Leaders ?

Nigel GF

Question

I have recently bought a JB Revolution 1.5 Signature Series (Standard) Kite also the 13" No Snag Handles,I have been flying my Revolution 1.5 SLE vented for a while now with the standard handles that came with the kite with no problem,but I thought that I would buy the 13" No Snag handles to use with my JB Revolution,but when flying the JB with these handles there seems to be to much brake as to really get the kite to accelerate I have to pull the top of the handles really hard back at quite a steep angle about 90 degrees to achieve this,compared to the standard handles,the length of leaders on the No Snag Handles are Top= 120mm Bottom (Brake) = 55mm where as the Standard 13" Handles that came with the Rev SLE are Top= 100mm Bottom (Brake) = 100mm.

I have adjusted the No Snag Handles so that the line is on the last knot on the leader at the Top (next to the handle) and the Bottom (brake) last knot on the leader away from the handle,but in light winds (4-5 mph) it does not accelerate with out pulling the handles back a very long way. What am I doing wrong ?

Nigel

4 answers to this question

You're not doing anything wrong. It will feel weird at first, but you'll get used to it. You can come in towards the handle one or two knots on top at first to make it a bit easier. When you can fly with maximum brake you will have maximum control. Once you are used to it, you will notice that flying in lighter winds is actually easier.

You are learning the "Theory of Brake"! Many of us had to "relearn" our hand position as we started out using more brakes in our setup. The object is to create a more controllable sail. Ever have gusts just take over your kite? Adding more brake puts a "neutral" in the kite. Think auto transmission - put a car in drive and let off the brakes on a flat surface. Eventually the car starts moving on it's own. Now leave a standard transmission in neutral - nothing happens. You must engage a gear to get the car going. To me, it puts you more in control over the kite. That's the closest explanation I have.

Been flying this setup for years now with much more brake, it did take time to learn. But the advantage is now I have a much "tamer" kite and can concentrate on seeing the picture in my head, not worry about my kite just taking off to who knows where!

Another advantage is in low winds. Most want to pull the top lines closer to the handle. That does let you launch, but hurts flying after you get it in the air. Think sailing - I did this for several years and think it explains. You can actually pull a sail in too tight to the wind. There is some "belly" in a sail, haul it it too tight and you lose that "belly". That = inefficient. By letting the tops out, you "square" the sail up to the available wind. Yes it is a bit more work to launch, but you should feel the sail capturing more air and staying full. And learning a gentle touch helps - it's real easy to just yank a kite out of the sky in those conditions.

But this is my preference, not everyone agrees, What works for me, may not for you, or vice versa! There is no one, perfect, way to do this! Everyone has some personal quirk to their setup, so there is no "right or wrong", just how it works for you!

All IMHO! YMMV!

• Like 1

I find the tops should be about 6.5 to 7.5 inches further out than the bottom as a good baseline. Some people will go further out, depends on handles and flying preference, but the above is a good baseline. I don't believe there is any merit in going less than that on standard equipment unless you like to hold the handles at the bottom or something really obscure.

I pretty much use one of two knots on my top leaders which cover me from light wind to overpowered. When handing off to someone who wants to give this flying thing a try, I will usually drop only one knot back on the top for them to make it a little easier, but that's usually only when I'm on my heavier brake setting in lighter wind. Failing that scenario, I leave it right where I fly and give them the handles.

Once you show someone how to launch correctly the setup is not a problem.

• Like 2

Hi Nigel,

Here are a couple of links showing pictures of what kwmf and I use, if you work through the forum you will find

more information especially how to take off !

Have a look at JB,s handles in the tutorial (Tuning Theory) and look at other videos of team fliers where there handles are visible !

Bill

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4409-my-leaders-your-thoughts/

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/6272-handle-length-and-bend/?hl=leaders#entry95524