Best Rev for windy conditions?

ian-blackpool-uk

Question

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first Rev (trading up from a dual line kite) but I cannot decide which one would be best. I will be flying it on the coast of North West England which is quite windy (not to mention cold). I would estimate I would be flying in winds over 15 mph?

I've read a lot of the other posts but as I will be new to quad line kites, I don't want to buy something which is too difficult to fly and to be honest, I don't really understand a lot of the terminology! Also, as the price of the kites is high, having two is not an option.

Grateful for any help!

Ian

7 answers to this question

Marshall gave you good advice. The only additional suggestion/modification is to find some Rev fliers before you buy your kite. Even if you have to drive a ways, it'll be worth your time.

Rev fliers do love to share the virus knowledge. You'll definitely get an opportunity to see what the more experienced folks are flying. And, knowing Rev fliers - and the Brits in particular - you'll most likely get a chance to fly their kites. Ask lots of questions and listen to their advice ... you'll end up with the best "local" answer.

Cheers and good luck,

Tom

• Like 2

I'm sure others will chime in, but my two cents worth is the full vent. I'm relatively new and learning but contend more with light wind. I flew a mid vent in 10-12 and loved it. Last weekend I was out in 42 deg F with 15-16 mph winds steady. The full vent was perfect in that wind. Controllable, smooth a real pleasure to fly. I spent over two hours flying the same kite. It was great. My first kite was the full sail and when I had it up in strong winds it was over powered and hard to control. The full vent will be hard to keep up when the wind drops below about 12 mph, but if you get steady wind around 15 mph I would get the full vent.

I also recommend finding some fellow rev fliers to hang out with early on. I struggled until I went to the Carolina Kite Festival where I met several great people who seemed to fight over the chance to help me out. I finally "got" it and have been on a tear ever since. Also watch the JB videos on all the basics. Set up, lines, basic flying. They really help. I'll add one tip of my own. When you are done, make sure your lines are straight before disconnecting the kite. Even if you have to rotate it by hand to undo the twists, do it with the kite connected and some tension on the lines. My first flight was on 100' lines and simple things like snags, etc got me twirled many times. I thought I will untangle them at home and disconnected the lines. I'll never do that again. It took my son, his GF and I over 3 hours to untangle that mess.

This forum has many flyers from the UK. Meet up. If you have 15+ mph they will probably seek up out.

Marshall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am new to the game, but yesterday i borrowed a full vented 1.5b rev with green race rods from another rev flier on the beach. The wind was around 13-15 mph, stable, and it was a joy to fly. My full sail kite would be broken with that wind conditions.

Got to find a full vented :)

• Like 1

You'll find that those who fly regularly have at least 2 or 3 sails in their bags! To fly in most conditions, you would want at least a std and a vented! Many have a mid vent too! Each has a "sweet spot" of wind conditions that really brings out the best in each sail!! Think golfer here - would you go out to the course with only 1 or 2 clubs in your bag? Nope!! They aren't going to do that!! Same for most fliers, we want equipment that matches the days conditions!!

• Like 2