Red Tide

mrdenny

I went out for a quick fly today and was greeted with a smell from hell :kid_devlish: . I figured a dead animal had washed ashore. I heard the "Red Tide" was in town but I gave it little thought as it has never bothered me before and I flew just yesterday. Today was different. I put my Rev up and started to walk toward the water where the wind would be a bit steadier. By the time I got there (2 min.) I was coughing and hacking so much I had to get back to the car, pack up, and leave. No wonder the beach was so vacant. Does this stuff hit places other than Florida? It sure put a damper on my day. :kid_brooding:

Red Tide" is a common name for a phenomenon known as an algal bloom, an event in which estuarine, marine, or fresh water algae accumulate rapidly in the water column, or "bloom". These algae, more specifically phytoplankton, are microscopic, single-celled protists, plant-like organisms that can form dense, visible patches near the water's surface.

Greetz

I went out for a quick fly today and was greeted with a smell from hell :kid_devlish: . I figured a dead animal had washed ashore. I heard the "Red Tide" was in town but I gave it little thought as it has never bothered me before and I flew just yesterday. Today was different. I put my Rev up and started to walk toward the water where the wind would be a bit steadier. By the time I got there (2 min.) I was coughing and hacking so much I had to get back to the car, pack up, and leave. No wonder the beach was so vacant. Does this stuff hit places other than Florida? It sure put a damper on my day. :kid_brooding:

They have them in San Diego as I have heard. They say it also stinks.

we just had a spell of it here on the central west coast {last week}... lots of birds were affected by eating bad food in the ocean and washing up on shore{some very sick & some dead} I saw one seal lion not very well...

the first storm front acts as mother nature cured and the red tide is now gone but kind of put the crab fisher men in a hurt traveling further north to fish outside the red tide zone.

I spent a better part of the day and the next pointing out the sick birds along the shore line for the SPCA ,fish and game & wild life and volunteer my services to pick-out and to pick up the birds using my buggy to travel faster and further along the beach and close the the ground using flags RED{dead} & YELLOW{sick} and using pet carriers to get some of the birds and bring back that was beyond the reach of the county service trucks.

At 1st they thought it was from the oil spill that happen north in the S.F bay area but no oily birds sad thing was no sooner on my turn around to head back more birds would wash up on shore

Just recently we had Swarms[is that what ther called or scholes]of, JELLY FISH, up in Scotland.They played havoc with the Salmon stock ther for a few days .

Had a monster JELLY FISH wash up at Ainsdale a few days after the reports.This mother was the size of a Car Wheel and almost as thick.Never seen them like that before at Ainsdale.

WEIRD MAN

BRIAN...ps,Nice Job Kiteslinger,must be sad and rewarding all in the same breath.

• 9 months later...
we just had a spell of it here on the central west coast {last week}... lots of birds were affected by eating bad food in the ocean and washing up on shore{some very sick & some dead} I saw one seal lion not very well...

the first storm front acts as mother nature cured and the red tide is now gone but kind of put the crab fisher men in a hurt traveling further north to fish outside the red tide zone.

I spent a better part of the day and the next pointing out the sick birds along the shore line for the SPCA ,fish and game & wild life and volunteer my services to pick-out and to pick up the birds using my buggy to travel faster and further along the beach and close the the ground using flags RED{dead} & YELLOW{sick} and using pet carriers to get some of the birds and bring back that was beyond the reach of the county service trucks.

At 1st they thought it was from the oil spill that happen north in the S.F bay area but no oily birds sad thing was no sooner on my turn around to head back more birds would wash up on shore

Careful you don't get sick Kiteslinger - some Red Tides can cause aweful bad problems for some people. (especially those with sinus or lung conditions) Not to mention, diseases from decaying fish and birds.

One time in Northwest Florida they posted signs everywhere not to enter the water - somewhere I have a picture of a bunch of kite boarders ignoring the warning signs. Not good. Please be careful and wash all your equipment accordingly.