Right near the beach..... BOY-EEE

I'm headed to San Diego in just over a month and a half, for some R+R cool.gif This will be my first time flying on the beach! Since I live inland, however, I feel that I am a little unprepared...... I could use some advice and recommendations on what I should bring with me and how I should prepare my Revs.

Suncreen? Yeah "check".

Swimsuit? Check.

Revs?? Check check check check check.

????????????

Please chime in with tips on how to properly prepare for a day of Rev flying at the beach!! Please don't limit tips to just Rev stuff - if there is a piece of gear, a way around, a way to clean up the Rev, or beach etiquette I should know of please post it!!

You should be aware that smooth ocean winds take a while to get used to. I'm sure you'll miss the comfort of your usual inland winds. A stake suitable for sand? Contact info for SD fliers? Some sort of beach blanket is nice for setting up. Sand gets everywhere. Probably don't want to pack one, though. ipod/phone goes in a ziploc or other bag to protect from sand. Even when you are using it. If you drop it in the sand, it's not good. Hat with a wide brim, you've got one already I'm sure. Are you manly enough for a scarf for sun protection? Bazzer and Terry are.

@mbro - Ok good call! I'm driving down with my sister, plenty of space in the rental to bring chairs and maybe a pop-up shelter. Ooo - o rings for sure. Genius!

@katrina - hehe you crack me up!! I'm sure after experiencing the smooth beach wind I'll be looking to sell everything I own to move there tongue.gif the blanket is a good call, and so is the plastic bags for phones and the iPod. Good stuff!! No not manly enough for a scarf, I'll be looking to tan-up a little.

@SS - thankfully, not flying (in a plane)! Saving some cash there my friend! I be stakin'. And the fun is a guarantee! I'm sure I'll be nervous when setting up, at first - heck I still get butterflies in my stomach when first setting up on my home field - but I'll find my groove with the quickness and then its all the way on wink.gif

Can anyone recommend footwear for the beach? My feet aren't tough at all, and filling my sneakers with sand is out of the question.

Those "pull over the heel" sandals, that have slits on the sides, make pretty good footwear!! You get some sand in there, but you can get it out pretty easily!!

The lip gloss sunscreen is very good, make sure to get as high a SPF rating as you can!!

Tan? Burn is more like it!! Remember, you brought up the need to watch out for possible problems!! UPF rated shirts are a must!! kid_devlish.gif

Don't forget some tunes to fly by!!smile.gif

Tan? Burn is more like it!! Remember, you brought up the need to watch out for possible problems!! UPF rated shirts are a must!! kid_devlish.gif

smile.gif That's my boy. Good looking out man.

I'll be covered in SPF 50 sunscreen - I tan right through it. It takes longer to tan and I never burn! I brown up the right way and I'm not looking to get tan quickly. I make sure to alternate, with my shirt on for an hour, off for an hour etc. Due to my partial southern Italian heritage, I start off with a little more color in my complexion than most, so I'm not at major risks, and I've taken care of myself for quite some time now, but thanks for the reminders!!

Ok sandals with a back to them. Cheap ones maybe lol.

Tunes are a for sure!! Can't decide if a cheap little battery powered radio is the way to go.... or I could bring my iPod and headphones and keep the music to myself kid_devlish.gif

Maybe a small cooler too. If I don't eat every 2 hours or so I get a little crazy wacko.gif

ipod baby, ipod. Problem with dropping an ipod or iphone in the sand is getting sand in the docking port. How do I know this? I had to replace mine. That little port controls a lot more than charging, it turns out. But you need an ipod at the beach, if you are flying solo. Just put a piece of tape over the port, maybe. I also have a few scratches on my screen, from when I oh so carefully put my phone in a nice little bag to protect it, but hey, the bag had sand in it too. In the words of (an angry) surfer at KP, "this is a beach. It's not a place for flying kites." Dang sand.

Shoes: Some people wear crocs. Some wear tevas. How they stand sand in, sand out, I don't know. Is it going to bother you?

UPF shirt: You figure you've got sunscreen, so you don't need one. And you don't. But picture this: Sunscreen. Lots of sticky sunscreen. And blowing sand. ew.

Sunglasses that don't cost a lot. Because they also might get dropped in the sand and scratched.

Yes to figuring out a way to bring lunch down to the beach, because no way are you packing up to go find lunch, right?

If you're not manly enough for a scarf (I meant "bandana") I know I won't be seeing you in this attire, but it's an excuse to post the pic again.

How to not sunburn your legs:

6957027779_c94e1f5c59_n.jpg

(I covet Terry's gecko design. I did find a very cool dragon design though.)

Agreed with all of the above.

Bring somebody to fly kites with you. It's more fun to fly team!

You might just want to buy a case of water to go in that cooler - I went through a lot of water at KP (and every time I'm on the beach). Lots of snacks too . . . . then you don't have to stop flying except to get rid of the water (bio breaks).

Lots of sunscreen . . . if you're like me, once you're on the beach you'll be out there all day, even if the wind is not cooperating. You'll be there just in case it decides to start blowing. And reapply it often (i.e. 3-4 times a day). Just go to wally world and buy the biggest bottle of 50 proof SPF they've got.

For music, I'd go with headphones, unless you are flying team with others. Just my personal preference - I prefer zoning out with the kite when I'm flying by myself. I've never had a problem with getting sand in the phone or music player (but then I don't get to spend as much time on the beach as Katrina). I'd think canned air or a compressor (gently) would blow the sand out, if any got in the ports. I usually wear cargo shorts with big, deep pockets for the phone & devices. Put the car keys in something that zips up - don't want to lose them. Better yet, have two keys in two different (safe) places. At least one person lost their keys while flying on the beach at KP10.

I always bring more than one line set. If the beach isn't crowded, I like to set up multiple kites - so I can switch from SUL to full sail to vented to full sail to SUL as the wind changes during the day . . . or just for variety. You can put out a speed series and a 1.5 and mess around with the other one when you need a change of pace. Or you can put out a beater kite in case someone is interested and wants to learn.

As far as cleaning the Revs, you can fly them into the water biggrin.gif . . . and I know you know how to do that from your videos. However, the ocean is not quite as smooth as a small pond . . . . so you might get knocked down. OK, the ocean won't help with the cleaning that much (unless you like salty kites), but it is fun. In reality, you can set them up and rinse them off in the shower.

Even if you "seal" the caps with orings, you're going to get sand in the caps. Then the rods won't want to pull out. Try "snapping" them with a fingernail a few times to get the sand to move around a little, and they should loosen up. That seems to work for me (most of the time).

Oh yeah, and bring the camera. You'll need a new avatar of your kite and the sunset . . . and you'll need to be posting some video here, just to make those of us landlocked in the midwest jealous.

Have fun!

smile.gif Thanks for the tips everyone!! Really good stuff here - you won't hear me saying, "gee if I only brought ___" this year!

@ katrina - great tips - this is the stuff they don't tell you in the travel guides!! Tape over ports on electrical gear, "check"! Also, I didn't think about the sand blowing around (which is funny as I am a kite flier hoping to see some wind at the beach tongue.gif). Sand in the shoe/flipflop/sandal/etc. does sound irritating, but I better bring something just in case. Damn, cheap sunglasses..... mine are prescription, I'm going to have to take my chances or there will be some obliviot injuries that week!

My "manliness" doesn't hold a candle to those 2 gents and their attire laugh.gif

@ goestoeleven - excellent thinking on rinsing Revs off in the hotel shower! Great tips for getting sand out of the rods and endcaps too. I'll definitely be bringing the camera ;) My sister Beth and I are so close, she'll be on vacation with me smile.gif she's not much for Rev flying, but it might be time to for her to try once again while we're out there! If anything she'll run the camera - she is so excited to help me shoot another video.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I will take you up on that Ben!! I'll send you a PM as it gets closer to June.

Better bring a van or a bus (j/k I'll have a rental car) because I'm going to have a lot of stuff -

sunscreen

lots of water

hats

chairs

beach shelters

beach blanket

radio

ipod

towels

cooler with food and drinks

electrical tape

sunglasses

sandals and flip flops

cameras

camera tripods

Revolution kites

o-rings

stakes

mutliple line sets

sister (hehe)

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! Am I missing anything confused_1.gif

And the one no one mentioned.

The Revolution factory is up in the hills above San Diego, in a little place called Poway. I just CANNOT imagine not stopping by if you are in the area.........

My thoughts exactly! Will PM or call to see if its ok first, and make sure at least Lolly is there :)

Hi Skypuppet !!!

So cool to have you on our turf/ sand- or Mission Bay- nice green grass !!

(I wear socks with my crocs in the sand.)

Thanks for coming to see ME at the shop.

See you in June.

My thoughts exactly! Will PM or call to see if its ok first, and make sure at least Lolly is there smile.gif

Here's hoping it's like the Bud or Miller brewery tour, with some samples at the end! Just kidding . . . of course . . . wishing i could visit too

Hey Lolly!! Can't wait to meet you smile.gif

I think I will use your tip, and possibly wear socks with my beach footwear... Damn these unspoiled, soft, pink-hued, tender feet of mine!! They're useless!

Swimsuit? It is the beach, after all . . . you might want a swimsuit for when you are flying your rev while standing in the ocean ;)

Good lord!! I almost left without the swimsuit!! So much for going "commando" at the beach kid_frustrated.gif

Hmmm. Wondering if the Pacific is warm enough in June to even bother trying to swim in.

Hey Lolly!! Can't wait to meet you smile.gif

I think I will use your tip, and possibly wear socks with my beach footwear... Damn these unspoiled, soft, pink-hued, tender feet of mine!! They're useless!

I couldn't stand to get sand in socks on the beach. Sandals, suncreen is my preference.

Good lord!! I almost left without the swimsuit!! So much for going "commando" at the beach kid_frustrated.gif

Hmmm. Wondering if the Pacific is warm enough in June to even bother trying to swim in.

I didn't say anything about swimming. Beaches are for flying kites. Oceans are a place to stand while flying kites. :)

I haven't seen the mention of a cart or something to carry all that stuff to your spot on the beach, I know the o-rings are small, but, it's the other stuff that keeps adding up. Something I like doing is freezing some of that lots of water, it keeps the food and drinks cold and you can drink it as it thaws.

@ hyzakite - excellent recommendation!! I was thinking I would just sling most of this crap over my shoulder while Beth helped me carry the cooler, but now I'm definitely thinking about finding/buying a cheap cart to make it easier!

In my experience, cheap cart + soft beach sand = worse than no cart. Unless you get something with big, fat wheels I wouldn't bother.

I didn't say anything about swimming. Beaches are for flying kites. Oceans are a place to stand while flying kites. :)

I'm with you Steve. Did we go anywhere near that gorgeous sparkling ocean in 5 days at KP? No we did not. Because we are so hardcore. :rockon::matrix: And also the water was full of angry surfers who didn't like us much.

@ Kahl - thanks for the tip, brother. Big ATV type wheels on a cart?? Check.

I'm sure at KP the air was full of angry kites that didn't like surfers too much!!

The air is for kites; the water is for surfing. So what the hell is the beach for?? A place for kite fliers and surfers to square off, it would seem... Guess I better add a taser to my list of things to bring. J/K!!

I feel (somewhat) sorry for the idiot surfer who tries to give me lip during my vacation.