interested in entertainment?

REVflyer

Hi Quincy....

I don't know if any videos/photos were taken. If I hear of anything, I'll post the links.

It was a great idea that turned into a fantastic time for all. I can't wait to do it again.

Thanks, Laura. Sounds like a good time for sure.

Smithy,

It went exactly as I expected, . . . a revolutionary entertainment activity with lots of uncontrollable variables, so every contestant feels they equally had a chance to claim the grand prize and be paired-up with that last partner standing at the podium. Each performance got better as we went along. The judging quality improved too, the callers become more attuned to the objectives (entertainment wins the crowd, not just flying a tight figure in precision)

I would have liked to have had more crowd interaction, but we needed 2 solid hours of time commitment to run the whole list of 18 entries thru the mill. No one except other kite flyers would sit that long (unless they knew what they we getting into from their own past personal experiences, then they'd jump on the chance to be back!)

At WISKF (or other similar kiting places that are very well attended by the family) this event could take all day long, using: an entire field, a dedicated announcer, a quickie score-keeper & a sound system, etc. You'd have to schedule occasional breaks for the old folks like me too, I need to sit down for my achy back, use the pottie frequently, smoke, spit, drink fluids, eat something, quick safety meeting or adjust something kite-related.

Barbara recommended thirty 3 x 5 note cards with a few specific calls laid out in advance, one line of text copy for each call, outlined style. You & your partner would each pick 2 cards as you went out to compete, give 'em a quick browse and then the announcer simply reads 'em aloud OVER the music. Let's just admit now, that some of us are much more suited to leadership (caller roles) then others! Personally, I'm not fit to be anyone's leader and I simply refuse to be closely monitored by anyone as well, but I am FUN to be around in small doses.

Music tracks should be around, or under 3 minutes in overall length and without any vocals.

If we run the darn thing a couple more times we'll iron out all the bugs and still make it fun, but it's gotta' move faster, like a stop-watch, otherwise flyers will vanish without a trace before we can declare a winner.

Gambling?

could make it even more exciting, we could give each other odds, parley our winnings, figure out the hook or the over & under, even using the entry fee serial numbers ~ liar's poker style? Okay I guess that's a little over the top, forget all about the gambling option!

Hi Paul--

Right on!!! A few small tweaks.... nothing major and it will be perfect. :) Then again, just flying with the gang is perfection... in itself !!!! It's extremely fair. You don't know who you'll be paired with AND, if you make it through the next round, the pairs change. The spectators DEFINITELY need to hear the music and the calls.

From the feedback I got, they loved it and learned a lot. Perhaps the person getting the scores (Mike Mossman's role most of the time) can explain the various moves and the good/bad after the scores are given; just to give the spectators a better understanding. They liked learning and were starting to "get" what a Pez down is and some of the other moves!!! Granted that the judges were mostly kite folks; but in the future, you never know who will be judging.

On the lighter side, you are a blast to fly next to... or anywhere on the line with!!!!!! kid_loved.gif It's just a good time; and I can't wait for the next event!!!!!

Thanks for a great idea and lots of fun this past week.

See you soon.

xoxo

• 2 weeks later...

Quincy,

I finally got my video processed of 2 performances in the Mystery Rev Ballet. It features most of the first round of Ben & Kurtis, followed by JB & Wen. The video quality is not bad considering that I used my sunglasses-mounted HD keychain camera for this, but the aiming is not always accurate and sudden head movements make for abrupt panning. Here is the link:

Here is a still photo of JB doing the calls for Ben & Kurtis.

post-2157-131881892061_thumb.jpg

Quincy,

I finally got my video processed of 2 performances in the Mystery Rev Ballet. It features most of the first round of Ben & Kurtis, followed by JB & Wen. The video quality is not bad considering that I used my sunglasses-mounted HD keychain camera for this, but the aiming is not always accurate and sudden head movements make for abrupt panning. Here is the link:

Here is a still photo of JB doing the calls for Ben & Kurtis.

post-2157-131881892061_thumb.jpg

Thanks for putting up the video, Wayne.

Pretty good video for a keychain camera despite the odd panning.;)