UK ordering

david ellison

Hi all

My first post to this forum - can I buy anyone a virtual beer?

I've been flying revs on and off for 10+ years, taking part in UK and European competitions and have bags full of rev kites, spars and all the paraphanelia that goes with them.

I've read some posts here recently regarding ideas on how to get in touch with the worldwide Revolution family and making sure that the non-US rev fliers are included in what's happening. Well I have a request which would certainly help me to feel "wanted" by Revolution Inc.  :)

In September I ordered some replacement Rev 1 spars from a UK retailer, namely the 36 inch 3 wrap "Ultralight" sticks. Some 10 weeks later and I'm still waiting! The latest news is that the UK importer/distributor has no product ID for these spars and therefore cannot import them from the US The only ones that are listed are the 4 wrap Rev Equipped and the SLE spars.

Presumably the 3 wrap (and 2 wrap Professional Use) Rev 1 spars are still being made and sold. Can someone please help to improve the system so that I can buy them here in the UK?

cheers

Ben, You are working with Revolution. Could you find out the proper ordering number for the various REV I spars for David?

David, You could try ordering your REV I spars from a USA dealer who has them on stock and have them posted to you. That is if you are in a rush to get them. Of course you would want to way the price differences of buying locally versus shipping costs and customs.

@Mark - Old Speckled Hen? Havn't been asked for a pint of that for ages. But can I interest you in a glass of Betty Stoggs, fine west country ale from those nice people at Skinners Brewery. I'll think of you next time I'm making sure it's still keeping well!

Good to hear from you Mark, best wishes to you and Jeanette.

I've ordered Rev spars from US shops before. This time I was in need of a "quick" replacement just before EuroCup so I tried the UK route. Also I'd prefer to support the local shops - they need the business.

It does seem daft that the so-called UK distributor doesn't know what products are available  :oops: No wonder that so many folks in Europe use Skyshark rods and make their own sails. (Not so easy for Rev 1's that need the longer stick). Rev's are a great design - truly a kiting original - but not easy to do business with.

How can this be improved?  :idea:

David, if your UK shop is not supporting you, why should you?

Derek, REV spars have only 3 IDs.

1. the no wind ID which is only for the Revolution NoWind .

2. the standard ID, used on all other REVs in one way or the other.

3. the SLE ID for the Super Leading Edge.

The standard ID comes in quite a number of lengths and wrappings of 2,3,4 and 6. The number of wrappings effect the stiffness and weight. What David needs is the REV I spar which is 91cm(36") long, in both 2 and 3 wrap.

The 2 wrap is labeled "For Professional Use Only".

The 3 wrap is labeled usually "Ultralight"

The 4 wrap is labeled "Revolution Equipped"

The 6 wrap is usually labeled "Stiff"

John is correct all the store has to ask for is rev1 quarter inch 3 wrap and we make it happen, mostly what I see is the stores dont want to carry parts and Ive never understood that or they dont want to just order one thing. In all fairness since I came on board we have bent over backwards for the stores as for being hard to deal with well you tell me Im here tring to help you right now. Im a flier long before I went to work for Rev and as a flier I want to help, and people that know me know this and that why I always say here my email [email protected] if you got a problem or need help let me know the forums great but I want things to be personal and I want people to fly plain and simple. So if you can not get the store to order the right parts get me there email and Ill see what I can do, if that dont work let me know and you can order from me, most importantly is you flying everything else is bull so lets work together. Also this post was not in the open topic forum is there a reason you did this luckly I was checking stuff out tonight or I would have missed this problem. Ben

Thanks for the responses - glad it got your attention and please know that I too want to get people flying revs more.

This is not a problem with the UK shop. Infact they have been providing a good service. The issue is with the UK importer/distributor. All UK orders have to be routed through them. It seems that whoever is "in charge" of Rev products is not up to speed.

I'll email you beach

david,   i know the shop your on about,    i thought thy WERE the importers but i dont know.  john. i got my first rev last week and after reading your post i looked at all three of my l/e rods and thy are all blank (no labels) but hopefully i wont need replacements for a while !!!!!.    Regards    Derek            PS my rev is an EXP

david,   i know the shop your on about,    i thought thy WERE the importers but i dont know.  john. i got my first rev last week and after reading your post i looked at all three of my l/e rods and thy are all blank (no labels) but hopefully i wont need replacements for a while !!!!!.    Regards    Derek            PS my rev is an EXP

Maybe Ben(beach) can clear up what happened to the labeling on the EXP rods. I don't have an EXP, but if recall correctly, the EXP uses the "Ultra Light" three wrap rods. These are very tough rods despite being called Ultra Light. The 4 wrap "Revolution Equipped) would be a bit too heavy for most EXP flying.

OH and mines a dortmunder hansa beer thanks Dave    (virtual of course)   lovely gubly     Derek

A German beer, I must say!

If you want a really good German beer try the Munich beers from Augustiner. The Augustiner Export is the nicest, but it does have bit too much alcohol. I prefer in general the Augustiner Helles(light). Unfortunately, Augustiner appears not to export any of their beers outside of Europe and even that  is limited. I have heard they do not travel well and they do not want to modify them for the US market regulations.

Maybe Ben(beach) can clear up what happened to the labeling on the EXP rods. I don't have an EXP, but if recall correctly, the EXP uses the "Ultra Light" three wrap rods. These are very tough rods despite being called Ultra Light. The 4 wrap "Revolution Equipped) would be a bit too heavy for most EXP flying.

The EXP rods are unmarked as discussed in another thread,

they are the "Ultra Light " rods

I know what David means we have tried ordering rods through Dunstable Kites before they closed down and TKC just send the wrong stuff.

Also genuine Rev parts in the UK are expensive - $20 a spar, $8 for a pack of end caps etc

Woody

The EXP rods are unmarked as discussed in another thread,

they are the "Ultra Light " rods

I know what David means we have tried ordering rods through Dunstable Kites before they closed down and TKC just send the wrong stuff.

Also genuine Rev parts in the UK are expensive - $20 a spar, $8 for a pack of end caps etc

Woody

Try contacting Chill Out in Augsburg, Germany. There website is at www.chillout.org. The web site is partially in English and the owner Richard Graber does speak and writes English quite well. He has Rev 1.5 EXP rods for less then 10.00 Euros and ships free within Europe for all orders more then 75.00 Euros. I have no idea about availability of REV I or II rods, but he has also has the 1.5 SLEs and most of the speed series. The prices on all of his REV kites are some of the lowest in Europe and the cheapest in Germany. The only other in inexpensive shop I know of is Cometalia in Valencia, Spain. They also ship all over Europe. The owner Jose Royo does not speak English, but his business partner Domingo Pino is fluent in English.

Hi David, good to "hear" your voice here.

I deal with TKC for The Flying Squad and so far have had everything we need.  We deal with a guy called Ben Biscoe.

If you need something urgently in the future you can always let me know as we carry spares for pretty much everything.

What say you we try and persuade the guys at Rev to come over to Europe next year?  Warm beer, driving on the other side of the road and fish and chips! Who could resist?

Hi Stephen - Thanks for the offer of assistance. I'm OK for the moment but want to resolve this ongoing problem so that future orders are easier and much quicker. My understanding is that personnel changes at TKC may be part of the issue - I heard that Ben has moved on.

I sent Ben/Beach an email a week ago with some thoughts on the problems and long delays I've experienced getting hold of Rev stock in the UK. Not heard a reply yet  :roll:

What's that thing they say about the first rule of successful selling....something about keeping the customer happy  :!:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ian - Chalkies/Kiteworks was one of the many retailers that I contacted to find these UL/3 wraps back in September. They didn't have them.

My concern is that I've still heard nothing back from TKC or Revolution regarding helping me get these spars. Do all the claims to "only want to help us keep flying" mean **** all?!