Reflex spring

GioGazza

Question

Hi everybody,  

I’m newbie in rev kite. I bought a rev reflex 1.5 classic and in these days I’m trying to flying with that. I have a question about the setup of the spring. Watching the video tutorial, everyone put the reflex spring inside of the wing attaching that with velcro. It seems that my two rods have the same identical spring with any difference so I can mount a rod with spring inside of the wing and the other one outside of the wing. Any idea?

thanks

GG

0D0C0CB2-5CA3-4085-AAEE-7C272469DCDC.jpeg

B3CF708A-7503-450C-9F2A-96F982A4D926.jpeg

912042E8-8600-4006-8D26-4DFE6EF1B037.jpeg

402C4A06-A6F0-46F6-8654-76317376D869.jpeg

B766A28C-E492-4A5D-8494-6D8AD7898B3A.jpeg

9 answers to this question

Hi all flew my new EXP first time today had a great time, but noticed one of my Reflex springs doesn't seem to have as much tension as the other one, may have been damaged in a little crash, it didn't come with a spare, but got two spars instead of one, no complaints, and has any (new pilots) or fliers tried to fly without the springs, and what is the difference in flight between the two modes. 

Cheers.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:19 PM, Rickie said:

Hi all flew my new EXP first time today had a great time, but noticed one of my Reflex springs doesn't seem to have as much tension as the other one, may have been damaged in a little crash, it didn't come with a spare, but got two spars instead of one, no complaints, and has any (new pilots) or fliers tried to fly without the springs, and what is the difference in flight between the two modes. 

Cheers.

In the days before the springs and reflex everyone flew without them. You can fly with or without. They change the flight characteristics in some ways. Try it. The difference is not HUGE, but is more noticeable as you gain experience. The main difference is how the kite "floats" as you gain ground inverted, and being able to hover closer to the edge of the wind window. It does slow down some tricks and its desirability depends on your flying style. It does help beginners a bit with control as it makes the kite a bit less "squirrely" by slowing down its response to changes in wind speed. This can also be accomplished by additional brake in the tuning. The reflex does it without diminishing forward drive from inputs. It slows down the onset of "squirrely" but not its intensity if the gust persists. If this is a bit hard to wrap your brain around just give it time. It will become plain as you spend more time flying. 

• Like 1

Hey thanks i like all the aspects you mentioned with springs attached, i think it was too windy for a first flight, the kite was flying me instead, will try in lighter winds next time, when my flying improves will try it without springs i fly power kites, but need to get use to the rev but loving it loads, played with the spring a little and got them both even, it may have been bent slightly in a crash

thanks again,

Cheers.   

20 hours ago, Rickie said:

Hey thanks i like all the aspects you mentioned with springs attached, i think it was too windy for a first flight, the kite was flying me instead, will try in lighter winds next time

Try to fly in 5-10 mph wind until you have very good control. If you're fighting to stay airborne you're not developing the muscle memory to gain control of the kite's movement. Flying in less than ideal wind as a beginner makes it take longer to learn the basics, and you may pick up bad habits you'll have to unlearn later. Watch the video tutorials and know they are GOSPEL. Especially tuning basics -- use as much brake as you can and still lift off. 

• Like 1