Remove and Replace Ferrels

flt101

A week or so ago I broke a ferrel on a 2wrap frame, removing them from the inside out was fairly easy with my ol' trusty k40 cb antenna, I want to replace the ferrels with the ones that came on my race frame, my question is, being that they already have old glue on them is there any reason to glue them in if there is a nice tight fit? Or should I use a small dab of contact cement? I may want to pop them out easy if I need to in the future. If I don't break one these ferrels too, that is.

Problem is that if you replace them with the heavier duty ferule, you also add in weight. If weight is not an issue, I would just use the Race Frame and not worry about the 2 wrap frame.

Regardless, I would glue them in!!! I would take the chance of not being able to get them back out over the possibility of them coming lose during flight and puncturing a hole in my sail. Use super glue, not contact cement. Remember that even though they feel snug and tight now, during flight there is a lot of flexing and they will work themselves out of position, causing either breakage on the rod ends or puncturing your sail --- or both.

HEY no super-glue!,..

It's too brittle, instead take the time and effort to clean-out the spars inside (release agent from construction shall be removed!) and apply some five minute epoxy. Next take a nail file and ever so slightly round-off the very end off the ferrule so it can't pinch your leading edge fabric during assembly as easily.

I guess I make ferrels out of some rods I have and put the center race rods away. These are the Race SPL's, and they are too damn pretty to be hidden under a leading edge. I've use race rods mostly as verticals anyways.

ferules are not the place to save weight! I like the solid carbon ones, 4 inches long, but might pair 'em up with Zen rods or P-90s. Lots of flex in the leading edge allows for better no wind performance, a little step back and sharp jerk and it's cupped a bunch of air. The frame can store that compression and release it on command too! That local flight conditions modification carries a down-side. A great throw (covering a long distance) needs some mass.

Imagine pitching an SLE leading edge equipped kite instead of using the Zen rods (or whatever your lightest weight frameset is, on a 1.5 platform). That SLE thing would carve thru any kinda' wind doing 3-D tricks! But it won't allow you the no-wind performance. Everything is a trade-off. For me, I'd prefer to save weight someplace else and leave that ferule as the sole unbreakable link in the construction chain.

I was getting confused with this weight stuff, but the ferrels in the spl race rods I have are the same as the ferrels in the 2wrap rods that I have in out. And they are different than the ferrels in the black or green race rods I have out.

I was getting confused with this weight stuff, but the ferrels in the spl race rods I have are the same as the ferrels in the 2wrap rods that I have in out. And they are different than the ferrels in the black or green race rods I have out.

I think this difference may come from the age of your rods. I remember hearing not long ago, that Rev switched to hollow ferrules in all rods claiming that they are as strong as the solid ones. Granted, I have not looked into this much, but you tend to hear things while living in a kite shop.

Weight savings on the ferules is going to be so minimal that I don't think you will ever notice the difference (talking about grams or even less). I agree with Rev Flyer, you can maximize your weight savings somewhere else without compromising the durability of the frame.

I think this difference may come from the age of your rods. I remember hearing not long ago, that Rev switched to hollow ferrules in all rods claiming that they are as strong as the solid ones. Granted, I have not looked into this much, but you tend to hear things while living in a kite shop.

Ben posted about the new hollow ground ferrules that Revolution were introducing on the 18th November 2011.

Cheers

Stephen

• Like 1