SLE vs. Standard - Mylar vs. Cloth

CLTKiter

Question

I have a Sedgwick Rev I with SLE (and also 2-wrap spars), and am considering another Rev I.  I can guess that the SLE is stiffer than the regular spars.  And also guess that the mylar is stiffer than all-cloth.  But what would I see with actual flying?  Does it make a difference in low vs. high wind range?  Ability to do certain tricks?

I believe that it's John's preference for all cloth with standard spars.  But what about Monkey-Boy?  And others?  And why the preference?

Later, Doug

14 answers to this question

Just to confirm Doug's statement, I do prefer all cloth... While the mylar kites are still excellent, as a veteran and sensitive quad pilot of 15 years, I find that the mylar has a slightly "slipperier" feel in the air... Also, mylar won't stretch nearly as much as cloth, so eventually part of the kite will billow and hold wind (where it's stretched) and the mylar will not.

This has to be qualified again however, by saying that I've been flying Revs so long that I'd probably notice if a fly was riding around on one side, sending my balance off.  :lol:

I tend to like the all cloth sails as well but, I doubt I could tell the difference flying when flying with a blindfold on, I just tend to like the look of no mylar sails.  But, as John points out, stretching may or may not become an issue. One of the things with owning a rev is how long you'll probably be flying it. With a dual, its often "whats hot this month, must own one!" whereas my original 1.5 that I bought in 97 is still very flyable.

As with everything in life, it's not quite as simple as my friends would have you believe.

The SLE does have a place.  Personnaly I have been "anti" SLE for some years but have recently started flying with them again.  They perform best in the mid to upper wind range of which ever kite you are using them in.  They then give a degree a rigidity that allows for very solid flying.

However, whilst I have to agree with John ( :lol: ) I do find that the ordinary rod is far more effective in the light to medium wind range of the kite.  Therefore.  buy both and get the maximum out of your kite.

Enjoy.

Part of me says I'm just popping in to say "ME TOO"  but, I do agree.  While I have SLEs available for my 1s and 1.5s, I do tend use those only in higher winds, on vented kites. Otherwise I now ( as I used to adore the SLEs when they first came out) will stick to the thinner ones, often even using 2 of them (ie, a 2 and 3 wrap leading edge together for a pseudo 5 wrap  :wink: ) so that I can have a strong enough LE for the wind, but, still retain some of the flexibility I've grown accustomed to.

Rod availability is not a problem at all.  Rev usually has tons of rods in stock and we have never had any problem getting any type of rod from them for our shop.  We stock nearly every rod for every Rev all the time.

Avaliability in the UK may be a bit more difficult but it is not because of a lack of production, probably because of shipping costs, customs, etc...

Your local kite shop should be able to order in the rods for you.  If they aren't going to keep extra's in stock then I would suggest ordering in a couple spares as shipping is about the same for one shaft as it is for 10 shafts.

OK, now I'm lookig for some similar information...

I DID get a new Rev I (the USA Rev - #8) and I got it with standard spars -- 4-wrap).  I flew the kite yesterday in 6-8 mph winds and to my memory flew much better than my Sedgwick Rev I with SLE.  (didn't have the Sedgwick with me for comparison)

I also have a complete 2-wrap frame for the Sedgwick for flying in very light winds.  

So my question...  Since I believe that the Rev 1.5 comes with 3-wrap vertical spars, why is the standard frame for the Rev I use 4-wrap verticals?  Is there really that much stress on them?  Couldn't I use 3-wraps on the verticals for better performance?  I know that David (AKA Monkey-Boy) talked about a hybrid frame.  What do some people use for different frames for different wind ranges?  For example, my completely 2-wrap frame is only good up to about 8mph, I believe.  What do the rest use?  

I know, I know.  Several questions...

Later, Doug

My feelings with respect to verticals is that they just don't get anywhere near as much stress as the SLE gets while in flight, so, I'll usually stick to 2/3 wrap rods for those.

However, I typically will just grab whatever is handy at the time, especially in anything beyond "light wind"

I keep meaning to borrow a scale and do a complete chart on rod/sail weights, I'll try and get that project underway