Power Blast 2-4 hover mode

Bmwbob

Yesterday, I flew in the typical 7mph to zero variable winds here at KSC where I work.

I'm trying to get this 2-4 down a little better before I pull the PB 4-8 I just bought out of the bag.

I tried hovering the kite, leading edge up. It would either go up (when the wind came up), or slide back down and land when the wind dropped. I couldn't get it to hold its position.

I can make my 1.5 Rev park just about anywhere, so this response is a new one to me.

I'm fairly certain I was not over controlling the kite.

Is this just what you get with a heavier kite and light, variable winds, or is there something else I need to consider?

I have the line trim set at a point that lets me go from power on to power off fairly easily, so I wouldn't want to change that unless I must.

Any ideas?

My buggy is supposed to arrive Saturday and I hope to begin some rolling flying sessions soon.

Bob

Watching the kite, it looks like a fishing bobber on a wavy lake as the wind comes up and down.

When it begins to sink, no amount of "thumbs back" will stop it.

I suppose if I stepped back briskly, that would do it, but that's a Band Aid when I need a splint! :-)

And, I can stop the upward motion when the wind comes up with "thumbs forward" if I catch it in time.

I'm just trying to envision what I will do when seated in the buggy and stepping back and forth are not options.

It really sounds like its just the goofy wind playing with me.

Bob

This has no bearing on any of the Blast series, just a general observation!

Sunday, I flew with several "less experienced" fliers, still using the stock handles and pigtails to fly their kites! I tried to help one person regain some field in the light wind! I came off as some "noob" flier not knowing a thing!! The stock handles and settings felt foreign in my hands, this after using long top pigtails for many years!! In the light winds we had, the stock settings gave the kite too much forward bite into the wind and didn't let the sail "square up" to take as much advantage as possible of what wind we had! It kept feeling "light" and not full of air! I'm sure that adding leaders and setting them to let the kite sit back, would have really helped!

Bob - I understand your not wanting to move, to see what happens, but I've found Rev flying to be more than a "static" flying experience!!

I've already dumped the short stock pigtails for some much longer ones with a bunch of knots in them.

When I'm just static flying, I move around a lot.

With the 2-4, some of it is even MY idea! :-)

What I'm trying to simulate is being in the buggy where I won't be able to move forward or back.

Of course, with the buggy moving, it will be a whole new ball game.

I was just wondering if there was some dumb little thing I was overlooking that was making the 2-4 a lot harder to hover (in very light variable winds) than my 1.5 is.

Bob

• Like 1

You won't be hovering the kite while in the buggy. Once you start moving, the Blast will be moving as well. Hovering is not really possible. Think of it as shooting the Blast out towards the edge, but the edge never arrives.

That's a useful analogy, Kent!

Thanks!

Bob