These kites are best flown on the TC Ultra handles because of the holes. You can stake down and set-up with the angle predefined exactly.

Dugard made the micro-minis & Ames made the minis, both are two tons of fun in a small package, but be warned they are the final exam of your PhD in quads. First rule, FLY the back kite. Second rule is to stop holding your breath and relax, 3rd, limit stationary hover and backing up or they will begin an oscillation vortex which leads to the creation of a black hole!

If a 1.5 Rev is Made with more venting than the current Xtra.... I will not buy it. No, for those days where the wind is that strong you'll find me inside watching kite videos. I understand the need for such a kite in a performance environment (kite festival/demo/team/comp flying)...

Thanks kwmf. Your speaking from experience with both kites, right? I've always respected your evaluations. You saved me purchasing the extra vent 1.5.

I do like my B2 Vent. I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more feedback from those that have both the mentioned kites in their bags.

@SkyPuppet

I dont have the luxury of 120' lines to slow the kite, so unless I ride the brakes I will develop pull in a great hurry and run out of window fast. I have many days where one more level of venting would be most welcome and I would not be getting sand blasted.

@genesant

Yes,I own a full B2, Pro and Polo set and have flown them all to their upper and lower limits.

I think the B2 is more of a solo pilots toy since the 1.5 platform is far better for team... And most people here seem to not fly solo that much. That may partially account for the lack of feedback... That and people are (wrongly) afraid of its 'speed and twitchy' nature.

I originally thought I would like a B2 Xtra vent, but I find myself far more drawn to the 1.5 platform because it's just a better all around package. I still like my B2,but given the choice I will fly a 1.5 based setup.

The fact that people are actively using a B2 for more wind than an Xtra can be comfortable at, people keep asking if the Polo or B2 takes more wind, that people want an Xtra B2 or an Aldens Vicky rev... These things all tell me that something more than an Xtra is being asked for

I hear ya kwmf.

Where I live, quite inland, my Xtra is, by far, far, the least used kite in my quiver. I won't buy a step above what I barely use now. I also rarely have the luxury of flying 120s, but I never see conditions that force problems like you are seeing.

Bazzer dropped a hint on FB about a XX-Xtra setup being worked on. Who knows if it will see production anytime soon but for the crazy high winds folk there might be hope.

For me, I can't justify anything that's a higher wind range than a full vent pro or shook 100%,.... neither of which have many hours on them, despite years of ownership. Rigged, framed up properly, right line-set selected these kites are good to gusts of 35 mph.

B2 full sail ~ rigged out can take pretty big wind and still be fun, but most of the time it's SULs, no-wind and indoor style kites in my community. Dave Ashworth for example, carries 17 indoor worthy home-builts, most are quads, totally unfair to other kites, effortless. New pilots are always sent to him, so they too can experience the difference between stock vs. crafted for one very specific environment by a master.

Most people would never need this level of addiction to no-wind equipment. The same can be said for the other extreme. How many folks are willing to buy a kite for 400 bucks that they might use once every 3 years when the wind is blowing over porta-potties? Is it worth the time to develop that kite and layout the manufacturing patterns when only 50 or 100 units can be expected as a market? Do you honestly think that those few buyers would be willing to incur all the set-up, tooling, and development/testing labor costs, split equally into their kite's sale price?

There's a larger market share in low wind, everyone experiences it unless you fly coastal exclusively and get up after breakfast is no longer served! I still crave it there, so early mornings are "my time" at the beach. Want to hang light-sets? Again, that is much easier to fly with on a lower wind kite (than you would expect). Better overpowered than under I say, you can always land or move off to the side, at least flight is possible!

How many of us want a kite that barely lifts off at 28 and works comfortably well in 50 mph also?

• Like 1

Over here on the West Coast, I fly coastal and inland valley winds! My most used kites are my Zen, Pro std, and x/v! Winds on the coast usually are plenty strong, especially in spring! Summertime has wild fluctuations as seen last year at Lincoln City! Saturday day was barely there winds, just enough to keep some of us flying! All the big stuff was grounded! That evening the wind came out with plenty of zip and people came crawling out of the woodwork to fly after a day of frustration!! This spring JB had a clinic in Long Beach WA. that needed full or x/vents to survive! So the extremes seem to be needing the most attention, IMHO!!

I have a B2 mid-vent, and generally fly it in winds a bit above a 1.5 full vent comfort zone. I have flown it in the same winds as an extra vent, and my impression was that the extra vent was sluggish and pulled more. BUT that was the first time I flew an extra-vent, and have since flown extra-vents in groups, and appreciate it much more.

B2 mid-vent, in my opinion, is much more responsive and much lighter pull than a 1.5. OTOH, I agree that the 1.5 series is the best match for group/team flying. The B2 is great for developing reaction times, and for less strenuous high wind flying.

I have not flown a B2 full vent or standard, so can only extrapolate.

If you can afford a full set of 1.5s, and have enough cash left for some B2s, I believe you will enjoy solo flying with the B2s.