1st Gen. Rev 1.5 questions

The Pontificator

Question

I have a Rev. 1.5 I purchased about a year after they were first intoduced. It's seen almost no airtime but I'm hoping to change that.

Got a few questions I'm hoping to get answered:

1. What kind of spars does my kite have? They're obviously some sort of wrapped carbon/glass with a Revolution logo on them but they're not otherwise branded.

2. What is the difference between my 1.5 and the 1.5 SLE?

3. What is the recommended wind range for my kite? What is the wind range of the newer 1.5 SLE?

4. What is the standard recommended length and weight of the lineset for general all-around flying? What is a recommended shorter length?

5. Can my 1st gen. 1.5 be retrofitted with lighter spars in order to fly it in lighter winds and if so, what brand and where may I purchase them?

6. How does one obtain the instructional DVD that now comes with new Rev kites?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John in SC

11 answers to this question

I have a Rev. 1.5 I purchased about a year after they were first intoduced. It's seen almost no airtime but I'm hoping to change that.

Got a few questions I'm hoping to get answered:

1. What kind of spars does my kite have? They're obviously some sort of wrapped carbon/glass with a Revolution logo on them but they're not otherwise branded.

If the label say "Revolution Equipped", then it is the 4 wrap. If it says "Ultra Light", it is 3 wrap.

2. What is the difference between my 1.5 and the 1.5 SLE?
The original 1.5 had a nylon sail, different sail panel layout, all 1/4" rods and some other things.

The SLE has a polyester sail, 3 leading edge rods are 3/8" and the other 2 are 1/4"

3. What is the recommended wind range for my kite? What is the wind range of the newer 1.5 SLE?

Take a look at the Revolution Web site.

4. What is the standard recommended length and weight of the lineset for general all-around flying? What is a recommended shorter length?
80/90 lb at about 80 ft. Shorter is totally dependent on what you want to do.
5. Can my 1st gen. 1.5 be retrofitted with lighter spars in order to fly it in lighter winds and if so, what brand and where may I purchase them?

Rev offers the two above mentioned and the "Professional Only" 2 wrap as standards. Special are possible.

6. How does one obtain the instructional DVD that now comes with new Rev kites?
Contact Revolution direct, they can advise you.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John in SC

Thanks for the quick reply.

I need to start using my reading glasses on the flying field. :rolleyes: My spars are the "Ultra Light" 3-wrap version which is a good thing as I generally fly inland. I'll consider purchasing a set of 4-wrap rods for higher wind use.

My present (and only lineset) is approximately 75-80 feet long. Whether it is 80/90 lb. or 150 lb. spectra is anyone's guess. I made the lineset 8 years ago and I have completely forgotten. The line, purchased in bulk from Hang 'em High, is thicker for its strength than the pricier brands.

the wind ranges for both are fairly the same it all depends on the frames you can interchgange frames on both kites the best to use are 2 wrap 3 wrap 4 wrap the 2 wrap is great for lighter winds 2 to 6 3 wrap is good for normal winds 8 to 12 4 wrap is good for stronger winds 12 to 20 as the rev specs give you in my opion i would fly the 1.5 in a windrange between 4 and 10 mph no more no less keep in mind you can also get a 1.5 sul and 1.5 vented the vented is really nice in heavy winds and the sul is nice for really light winds

the wind ranges for both are fairly the same it all depends on the frames you can interchgange frames on both kites the best to use are 2 wrap 3 wrap 4 wrap the 2 wrap is great for lighter winds 2 to 6 3 wrap is good for normal winds 8 to 12 4 wrap is good for stronger winds 12 to 20 as the rev specs give you in my opion i would fly the 1.5 in a windrange between 4 and 10 mph no more no less keep in mind you can also get a 1.5 sul and 1.5 vented the vented is really nice in heavy winds and the sul is nice for really light winds

I too have found the extreme difference in using the UL in the 1.5 vented for lighter winds.I just love it :wub: . This weekend I went out in some pretty hefty winds around 20 and gusty. Since I still had the light frame on from the last time, I just flew like that. It was of course a great time :P . I had to stay on the edges sometimes just to maintain control. What would have been the difference in flight characteristics if I had put the original frame back on?

Found out you can fly a 1.5 Vented, a B series. With 2 leading edges in side by side in winds gusting to above 40 mph. John B was using it as a power kite. I am sure his arms are longer now. But then Lam with his Sea Devil was getting dragged along as well.

There I go name dropping :lol:

John, where are you in SC? I live in Charlotte and work just over the line in Fort Mill, SC.

Doug

Outside Columbia. I flew up in Charlotte back in...oh...1997 maybe. Some SKC held on/near the old PTL complex.

At this point I'll probably just buy extra sets of spars for lighter/heavier wind work. I am "kite poor" and have no present plans on buying any more.