Rougham 2010

dazlarsen

I always like to do Rougham though usually only do one day, somehow it all seems a bit wintery at the moment to be making definite plans that far ahead but I reckon there’s a way better than evens chance I will be there for at least one day.

. . . . . I was talking to Martin Corrie yesterday about the camping

He confirmed it was a turn up and pay affair. . . . .

Is that definitive I thought in previous years camping had to be pre-booked?

I always like to do Rougham though usually only do one day, somehow it all seems a bit wintery at the moment to be making definite plans that far ahead but I reckon there's a way better than evens chance I will be there for at least one day.

Is that definitive I thought in previous years camping had to be pre-booked?

He told me not - always worth a double check though I suppose

• 1 month later...

Not long now folks.....

@ bonefish,I will look you up on friday mate,we will be there later in the afternoon

@Martin,felix,Ashley Looking forward to meeting you all

@jay looking forward to flying with you again

looking forward to meeting and flying with new friends.....

there is a rev corner set out on the flying site,thats where I will be for most of the festival.Come and say hello,and have a fly

Ben its a great festival (when the weather is ok) shame you are so far away,it would be cool to fly with you

I have been checking the weather every day and the weekend is looking good at the moment,fingers crossed it stays the way its forecast

Not long now folks.....

@ bonefish,I will look you up on friday mate,we will be there later in the afternoon

@Martin,felix,Ashley Looking forward to meeting you all

@jay looking forward to flying with you again

looking forward to meeting and flying with new friends.....

there is a rev corner set out on the flying site,thats where I will be for most of the festival.Come and say hello,and have a fly

Ben its a great festival (when the weather is ok) shame you are so far away,it would be cool to fly with you

I have been checking the weather every day and the weekend is looking good at the moment,fingers crossed it stays the way its forecast

Daz,

Good to know that there is a designated area. Ben may or may not be in a sunny mood <grins>

The forecast is looking a bit better...

Felix

<snip>

Hi Daz,

Great to fly with you and everyone else today. We found the 'weather' driving back into London... Very wet indeed!

Felix

A couple of good day's flying in the Rougham micro climate ( was also very wet on the way back to the coast ) was good to meet up with old friend's and a chance to make some new one's, it was also a pleasure to have an opportunity to have a fly with the Decorator's, look forward to doing it again sometime.

Hi Daz,

Great to fly with you and everyone else today. We found the 'weather' driving back into London... Very wet indeed!

Felix

Felix

It was a pleasure to be able to fly with you guys today.Thanks for coming and I will catch up with you at Blackheath.We also found the weather as we drove home,just happy it was where it was and not at rougham.So till the next time

have a good 1

Woops! Guess who has just went on Fecebook and found out that he was supposed to have been at Rougham today? Sorry folks I thought it was next week. :blushing:

Though I can't say I'm too disappointed about missing a re-run of last night's encounter with the A421 diversion. Don't you just love The Highways Commission?

Woops! Guess who has just went on Fecebook and found out that he was supposed to have been at Rougham today? Sorry folks I thought it was next week. :blushing:

Though I can't say I'm too disappointed about missing a re-run of last night's encounter with the A421 diversion. Don't you just love The Highways Commission?

Ah! That explains it... I knew that someone was missing but could not figure out who it was!

See you at Blackheath maybe for the 'not the formal grid/team fly'. Hoping that everyone will feel comfortable about turning up and taking part after the Ainsdale/Penshaw/Rougham events...

Remember, it helps if we are all on 'consistent' lines/lengths/kites <grins>

Felix

So that would be about 117 feet 6 1/4 inches then? :blue-grin:

Andy,

There may be practical reasons why a group of fliers may decide to add 30 inch leaders to their lines but when it comes to setting up grid flying sadly this will make things significantly more difficult. Binocular vision really does not work at 120 ft as far as I can tell so the next best thing is to identify the relative position of fliers on the ground as I am sure you are well aware. When it comes to 'stacking' kites in the air, very small adjustments in position can make the difference between success and failure. I am constantly finding fliers who appear to have no feel for the balance point at which the stacked kites can be moved around the sky effortlessly. Obviously there is more work to do...

<grins>

Felix

So what is needed is a generous sponsor so that provides lots of matched sets of lines for those taking part.

Or a predefined length and make of line and someone acting as police: wrong line/length and you can't join in.

You should have seen us flying dual line megateams at Rougham, Fury vented, Fury std, Lithium vented, T4 vented; line lengths from 120ft to 155ft; 3 novices in the line. You had it easy :-)

So what is needed is a generous sponsor so that provides lots of matched sets of lines for those taking part.

Or a predefined length and make of line and someone acting as police: wrong line/length and you can't join in.

You should have seen us flying dual line megateams at Rougham, Fury vented, Fury std, Lithium vented, T4 vented; line lengths from 120ft to 155ft; 3 novices in the line. You had it easy :-)

Keith

I never got to see dual line megateam fly as we were so far down the runway,would have been interesting to see on the various line lengths

Hi, there is a very practical reason a lot of us use line leader's/extender's, however if I ever get to take part in serious mega team flying as opposed to the fun stuff we were doing at Rougham, they would of course be removed as it only takes a few moment's, as a matter of interest and being a bit sad I have just measured my arm's they are 31 inches long, does one make an allowance in line length when using the long arm technique smile.gif

ps before anyone ask's I do not and have not flown power kites.

Keith

I never got to see dual line megateam fly as we were so far down the runway,would have been interesting to see on the various line lengths

Hi Daz,

I remember line length discussions from some time back (1980s I suspect) <grins>

There are now in excess of 70 Rev fliers set to attend the Washington State International Kite Festival event at Long Beach WA in August and they are hoping to put together a 'very large mega team'. Would any of your group be in a position to attend the event?

Felix

Hi, there is a very practical reason a lot of us use line leader's/extender's, however if I ever get to take part in serious mega team flying as opposed to the fun stuff we were doing at Rougham, they would of course be removed as it only takes a few moment's, as a matter of interest and being a bit sad I have just measured my arm's they are 31 inches long, does one make an allowance in line length when using the long arm technique smile.gif

ps before anyone ask's I do not and have not flown power kites.

Hi Wobbly,

Very well said <grins>

The 'long arm technique' has certainly not been adopted in mega team flying at this stage as far as I am aware. Equally, moving collectively, on the ground has only been tentatively explored. Ironically, as far as I am aware, both issues would require that kit was set up in a consistent manner. A 'leading edge up hover' relies on some pretty basic physics as far as I am aware... There is no magic <grins>

Felix