Thoughts on stack configuration

kwmf

Looking for thoughts on setup for 2 stacks...

Both stacks would be a 3-stack of vented, mid, standard. I'm wanting thoughts on framing and link lines.

B2 stack: 3 wrap vented, 3 wrap mid, race standard and 100# stack lines

1.5 stack: 4 wrap vented, 3 wrap mid, 3 wrap standard and 170# stack lines

Overkill?

Under-kill?

Looking for thoughts on setup for 2 stacks...

Both stacks would be a 3-stack of vented, mid, standard. I'm wanting thoughts on framing and link lines.

B2 stack: 3 wrap vented, 3 wrap mid, race standard and 100# stack lines

1.5 stack: 4 wrap vented, 3 wrap mid, 3 wrap standard and 170# stack lines

Overkill?

Under-kill?

Stacks are AWESOME!!

The B2's; Front kite 3 wrap and the others can be 2 wraps.

The 1.5's; Front 2 kites 3 wraps and the 3rd can be a 2 wrap. If the wind gets up, 20kmh +, go to 4 wrap front.

I've flown a 4 stack, Vtd-Mid-Std-Std and I went 4-3-3-2.

I use #150 x 80' as this is the strongest lines I have and have found that quite adequate. I won't go in bigger than 20kmh with anything more than 3 kites together till I get bigger lines.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 1

1.5 stack: 4 wrap vented, 3 wrap mid, 2 wrap or race for standard

I use 150# x 85 lines

they feel more solid than your standard 90#

I use the standard stack lines from awoc

as posted before I don't use the 7th stack line for a 3 stack.

Just came back from a hour in the fields.

a small 2-3 Bft and it takes of with ease

After an hour try flying your standard 1.5

It will feel like a autumn leaf in a hurricane.

andré

Victory ... 3 stack B2 vented - mid - std ... worked out well.

No idea what the wind speed was - 1.5 mid was flying powered up and vented was flying light (with no need to work it to keep in the air). The stack framing was 3 wraps in the vented and mid and race in the standard. Link lines were 100# bridle line.

I tried with and without the 7th line (middle one) and found no real difference in the flexing of the frame or responsiveness, etc. What I did feel (backed up my my friend) was that there was a little more wobble going on at the back when you made sudden inputs. I know you're supposed to be smooth with stacks but I was intentionally trying to induce wobble to get a comparative. Ultimately I decided I preferred it just a little more with the 7th line attached.

Overall it flew well - it wasn't too keen on hovers (unless you slowly came to a stop) and reverse required a REAL subtle touch ... but no matter how much bobbing and weaving I induced in the stack, the moment I engaged forward drive it all locked right up instantly and flew like a dream. Slides are also pretty cool with this thing as well.

I'm sure I could fiddle a lot more and reduce the bobble a bit, but seeing as how forward drive locks everything up immediately, I don't think I've done too badly on my first attempt.

post-3221-13514970657759_thumb.jpg

post-3221-13514970689073_thumb.jpg

post-3221-13514970718547_thumb.jpg

post-3221-13514970747657_thumb.jpg

That looks AWESOME!! My B2 is red and grey so now I can see what it'd look like as a triple.

You probably already know this but take out some brake as stacks hate too much, and if you shorten the bottom link lines to the last kite by a little (less than 13mm) that takes out a heap of that wobble.

Again your stack looks really sweet! Nice job.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Took out 3 inches of brake compared to normal, will probably reduce that to 2 next time.

I didn't mess with the back link lines, all 100% equal. I only get the wobble if I make abrupt changes in direction, sudden stops, etc ... as soon as I drive forward it locks right up.

Will consider messing with the bottom 2 links on the back next time out. Next time out is likely going to be at a public event so I may just leave it as is rather than introduce variables. Perhaps I'll tie an additional knot at home where I can ensure it's even and if I don't like it I'll just untie it on the field.

Great pictures.

The public will love it!!

andré

ps

I tend to slowly walk along during a vertical reverse flight

and slowly walk forward during reverse up

it keeps the stack a bit longer stable (happy)

but overall it's against it's nature to go back

If you keep the break it's flight becomes more majestic although you need more wind.

Probably like a Zen which I never had the pleasure to pilot.

Steve, you can hover the stack you just need to be at the edge of the wind window. While yours is different seeing that you have a full vent, mid vent, then full sail the kites at the front rob wind from the ones behind. That is why the stack will shake if you try and stop in the middle of the window. Slight forward movement or being at the edge or top of the wind window will stop the movement.

-Alden

Remember that the progressive stack that you have assembled flies different than a "linear" stack of Revs. Some of the guidance you've received is applicable to both configurations; fly the last kite, fly at the edge of the wind window for better control, greatly reduce the brake for better control, don't make sudden movements, etc.

But, on a progressive, since each kite is "progressively" larger, they all get much more wind pressure than the following kites in a linear stack. That means the progressive stack is capable of more maneuvers than a linear stack. I've purpose built a linear stack of six 5-foot Rev-like kites and a progressive Rev-like stack with the large kite smaller than a Rev II ... this was done with Ben's permission. The linear stack will back up parallel to the ground, but not vertically. The progressive, after some fine tuning and practice, reverses quite well ... including doing a reverse circle. In the middle of the wind window, the progressive is more stable than the linear stack. I see no reason why the full size Rev stacks won't handle the same.

One additional piece of information. With a progressive stack, you'll find that it flies similar to the characteristics of the largest kite. When you input a control movement, it affects each kite based on it's vertical rod length. Have someone launch your progressive stack from ground level while you stand off to the side. You'll notice that the leading edge of the rear kite will rotate forward much less than the leading edge of the first kite. In fact, you can almost stall the front kite while the rear kite is still flying under load.

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom

Great info to make note of... My stack is linear though - all B2 sail. It's just the venting that changes - vented, mid, standard... But all B2.

Oh darn, just roll your eyes, ignore me, and keep on with the discussion about linear stacks. Geez, now where did I leave my walker??? Soon as I find it, you'll find me in the corner with my dunce cap on!!!

Cheers,

Tom

Not a problem ...

Do you own a Rev I? Or have access to one? While you're trying out stacks, you might try out a Rev II, Rev 1.5, Rev I progressive stack. The stack lines are the same length on a progressive as they are on a linear, so it would be easy to switch it up using pigtails on the various kites.

Linear stacks are fun to fly (I've also own a 3-kite stack of 1.5s), but the progressives are more enjoyable for the flier. With a progressive, you get to see all three kites while flying. With a linear, you get to see the last kite peek out from the stack once in a while.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1