Short Lineset - What length?

stryker2

Question

I'm looking to split an existing lineset, so I can have both a short and medium length lineset.

My question is:

What is a suitable length for a short Lineset for my ordered 1.5 SUL?

Somewhere in the 16 to 20 foot range perhaps? .... or is there a "standard"  short line length?

Thanking you in advance for your advice and suggestions.

13 answers to this question

well i never split a line set i usually by the dacron line by the roll and make sets out of that if you want to shorten your lines just use a ground stake secure your lines then untie your sleeves and slide them up your lines to the length you want and then tie them up and cut away the rest you can get flying line by the roll its a bit pricy that way but you can make 4 line sets out of it any website will have your shop should have it too just get that and a sleeving kit and you are set

I have enough line sets, I usually take my oldest, most worn out line set and cut it up for stuff like this.

For short lines, I generally go with 25-30 feet... Long enough to still fly around a little, and short enough to easily pull the kite out of the sky and into my hands (3-D flying).

Thanks guys.

I have an old lineset which I am going to split, I wouldn't dream of splitting a new set.

I have ordered 2 sleeving kits and an extra winder, so that should suffice.  This will be my 1st. attempt at sleeving  :)

So I'm going to make my short line set 25 feet (Thanks John)

Antman, since I couldn't make a decision wheather to get the standard or vented SS, I ordered a 1.5 SUL in rainbow instead for now. A much needed acquisition for those no to low wind days, which are all too common in the summer here in Toronto.

Don't bother adding the sleeving on the short set, ... you'll want to flick the kite around and that's just another catch/tangle point.

Carefully examine your leading edge and insure that the caps (on the down-spars) don't stick up above the edge.  Whilst learning the axel and other slack line stuff you don't want a catch point when the kite lands on top of the bridles leading edge facing you.  To recover you need to slide the flying lines underneath while rotating the kite 180 degrees.  Then you can REVERSE launch and not have to walk down wind and set-up all over again!

When you tie your new loops just add a second little knot at the middle before making the loop.  Then you have a knot to assist in the releasing the flying lines, but no tangle points when slack.

Examine your handles just as carefully, where will you catch a line when there's all this slack?  Replace your handle adjustment leaders with 100# Hi-Test Bridle line and use as few knots as possible on the leaders.  Sleeving and 200# darcon leaders are a sure catch-point.  Don't overlook the handles!

Guest Guest_beach_*
Thanks antman.  I definitely want to get a set and try them out. I'm hoping they are available in the same colors. Let me know

Stryker I'm glad all worked out and I'm here to tell you that things do happen, I know Mark personally and know that he tries to stay on top of things. When your pushing as hard as we in the busineess push some times things fall in the cracks no matter how hard you try not to let that happen, what counts is how you handle the problem after your made aware of the situation. My personal feeling about Mark and his products are that he does right by people as I try myself, but I'm here to tell you that I've made lots of mistakes in this business but I try to not let them happen twice and when I can I make them right.........Ben

I'm looking to split an existing lineset, so I can have both a short and medium length lineset.

My question is:

What is a suitable length for a short Lineset for my ordered 1.5 SUL?

Somewhere in the 16 to 20 foot range perhaps? .... or is there a "standard" short line length?

Thanking you in advance for your advice and suggestions.

I once asked about this... and I woas told to get 30ftx90# line.